Apple iPhone 12 Event - October 13, 2020

Want to impress me with your 5 nm technology? Forget phones, partner with Nvidia to make some GPUs.

I know this, just wondering what the theoretical advantage even is.

I get it if they’re moving into home internet with those speeds, where there could be many devices sharing bandwidth, but why would anyone need that speed just walking around with their phone?

Well, why would you want to pay for internet access twice? Why should we pay a mobile provider and for home internet? I can imagine a future where you just pay once, for the data. But that won’t happen with 5G because mmWave is BS.

I’m starting to think you’re not on the 5G train.

5G has value. In congested urban areas you’ll see better performance and latency. It also has far greater range in the sticks. It just won’t feel different for anybody, really. Your speedtests won’t be much faster in most situations but you’ll notice better coverage and less dropouts. It’s only mmWave 5G that’s BS.

OK MagSafe for iPhone is cool. Not leaked at all!

Yeah that’s great for driving. Everybody has little magnet stickers on the back of their phones, that will no longer be necessary.

Also note wireless charging is now up to 15w; previous phones only worked up to 7.5w.

“Big environmental news”. Heh. Meaning, no charger or earphones.

We’re giving you less, charging you more, and you’re going to love it!

(note: I’ve got way too many headphones and chargers in my drawer so it’s fine with me)

Way to spin removing the charger and headphones.

Yep, called that one. Hardly Stusserdramus, it was well-telegraphed. Scumbags.

Now if they said “If you buy a new iPhone and need a charger, just tick the box and we’ll include one for $5”, that would have been different.

I really dig that blue color, though. Probably the one I’m going to get.

We haven’t heard about the iPhone 12 Pro yet.

Yes, that is very deliberate. The iPhone is the model they expect people to buy. The iPhone Pro is the halo product.

Much like Nvidia with the 3080/3090. It’s smart marketing.

That said, it’s been 2 years on my XS Max so I’ll probably get a 12 Pro Max even though I’m not enthusiastic about this generation. If they sold an iPhone 12 Max (non-Pro) I would get that, I like the larger screen.

Hmm, RAW shooting without needing a third-party app. That might be nice.

Apple goes raw dog all day, yo.

I think Apple has successfully convinced me that I don’t need the iPhone 12 Pro.

Definitely. Like I said, it they sold a larger baseline iPhone I would buy that instead. The Pro doesn’t offer jack to me other than screen size. It’s an objectively bad deal too.

I dunno. Recording video in HDR is pretty awesome.

Apple’s been trying to sell this AR stuff for years now. Nobody cares, Apple. Stop it.

If I actually used my phone as a camera I’d agree. I hardly ever do, though. And never for video.

Really weak update for Apple this year overall. That said, new physical design and dropping prices by $50, they’ll do fine.