Apple WWDC 2017 - Leaks, Keynote and Other Info

It’s been bugging me that the topic from a year ago is getting new posts when Dub Dub ( yeah, I’m down with the jargon) starts today.

So, Siri Speaker? Improvements to Sirikit for audio services? Those are things I want. iPad features, which I expect, are more uninteresting to me.

How about you?

I don’t know why there’s so much speculation of iPhone 8 when Apple does not typically talk the iPhone hardware in WWDC. iOS yes, but not iPhone. So what makes this year any different?

Tons of leaks, basically.

Yeah, @stusser is right. Leaks, plus the excitement of a new form factor, following 3 years with the same design. You’re absolutely right in that there will be no mention of new iPhones during this keynote, because Apple has always done a major Fall event for that.

Hardware rumours are certainly more prevalent this year, though. Siri Speaker, upgraded processors in the MacBook Pro, possibly the arrival of the iMac Pro, and new iPads are definitely possibilities. I like to focus on software, though, at least for WWDC.

What I’d really love to see are some major improvements to tvOS, which has languished since launched with the Apple TV version 4. I mean, sure, they added Dark Mode and the single sign on that no one uses. And that TV app that I can’t get in Canada. So, yeah, real change would be nice. Specifically, I’d like to see tvOS get a Home app, and better support for HomeKit, allowing Siri on other devices to control the AppleTV. “Hey, Siri! Play the newest episode of House of Cards on the Basement Apple TV.” should turn wake the Apple TV, which in turn powers on my TV (thanks to working HDMI-CEC), and then automatically starts up Netflix and the right episode. Also, Apple TV events should be able to act as HomeKit automation triggers. If I press Play, it should allow me to trigger a scene that dims my lights.

Latest rumour: proper file management in iOS 11

Amazon app for Apple TV will finally arrive. That’s one of the stronger rumors.

This is like Christmas Day for us Apple nerds.

I have an ipad air 1. I would love a 10.5 inch ipad pro 2. I love the form factor (works when I’m commuting on the bus/subway even when it’s crowded), would love a better screen and some more CPU/ram. It seems like if I switch tabs at all on the ipad air 1 it’s “forgotten” where I was and has to reload/re-render stuff, which can be far slower than I’d like.

How usable have the more recent ipads been when in sunlight? My screen is practically unusable outside (the reflection is terrible.) I’m assuming the new screen will be far better.

All I know is that an out of warranty key repair for my MacBook 12 - one broken butterfly switch Shift key - quotes me at $600!. That’s more than half what I paid for it.

I used to make fun of Apple but at this point it seems pointless. They’re going to announce a new phone that looks like every phone they’ve made before but with fewer hardware options, probably kill off the iPod or Shuffle, get in on IoT speaker market yet have no real idea why because they don’t do new things anymore, announce an even more expensive iPad with no clear goal for the shrinking market, and still have more cash on hand than the entire US government.

Live streaming of the keynote from Apple’s site is here. The stream starts at 1:00PM Eastern, 10:00AM Pacific. I expect it to be a long one, there’s a lot for Apple to talk about.

Sadly what I really want is a new MacMini and there’s been no hints of it.

I won’t buy an Apple laptop without AppleCare for this reason. I have never needed it (knock on wood), but have seen enough stories to make me think it is worth it.

As far as today, I would love to be able to buy the Siri speaker today, but since there hasn’t been any leaks of the hardware, I doubt it has gone to manufacturing yet.

Would also like to see a bump in iMacs today (doubtful) and a new Cinema display.

Yeah, my Air2 has been a bit wonky. I think the battery is going. My wife already plans to get me the 10.5 for our anniversary if it is announced today.

OK, I’ll be semi “live foruming” the interesting stuff. Prime Video is coming, hooray! Only tvOS update for now. Boo.

Onto watchOS, they’re talking about an adaptive Siri watch face. Seems interesting. I’ll try it. I wonder if they’ll allow custom faces, but I’m doubting it since they’re talking about all their new curated faces. The Toy Story character watch faces seems cute.

Yeah but Prime in the TV app is super convenient. I don’t really have any other issues with tvOS.

Moving quickly. I’ve never seen Apple rushing like this. Now they’re talking about macOS.

Looks like this year’s macOS is called High Sierra, since it’s just a refinement of Sierra. And might be tied into California’s recreational marijuana laws.

Safari is looking great, but advertisers are going to hate it. Of course not many people use Safari…

I do! But yeah they are blowing through these announcements. Maybe saving a lot of time for the speaker thing.

Oh, hallelujah. The Photos face scanning is going to now sync between devices. That was ridiculous. So much wasted processing time on the same pics, on every device…