Apology Judgement Thread of Humiliation

Even if that’s what he’s saying (which admittedly didn’t come across to me) doesn’t that just mean that deterrence is a “thing” for the poor but not for the rich? I don’t get how being unequal makes it not a thing.

The justice system isn’t cruel in order to deter crime. It’s cruel because the powerful want to use it to control everyone else, and deterring crime is just the story we tell to justify that oppression.

It’s like politicians who say they will be tough on crime, or that they’re running on law and order. What they mean is vote for me because I mean to fuck the poors and minorities.

Meanwhile, in 2019, I’m pretty sure you could just put this on a bumper sticker verbatim.

It turns out you can speak for Tortilla! Maybe even other delicious Tex Mex foods as well.

If everyone who committed a crime was offered the chance to plead guilty, apologize, and pay a hefty fine to avoid jail time I’d be sympathetic to this idea, but the reality is the dude who robs a liquor store gets years in prison. So no, some jail time for this kind of bribery is deserved. Don’t forget there’s also money laundering here as they misrepresented the revenue used to pay the college bribes.

Yup, bribery is a predicate crime, so money laundering is in scope.

We have a new entry for this thread!

We moved too quickly in our decision, and then, to make matters worse, we were too slow to talk with all of you. We didn’t live up to the high standards we set for ourselves. We failed in our purpose.

I am sorry and I accept accountability. What exactly is our purpose? BlizzCon is demonstrating it as we speak. We aspire to bring the world together in epic entertainment. I truly believe in the positive power of video games.

When we get it right, we create a common ground where the community comes together to compete, connect, and play, irrespective of the things that divide us. BlizzCon has people from 59 countries all around the world at the show today. That is amazing. That is the positive power of video games — to transcend divisions around us. We will do better going forward. But our actions are going to matter more than any of these words. As you walk around this weekend, I hope it’s clear how committed we are to people expressing themselves.

We’ve seen many of you expressing yourselves this morning.

Today you’re going to see a lot of the hard work of the Blizzard team. I am personally so proud of what we are building and I hope you love it too. Thank you for joining us.

1 point in favor - He directly said “I’m sorry” and that he would take responsibility.

A million points against - He did not directly address what happened or why people were mad. He didn’t detail how he would correct the issue. He used much of the “apology” to toot his company’s horn.

Verdict: it’s a shit apology.

He didn’t even say Hong Kong

It’s really bad, like near the bottom of the apology list and so dang generic and vague in addition to promising pretty much nothing.

Weaksauce for sure.

“Gee, we apologize. Because we’re a video game company, and we should just make fun, sugary video games. We never should have become involved in any matters involving Great Leader, and the wayward children. Such things are far above our heads. We just make video games. It was our fault for becoming involved in important matters involving Great Leader. May the great and numerous people of Chin. . . . the World long enjoy our bountiful harvest of products!”

[nervous look over shoulder]

Should have just shouted “FOR THE HORDE!” That would have at least been a better apology.

Fucking dead to me. 0/10.

Not good enough, Blue.

The worst part of that is how 75% of the “apology” was an ad for BlizzCon.

We need fresh blood in here. It’s been too long. Let’s take a look at this one…

A Denver talk radio host has been fired after he said he wanted “a nice school shooting” to interrupt coverage of “the never-ending impeachment of Donald Trump.” The firing came just hours after a father who lost his son in a school shooting in Colorado earlier this year said the host should be fired.

And what kind of apology do you get for not really kidding when you joke about children dying by violence? This one!

The host issued a statement on his Twitter account, saying, “I made an inappropriate comment meant as a joke. I’m sorry it was not received that way.”

He’s sorry everyone’s receiving skills aren’t up to par. F.

Agreed. Any apology that includes a knock against the lackwit cretins who didn’t understand that it was just a joke, dammit! is a crap apology.

And it wouldn’t have been hard to tweak that just a little bit to make it a decent apology: “I made an inappropriate comment meant as a joke. I’m sorry that my attempt at humor crossed the line, and I apologize to all my listeners and especially those who were hurt by my words."

Also, who the hell is dumb enough to make a school-shooting joke like that? There are school shooting just about weekly now.

What he said was just terrible, and yeah there are more than a few parents worried about their kids every time they go to school. It’s a horrific state of affairs we’re in.

It reminds of the old “if rape is inevitable…” comment that a newscaster got fired over way back in the '60’s, I believe.

I’ve made more tasteless jokes than that, though I’m not a radio host.