Apple slows down your phone

Then why isn’t it on the 8 and X?

The problem with this argument is that Apple would hurt their own name by degrading the battery after one year. How many people would move to Android because they felt the iPhone was unreliable so soon?

Also Apple usually bends over backwards to help you if you bring in a problem, it would cost them a lot of money if people were coming in for battery problems.

People who buy a new phone every year are doing so because they want a new phone every year. A crappy battery life after a year for most people is a sign of unreliability, not a reason to upgrade.

I am not saying people don’t see performance issues or battery issues after a new version of iOS hits, but that has a lot more to do with lack of testing and bugs of the new OS.

The way I understood it, which could be completely wrong, is that they add older versions each year. There is no reason to have the 8 and X yet, they all still have brand new batteries.

It’s not an argument, it’s a statement. My phone, including my battery, were both working fine. Literally until the new iPhone and iOS came out.

Then, the battery started magically having problems.

Exactly. Either there is a design fault in the last couple of models that Apple were trying to solve on the quiet, or they have moved to a general under-engineered/cost cutting philosophy that requires slowdown over time to keep devices operational, or this is a strategy of planned obselesence.

And mine showed no change weeks after the new phone/iOS came out. Curious, did you upgrade to iOS 11 immediately?

Hard to remember exactly when I did, but I typically upgrade as soon as I see it available.

Well iPhone X users are complaining about battery life with brand new batteries, so it might be an iOS 11 thing.

My X’s battery life has been great, I had one day where it drained really fast, but I checked the battery usage and it was a rogue app.

I don’t think it genuinely is a battery thing. That’s my point. I think it is a new iOS/iPhone thing. Now the new iOS may well have fucked up my battery, but again, that’s my point. It is all too convenient.

Which was my point, I don’t believe Apple is sabotaging phones so you will upgrade when you are more likely to switch.

There’s nothing magic at all if your phone starts having this problem with an iOS update.

The underlying problem is that as batteries degrade naturally, they can’t offer the same peak power output (as well as not holding a charge for as long, but that’s not what this issue is about).

If the CPU isn’t getting the power it needs, ka-put! Phone dies/crashes/whatever.

So whether it’s because the battery performance has eventually degraded to the point where it can no longer reliably supply the power the CPU needs on an otherwise unchanged phone, or a major iOS update is installed and suddenly older hardware is taxed and the CPU is asking for more power more often, you run into this problem which Apple has been managing by limiting the CPU as it detects worse battery performance. Better to run slowly than to crash entirely.

So of course a new iOS update can be the instigating factor in this issue. The root cause is something that would happen in any scenario eventually, whether batteries routinely maintained their original performance for six months or five years. Until battery technology changes, this is just how this is going to work.

And it’s no big conspiracy that Apple rolls out major iOS updates at the same time as their hardware updates, they go hand in hand as the software supports new technology and features.

Where you go from here is up to you. You could have a reasonable debate about what the performance lifetime targets are (should batteries be prioritized differently against cost and form factor?)—there’s not a “right” answer and you’re welcome to be unhappy with the way Apple has chosen to handle this so far.

But there’s nothing conspiratorial or “magical” going on.

Hmm. So as any enterprising tech guy done some testing on slowed IOS 11 phones and then showed what happens with a new battery installed?

Want moar data!

That’s how this whole thing started. One of the tech sites did just that and published their findings. New battery on old phone and performance skyrocketed.

Could be, but maybe IOS 11 demands more “peak” battery performance?

In any case, my random anecdote is that my wife complained about her recent battery performance and she pays no attention to tech news. In fact, she pays no attention to IOS updates although she notices “weird changes” to “how stuff looks” occasionally.

And going by the timing, she noticed this almost immediately after the IOS 11 upgrade.

I think I mentioned this upthread, but after every X.0 release of iOS I always do a “reset all settings.” This seems to clear up a lot of battery issues that come up after the big updates.

My two year old phone worked absolutely great before this. Now it doesn’t. That’s all I care about.

The battery did not magically degrade overnight, in a way that just happened to line up with the new iOS and iPhone. That has never happened before.

If the new iOS is doing it, what value am I getting out of that new iOS that made it worth crippling my existing phone? I see no change that has added any value whatsoever from it.

The main problem is that people are extremely unreliable sources of information. Usually when they complain something is wrong, they are mistaken about what it is and why.

Maybe try running a recommended battery info app to see if your battery is in a bad state. Run the geek bench benchmark app. Get some actual data.

Well shit dude, don’t uprade next time, or stop buying iPhones. I don’t care. You just keep phrasing this like you’re taking it all very personally.

I literally explained why this happened and you’re still acting like there’s something suspicious and mysterious about it.

Android may not slow their phones down intentionally but they also don’t update or patch though.

Hell, you could have an old app that doesn’t like iOS 11 or is just unstable. Have you tried any troubleshooting at all?

Shitty batteries are a huge roadblock affecting lots of emerging technologies. The Tesla Model S is over 50% batteries by weight.