Apollo 11 anniversary

Never would have dreamed while watching this, that we wouldn’t have landed on Mars a long time ago…

I look at this and think, “We did this 50 years ago… and we couldn’t do it today.”

We have not come far if something we did 50 years ago that was a technological achievement, we couldn’t do now from a political standpoint.

Hell, it seemed perfectly plausible that we would be going to Jupiter by 2001. We all got sucked in by science fiction stories.

Aldrin & Collins sat down for an interview at the launch pad for the anniversary

I’m going to be celebrating the 50th Anniversary here

Another cool video - an interview with the guy who wrote the code with the 1201/1202 errors.

This is pretty interesting article on restoring the Apollo 11 computer. Sorry it’s behind a paywall,

I’ve only listened to the first one of this podcast, it was excellent.

I also got a laugh over this.

And this…

Or this

The whole series about the restoration is worth watching and fascinating in my opinion, even if, like me, you don’t understand 99,98% of it.

Celebrating the anniversary by watching some of HBO’s From The Earth To The Moon, which for a long time wasn’t available to stream, but now is. Spider, the episode about the designing of the LM, is really wonderful.

50 years ago humans left one world and walked on another. To me that is a triumph not just for our species but for all living things. Sid Meier’s Civilization called Apollo a Wonder of the World, and that seems right to me. I guess I am a sentimentalist.

I was 10. I remember staying up late to watch with my parents and siblings. I was already reading reading sf by this point.

I was certain by the time I was older, I’d be able to go there, too. The future seemed infinite.

My favorite thing to have watched so far to commemorate the moon landing is the wonderfully droll Australian film, The Dish. If it gets a bit oversentimental at times, I forgive it…because that little movie – maybe better than any documentary or bigger budget film – fully captures the wonder that Apollo 11 created at the time. It’s a lovely little film.

Being projected on the Washington Monument at night this past week and weekend:

I was seven; we went to my father’s office (a converted fire station in Heidelberg, where the army counter-intelligence unit he led was headquartered) to watch it on a very small black and white TV. Awesome stuff, to see the future–or so we thought.

At least you can do it in VR now.

I was 17. We had tickets for a Broadway play matinee (Little Murders, iirc), and decided to go anyway. Amazingly, they stopped the play in the middle and wheeled a TV onto the stage so the audience could watch the coverage.

I tired to watch First Man on HBO last night and found myself bored silly. Who is streaming The Right Stuff?

I don’t see CNN’s Apollo 11 documentary mentioned here. It is excellent. I highly recommend watching.

Thanks, I was looking for a recommendation of all the documentaries out there, to watch tonight.

Scott Manley walks through the actual first words spoken on the surface of the moon.