Apple Event WWDC 2019

Rare air. I do wonder what the market is for $35k Macs. Is it tens of thousands?

The last cheesegrater mac pro started at $2499 in 2012 which is around $2900 today adjusted for inflation, so the real price of the entry-level Mac Pro literally doubled.

But your point is right-on. The macbooks pro and imacs serve most of the pro audience quite well, and they aren’t wildly overpriced.

I watched a bit of the reveal stuff today. I like that the stand for the fancy monitor cost $999.

For a stand.

Looking at the Mac Pro vs iMac Pro, I am leaning towards actually getting a Mac Pro when it’s time to upgrade in a few years. While the 256GB SSD sucks, I can buy an aftermarket SSD and use that for my home directory. It is way more upgradable than the iMac Pro and will last a long time.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Overcast does it, but barely. To hear Marco discuss it on Accidental Tech Podcast, it’s a miracle it works at all, and syncing is still a huge pain.

I didn’t follow the keynote close enough to catch whether there’s any hope of that changing with the new watchOS.

Which is to say, back to @Ginger_Yellow’s original point about it being Shifty Jelly’s fault Pocket Casts doesn’t sync and not Apple’s fault, I suspect it’s sort of both.

That is perfect

It’s not great if I have a new podcast I want to listen to now, but my watch always has a couple on it when I go out. It used to be worse about it, but at some point got a lot better. Right now the newest podcast on it was released Sunday night.

Yeah that’s what I mean. It’s great that it has that functionality, but you have to take a rather patient and forgiving approach to syncing. The watch needs to be on the charger, and you can’t force-sync anything in a timely fashion.

For a lot of developers, I suspect they’d see those caveats and decide the negative feedback on implementing offline sync with similar restrictions would be more of a hassle than not doing it at all, because conceptually the problem is “simple” to customers.

“My podcasts are on my phone, just send them to my watch. Now. Quickly. What do you mean that’s ‘difficult’?”

So what would Dell sell that monitor stand for? $300? 500? Has anyone seen a cost estimate from a non-angry person who knows manufacturing?

Don’t all Dell monitors come with a free stand? :)

The stand is just metal, right? It doesn’t even have any ports or anything, right?

Crazy.

It has magnets, though. EVERYTHING is better with magnets.

I mean it’s probably a really fucking good monitor stand. But $999 seems crazy to me. Maybe if I were an editor at Jerry Bruckheimer’s production company I’d feel differently though.

Oh hell yes.

I can justify the pricing for the Pro because it is an insane computer. That monitor stand is the Apple Edition Watch of stands.

I think the problem is Apple’s intended market is no one. But people keep begging them for professional grade stuff since they are trapped in the MacOS ecosystem, so their compromise is to make them pay through the nose.

I mean, charging 6 grand for the entry level which only includes a $20 256GB SSD is just an insult. And anyone could build a 16 core ryzen system right now that would smoke this thing for 1/3rd the cost.

And don’t get me started on the monitor stand. Is it even optional? Does the monitor not have VESA mounts at all? We’re like a half step away from $500 power adapter cables* here.

*Sold separately.

Whoof. Ok. Day one of labs complete. Time for dinner, then off for Haberdasher. See y’all in the drunk thread!

I don’t think they do plan to sell a lot of them, that’s partly why they cost so much. They custom design and build these things for a small audience. Yeah, Apple is ridiculous with the storage and the stand (and the monitor for that matter), but you don’t have to buy them either. There is an audience for these things, or they wouldn’t make them.

And stuck in macOS? A lot of people love Mac hardware. The iMac Pro is very popular in the Mac community, it’s not cheap, but people seem to love it. And my current iMac wasn’t cheap but I adore it. Best computer I have ever owned and I had no problems with the price.