Apple slows down your phone

It’s a trade off between energy density and safety. Solid electrolyte batteries like today’s Lithium ion cells are a lot more dangerous than similar liquid electrolyte cells. As energy density rises the cells become more like bombs.

Yes, I am switching to Android because of this. I’m not taking it very personally. I just think it’s anti-consumer bullshit.

People who keep repeating “it’s a battery issue” are missing the point. I did not have a battery issue until Apple fucked with their iOS/issued a new phone.

That’s like putting sugar in someone’s gas tank and going, “It’s an engine issue, what’s your problem?”

Yes, it’s an issue, because they did something that made it an issue. My phone worked fine before the update/new iPhone. Now it doesn’t.

If it’s a “battery issue,” why was I having no problem with the battery before? Why have a large number of consumers suddenly starting having “battery issues” where they had none before?

I mean, the explanation is completely illogical. We’ve had to throttle down because of battery issues. Only we didn’t have to do that before. With no explanation of what the new iOS is doing that really adds any value, to make it worth whatever it is doing to the battery.

The only real anticonsumer aspects to this are that they didn’t expose battery wear in the OS and they throttled without clearly disclosing their methodology. The fact that they throttled is not in of itself a problem assuming their explanation is true, but it is concerning that these batteries can degrade to a point where that’s necessary after only a single year.

I’m also curious how this throttling impacts real-world application usage. Is it really perceptible, or is it only a problem in benchmarks, where the SoC tries to run at its highest boost speeds for an extended time period?

There is one thing – and I’ll recommend a second – that I suggested you try to alleviate this. Doing a reset all settings 9/10 times fixes my battery issues after a major update. I don’t know why this works, but it generally resets some thing power related. It’s fairly-non destructive. You’ll have to re-enter your wifi passwords and reset some notification settings. I’ve also had to do this because I’ve ridden some beta trains that things just got weird on the main update.

The other suggestion is setting the phone up as a new phone. Depending on app data, this may not be a good recommendation, but I’ve seen it work. Make Hurley of Relay noticed on I think the iOS 10 update that some battery issues followed down to his new phone, and not doing a restore from backup cleared them up.

I will give that a try, it can’t hurt. Thanks!

No, the anti-consumer part is that there was no battery problem before the new iOS.

If there was a battery problem, why was my battery not draining rapidly prior to the iOS update?

Interesting you aren’t saying what the trouble actually is. Or if you have tried anything at all to fix it. You are so sure Apple picked your phone to screw up and left millions of other people’s phones working fine, I am starting to think you are just looking for excuses to complain.

And thirdly, the Facebook app is known to do shenanigans to keep connections alive. A while back they got busted for streaming a silent audio stream to keep a connection going. I don’t trust that app when it comes to power issues.

On my Android device I use Metal and Friendly for Facebook. The official Facebook app is a bloated mess.

That my battery is draining much faster after the new iPhone/iOS came out, and that the phone is also much more sluggish in performing?

I’ve been really clear. Your Apple fanboyism aside.

What’s hilarious about the Android “security” model is that apps can claim (in their app manifest) to only be compatible with the 5.x Android version, and immediately become immune to any of the modern Android security restrictions such as not riffling through your contact list at will and slurping up all the contact info.

Google has said they will fix this in 2018 and 2019 by disallowing apps from the App Store that only target ancient Android versions.

If you targeted APIs before Android 6.0 (e.g. you targeted API Level 21 - Lollipop), you didn’t have to ask users for permissions to access contacts, sms, SD card and other data. Which made all the new security improvements in Android rather moot - scummy apps (like Snapchat :P) just didn’t update their API levels, kept collecting personal data without asking for permission… AND didn’t implement improvements of new OSes because they wanted to keep collecting data without restriction.

(To add insult to injury, 64-bit is barely a blip on their ecosystem horizon, but already mandatory for the Apple store)

Draining how much faster? What have you done to fix it? Are there any apps showing that they are using more battery than usual? Have you tried switching back to iOS 10? Does that fix it? You’re complaining without actually doing anything, just screaming silly conspiracy theories.

Yes I am a fanboy. I know my Apple stuff, unlike you apparently.

No, because it is an Apple product, so valuable tools to easily measure such things are not readily available (as seen in the earlier discussion about how getting detailed battery information is apparently available to people who have Macs), nor is it easy to switch back to iOS 10, because again, it is an Apple product.Further, I have no idea what security patches and such I would be giving up by going back to 10.

You’re literally complaining about my not doing a bunch of things to solve an issue, and ignoring the point - why is this a freaking issue in the first place? Why should I have to solve anything? It’s not my fault this stupidity has happened.

I understand your love of a massive corporate entity has you disbelieving anything said against them, but I can assure you, I’m not making up the fact that before the update, my battery was fine and the UI was snappy and fast, and now the battery drains quickly, and screen changes, etc. often take five or more seconds to occur.

Yes Apple products can be a pain in the butt to troubleshoot, I don’t disagree, but it can be done. I apologize, I am used to the beta program where you can go back to the previous iOS versions. Evidently after September you can’t go back. I always do a back up right before a major upgrade, but not everyone knows to do that.

You can troubleshoot though. Again, do you have any apps that are showing to be a large drain? Also, anything using a lot of data? You can check both things in settings. Did the iOS upgrade change any settings that might cause battery drain? Background updating apps for instance? Occasionally I have had my phone drain quickly, it was a problem app. Close that app or stop using it. Have your tried a reboot (works every time when I have battery issues)?Have you tied the reset all as suggested? Restore from a backup? Full reset? (You know the exact same stuff you would with literally every other computer product.)

Why is it an issue? Because computers. Why did I have to spend an hour last week getting my Wemo to work? Or weeks trying to figure out why my Windows machaine was crashing? Not sure why you think Apple products are immune to technical problems,especially after major updates.

I am still curious how bad this problem is? Is your phone lasting for 30 minutes less than it used to, or is the battery draining in an hour?

This was typed on my 3 year old iPad, on iOS 11, which runs great on it. Not sure why Apple likes me but not you.

Did you actually read my reply earlier, or any intelligent article on this anywhere else?

Several things happen as a battery gets older. Charges don’t last as long, we all know that. But it also can’t maintain the same peak output. That can be slowly degrading without you noticing for a while behind the scenes if it’s still supplying enough power for the CPU, but it will manifest as a problem eventually when one of two things happens: it keeps degrading beyond what your CPU is currently requiring, or you increase your CPU load.

The latter is probably what happens for you and many others with an iOS update. iOS 11 demands more of your CPU than iOS 10, and so your battery that had quietly been degrading but was still managing iOS 10 is unable to keep up with the increased CPU needs of iOS 11.

Yes. Did you read mine? What value did I get out of the iOS update? What is it doing that is worth the increase to the CPU load that has caused this problem (if that is actually the issue)? I have seen absolutely nothing of value from it. I have seen it, or whatever else has occurred, mess up a phone that was working perfectly fine.

Dude, just get your android and be done with it. You can be one of those guys who runs around the Internet saying how Apple killed your dog but Android is awesome. Look forward to it.

I guess I’m honestly just lucky, because I’ve never had these types of issues with a computer since the mid-to-late 90s.

It has gone from a charge lasting mostly through two days of “ordinary use” to lasting around 5-6 hours.

I would immediately go to an Apple store with that big of a change. Something is wrong. It’s not the iOS, I have ran it on 2 “older” devices and have not seen anything like that.

Wow. I’m really sorry that’s happening to you. I know firsthand how badly it can suck to lose charge during the middle of the day.

That is definitely not normal. Something is wrong, and I concur that contacting Apple to see what can be done to help you is a good idea.