Apollo 11 anniversary

So my local news played a cut of VP Pence telling some group celebrating the anniversary that we will be back on the moon in five years. No way in hell is that happening.

It could happen, but it won’t.

Pence means he’s sending everyone who applies for asylum–unless they’re from, I dunno, Norway–to the moon.

I watched that when it came out, a fun and funny movie, that if I remember correctly does exactly what you said, captures the wonder of Apollo. Netflix doesn’t have it where did you watch it?

I recently attended a wedding and ended up talking to an Uncle of one of the brides. He told me about his father, who worked in computers for a military contractor and spent those days in the Pacific monitoring the space craft in the 60’s and 70’s. He said he had all kinds of stuff that his father left him from those days.

Definitely worth catching on the small screen. For me it was less a documentary and more like a real life thriller. Also, the music was fantastic.

Here is my ranking of the recent Apollo stuff

Chasing the Moon 3 parts (PBS), best space show since from the Earth to the Moon.

First Man ; Great special effects, and Armstrong story really hasn’t be told other than the book of the same name.

CBS Apollo 11 broadcast. I saw about 1.5 hours on C-Span of the space walk. But thankfully CBS put it on YouTube. Walter Cronkite’s commentary is what makes all the difference. He was a huge space fan, and provides all kinds of new information.

Apollo 11: CNN film, I saw it both in the theaters and on the small screen. It was pretty, and the music was good, but honestly I found it pretty dull.

Thank you a lot for the link to the broadcast: this will be the first time for me to watch those images.

The theatrical film “Apollo 11” is now on Amazon. It’s built entirely out of NASA footage and a little bit of graphics to illustrate the various space maneuvers. I haven’t seen the full thing, but I did see the “First Steps edition” yesterday at my local museum IMAX. That’s a 45-minute distillation of the mission from launch to recovery. Really amazing footage.

NASA legend, founding engineer, and flight director of damn near everything in the first decades of NASA has died.

The best way to celebrate the historic anniversary? Immortalize it in butter!

Wow, but considering it’s the moon, wouldn’t cheese have made more sense?

A version of the moon landing in marching band format.

Very cool. I think that is the most elaborate March ing band show I’ve ever seen.

This is very neat story of one the most iconic photos ever.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/apollo-11-buzz-aldrin-face-photo

(at the risk of derailing the thread) They do stuff like that every home game.

I think China has better marches.