Apple's "Showtime" Event

Regardless of the method of transport, that’d still be almost my entire monthly bandwidth quota right there.

Plus, it kills impulse buys. Yeah, it’s great if you know weeks in advance what movies you want to buy, but if you’re looking for a movie for the weekend then you’re SOL.

How does it kill impulse buys? In most cases you’d have downloaded it before you got back from the store.

No idea on the re-downloading, but for music, I know they don’t “officially” have any record you bought something, so if your disk dies, or some such, you can’t re-download the tunes you bought before. That really stinks.

Man, I don’t know what kind of internet connection you have, but I can’t download 25 GB in the time it takes me to go to Best Buy and back.

I just bought two Apple iPod Video Black 30GB’s this month, can I exchange them for the 60GB? It’s the same goddamn price!

I just bought one, but yeah. Feeling slightly cheated right now. Though I’m mostly pissed about the movie battery life. I’d have waited a month for that.

My thoughts…

Upgrades to iPod line:
-new super tiny Shuffle is kinda nice
-new Nano…meh. It’s a new shell.
-improvements to 5G iPod - I’ll believe the battery life claims when I see it. Brighter screen is good. Price reductions are good.

iTunes updates:
WMP11 had done a better job of general music browsing and organization, so Apple needed to shore up those parts. They have, that’s good.

$13 for a somewhat sub-DVD quality movie? With the same DRM as TV shows? Pass.

TV shows at 640x480 is good. For the $&$# price of $2 a piece they should have been that way all along, at minimum. I think for $2 with the DRM restrictions you should get HD for shows available in HD. Bandwidth is cheap.

iTV (real name forthcoming) - well it’s a Media Center Extender, only for Front Row. Still no TV recording solution from Apple. :( That better be an Ethernet jack I see in the back, because at $299 there’s no way the “802.11” is draft N and it’s probably not A, and streaming video over G is dicey at best. And forget about B. I’m curious how well hi-def video would stream - the unit has HDMI and component, which is nice, but with a big lack of HD content (other than photos) it’s hard to care too much.

I’m not all that impressed, overall. Subscription service? Nope. (BOO!) WiFi iPods? Nope. The true “video iPod” everyone has been going on about? Nope. And the TV extender isn’t that big a deal (build in a DVD player!), nor an original idea at all.

Welcome to being an Apple customer! :)

Seriously, your complaint has happened to every long-term Apple customer at least once. Nobody in their retail or anywhere outside a small group at Apple knows when new products or price drops are coming.

Well, best buy for me is a long way away. But, sorry, I thought this was for the normal downloads.

I always visit sites like thinksecret.com and buyersguide.macrumors.com to help guide me in my next Apple purchase. Think Secret predicted the new iPods a week or so ago. It’s pretty tough with the Macbook, though. I want one so bad but I know updated Macbooks are just around the corner… or maybe not. grrr.

Shocked to see the same dinky screen on the big iPods. I can understand not doing the touchscreen (it sounds cool, but in practice, you’ll have wheel-shaped smudges on your screen), but they could have at least devoted 1/2 or 3/4 of the face to the screen.

Ah well, let’s see what Zune has to offer. I still use my iPod in the car as I mostly listen to podcasts there, but my Clix rules for the gym, etc. as “all you can eat PlaysForSure” beats the hell out of buying every album. Hopefully Zune will have a good video story too.

Seems like I had the wrong impression, there is no 60GB model anymore! So I opted to get a refund of the difference for both of my iPods, so $106 back in my pocket ($6 is from sales tax).

I say the Zune isn’t on shelves till next summer at the earliest.

I think Zune will be on shelves this holiday, but I don’t think you’re going to want it.

Like the first Xbox, I think it’ll be too big and a bit awkward, but superior in features to its competitor. Zune 2.0 is where it’s at.

I’d like the Shuffle more if it had a radio tuner built in. The only reason i like my Shuffle is that i use it when running and don’t care for - and in fact don’t want - a screen. I drop the thing all the time and it doesn’t care. The Shuffle had, according to CNet, sone of the best playback quality of the crop at the time, even better than the Nano oddly.

I just get so bored with my music over and over again though. I don’t have a large library. Even the cheapest SanDisk has a built in tuner.

Being even smaller is just silly though. While sort of cute, it reminds me of those kids toys in the 80s that used things like microcassettes to make totally useless but diminutive and kid sized electronics.

I’ve had songs re-sent to me several times. They just don’t advertise it, because it requires intervention, and they want people to take care of their collection themselves so Apple doesn’t have to.

If you bought it within the return period you can return it, take a restocking fee hit, and buy the new one. Sounds like you got a refund of the difference in price though, that’s awesome.

I thought Zune used proprietary DRM and did not fall under the Plays For Sure banner?

My thoughts:

The shuffle was the best ipod in the show. Just fantastic for the vast majority of what you need a music player to do: play music and stay out of the way. This will be my new gym player.

The return of aluminum is an event some people are under-appreciating. The already-super-thin nano got even thinner and returned to the mini-style metal body – this is a much more appealing package. Mini owners will appreciate this more than the uninitiated. It’s a very satisfying construction to hold and use day after day. Good capacities, but what if you want 8GB but don’t want black?

The true-video iPod is still a no-show, and rumors continue to hint of ongoing design or production difficulties (those of you commenting on the practical challenges of combining an interface with an on-the-go display are probably on the right track). So despite well-known patent applications, the implementation is apparently not ready yet. Larger screens are an obvious target for Apple, so I’d expect that if they can’t make the touch screen practical then they’ll eventually take a different approach. Meanwhile we’re still waiting…

iPod Video: 80GB is nice. Brighter screen is nice (hey they pulled a Nintendo!).

iTunes Movies: Movies done right. For a good example of movies done wrong, visit Amazon. I watched my first iTunes movie last night while it was downloading ($9.99), and the quality was very good on my widescreen LCD. A passable and inexpensive way to get your movie fix.

iTV: Should have launched now, but at least they showed it off. Apple is still taking baby steps here (no tuner anywhere in the Mac lineup) but the implementation looks like a winner. I can see this being a compelling way to enjoy an iTunes movie collection.