Apple WWDC 2021

Yeah they figure many consumers wandered off by now.

Overall, lots of good stuff in this keynote. Nothing mind-blowing other than maybe Facetime on the web, but some nice iterative improvements.

“You know what will shut up devs complaining about the App Store? Multiple product pages for their app!”

Have they finally gotten around to multiuser on iPad???

No, definitely not. That would be too useful.

Wow, my OG 12.9 still gets iOS 15.

I didn’t get to see the event, but the good people in the Macrumors forums were not impressed. I didn’t see any hardware updates, not buying another M1 just so that I can get a fan (my MBA runs hot every now and then), so it is a race to see if the Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 comes out before the next MBP 16 M whatever.

I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. They’d much rather you just buy another iPad, of course.

They added it to tvOS because forcing you to buy another TV for your living room doesn’t make sense.

When iPad Pro and their magic keyboards cost more than a Macbook, it’s time for some goddamn multiuser is what I say.

Spoiler: They are NEVER impressed.

I was pleased to see the always-on watch API mention. Seems like a precursor to stream Dexcom and Medtronic events straight to the watch in lieu of first-party monitoring.

I like it. Every step they take in that direction (like the other accessibility feature to use the phone as a mic for the AirPods) saves a bunch of people hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Some nice updates that frankly are overdue:

Tags in Notes
Offline Siri
Safari extensions on iPad/iPhone
More HomePod commands for Apple TV (I think right now all you can do is turn it off and on)

I didn’t catch the whole event but I hope the Home app will be given a makeover, and more conditional logic added to automations.

I like that Cloud+ won’t cost anything additional if you’re already on an iCloud plan. Private Relay sounds like a VPN service.

It really doesn’t. It sounds like a double web proxy, because it only works in Safari.

It only works in Safari? Huh, I missed that part. Bummer.

That’s what I remember hearing yeah.

FaceTime without iMessage doesn’t seem like a good strategy to take on Teams at least. We use it around 50/50 as a text messaging platform and video conferencing tool. You get to see the little replying dots across all platforms.

Not sure if people use Zoom this way.

We certainly don’t. We still use zoom only because it supports calling in via telephone.

I think its more for family things than a business zoom thing.

Absolutely. Apple isn’t interested in taking on corporate messaging. This is for personal use.

As a former Mac user, for a long time, but someone who has not really used Apple stuff for the past decade other than the odd out of date iPad laying around, I find this intriguing. Back in the day, when the original Mac released, the intent was definitely to take on IBM in the business space. The machines appealed to engineers and tech pros (all my engineer friends ran out and bought one), and the marketing was very careful to downplay the ability to play games or to use WYSIWYG type features and the GUI for anything “frivolous.”

Eventually Apple entrenched itself in the visual arts/design world rather thoroughly, but it was the amazing suitability of the platform for home use that IMO really made them successful (especially later on with the iPhone, which I think from the beginning eschewed a corporate market strategy pretty much).

Just think it’s interesting how these priorities/markets shift over time.

I am running iOS 15 on my iPad Pro. I do not like the new Safari at all. The URL entry field moves to the selected tab and it’s jarring to not have it front and center.