Apple Press Event - Sept 12, 2012

Let’s do it up right, with the live blogging and the punditry and the fanboyism and the skepticism!

Starts in about three more hours. Any predictions?

Mine are:

[ol]
[li]The leaks were all real, so we know exactly what the phone looks like (one row of icons taller, no wider, metal back, tiny dock connector).[/li][li]No iPad mini announcements, this is going to be about known devices, so we’ll hear about iPhones and iPod touches. Possibly other new iPods.[/li][li]Something surprising. I’m really hoping for some kind of music discovery / radio service. I’m thinking somewhat like Pandora, and somewhat like Spotify, but based on your iTunes Genius results. It would be wonderful if this was part of iTunes Match.[/li][li]The tech press will be underwhelmed by the iPhone 5, calling it incrementally improved.[/li][li]iPhone 5 will have LTE, but no NFC (how’s that for TLA-soup?).[/li][/ol]

I’m glad I got to start this thread. It’s usually me that does (unless it’s Woolen Horde)! Does that mean I’m the biggest Apple fanboy here, beating out rei? :)

Only thing I care about is a new iPod with a bigger SSD and a bigger battery. Probably not going to happen though, unless you count the iPad mini, which I don’t.

Some early news is already leaking out, thanks to people using search on Apple’s site. They’ve discovered that they’re at the very least launching a new iPod touch and iPod nano. So, it’s not looking good for your regular new iPod – I think the iPod touch is the future of the “larger” sized iPods.

Pages discussing a new iTunes have also been found, to which I say “Hallelejah!”. iTunes is a decrepit legacy software that is in need of serious revamp.

The ipad mini announcement is next month.

I expect a slightly larger iphone, 16:9 screen, slightly faster ARM A9 dualcore CPUs, slightly faster GPU (not the quadcore GPU in the ipad3), full world LTE, and no NFC. Same battery life, even though it will use a 22nm SoC, because it will be a bit thinner.

There’s a small chance it has the ARM A15 SoC, and that would be amazing. But it is a very small chance.

Oh, and the new plug will happen too.

iPad Mini? So … something between and iPad and an iPhone screen?

Presumably, an iPad Mini would be a 7" screen.

Some early news is already leaking out, thanks to people using search on Apple’s site. They’ve discovered that they’re at the very least launching a new iPod touch and iPod nano. So, it’s not looking good for your regular new iPod – I think the iPod touch is the future of the “larger” sized iPods.

Just saw the Verge’s story on that news. To clarify, I meant iPod Touch. I just don’t have confidence that Apple is moving in the direction I want them to for it. We haven’t had a more than 64GB capacity idevice since the iPod Cllassic, and they clearly favour thinner over more battery life and cheaper (relatively) over more storage. Possibly with the fall in SSD prices now will be the time for a 124GB iPod (I hope so), but I suspect that whatever trade-offs they make they’ll end up with the same effective battery life (for gaming) that the current gen has. In other words, rubbish. The new battery will probably be better ceteris paribus, but it will be powering a better processor and maybe a bigger screen. I’d like them to double the thickness/weight of the device to get more juice in the battery, but that’s clearly against their design philosophy.

Let me give you all a warning… when you begin using iOS 6 and/or Facebook integration with any of your Apple devices, DO NOT allow it to access your contacts. I did this by mistake and it added a contact, with a Facebook email address, for EVERY “friend” I have on Facebook. What a colossal f-up on my part.

If I was an Apple-person, I’d be pretty pissed about this.

I’m ready to order my new phone! Latest rumors as of yesterday were that pre-orders wouldn’t start until Friday, though.

It’s been only how many years? Yeah, it’s still a change.

I’m curious to see the new chip, just because I care about that stuff, but don’t expect much of it just the incremental improvement. Curious if they have anything really new on the phone, because all the leaks just show standard stuff, I feel the last great advance was the retina displays, all smartphones seem to fell into the small logical increments pretty fast.
I’m new to an IPhone 4 so care more to see when IOs6 comes to the masses rather then the new phone because I’m not buying it, have to say that IOs6 impending release already had positive effects, the standalone Youtube app from Google is much better the the Apple one, so hoping that a standalone Google maps app is much better then the current stock, or maybe they made a better one with the new maps let’s see.

No kidding. No doubt there will be some sort of adaptor come out as an in elegant solution for some people but others will be completely screwed because their iPhone no longer fits in their stereo anymore. I solved that problem by swearing off apple forever. It’s working out quite well so far.

Why? I plan on getting one and don’t care. I don’t have any fancy docks or anything, but they will be selling inexpensive adapters, so it’s not a big deal if you do.

The big issue is that there’s just so much infrastructure built around the old connector, making it obsolete means people have to replace a lot of other stuff. Also, on principle I hate proprietary connectors, and wish everybody would standardize around Micro-USB instead of the iPod connector, so there’s a little schadenfreude in there.

I find the discussions about the dock peculiar, sure all the people that have devices that connect to old dock will be upset but Apple is making docking useless. Airplay already does most of the stuff dock is used for and talks of an airplay improvement seem logical, so the connector will used only for charging and even that can be done wireless, do I doubt this phone will have it maybe the next one.

It’s Apple’s way of screwing third party accessory manufacturers. One of Apple’s modus operandi seems to be to prevent any third party profiting from Apple products to become entrenched and having leverage over the Apple ecosystem. Third parties exist on sufference at Apple’s whim.

Every stereo-iPhone combo, every customized battery pack and accessory, every cool third party gizmo that needs the old connector; obsolete. You might hang on to the old iPhone for a year or two longer, but you’re much likelier to set the gizmo aside and not buy it again when you upgrade your phone than keep the old phone because of the gizmo

I’m just hoping the connector works in either direction. I can’t tell you how many times I try putting in the Apple dock connector upside down.

12,521 people who will be upset about a new connector.

This. A thousand times this.