Apple's "Showtime" Event

The 8GB model is available in all colours, but the black is exclusive to the 8GB models.

Hmmm, from Apple’s store it appears the 2GB is white only, the 8GB is black only, and the 4 can be white, green, blue, or pink. So I think you’re wrong.

Whoops, my bad, I see the same thing now. I was going off the information in one of the live streams, which obviously turned out to be wrong.

You should know better to believe anything you hear over the internet!

They haven’t announced anything yet. I’d be shocked if Zune didn’t support PFS, though I have zero inside knowledge on this either way.

For the movie thing to really catch on, there needs to be a Netflix model.

Give me something with a PSP-size screen and the ability to check out three movies at at time for $15-20 a month and I’d be all over it for use at the gym. But $9-15 a movie to watch on a portable? Never.

Part of the value is that you’re able to watch it wherever you want: on your desktop, television, or portable player.

Except for on a non-Apple product. Heh.

Yeah, give me a rentla model and I’m all for it. I wouldn’t mind paying $5 for 5 days of rental.

Yeah, I should have said “iPod”. Given the market share, for the average customer it doesn’t matter. But you do still have to choose your camp (for the most part) and that choice will impose some limits.

Zune tomorrow.

What’s that now?

At the end of this article on Gizmodo there’s a mention of an official Zune-related announcement from MS tomorrow.

Zune ve vill zee what the big fuzz iz zallaboot.

Now, see, there’s my proof of no insider knowledge.

The Zune stuff announced today has done nothing to interest me in the Zune at all. The only thing I really like about the Zune is the nice, big screen. But that’s not enough, as my PSP proved. Some things I notice they didn’t talk about: screen brightness and battery life, areas that Apple is now concentrating on to make the “video” experience work better. The larger screen is only part of a portable multimedia device picture.

The WiFi sharing thing? Very “hip” and targetted at the MySpace crowd. But other than a few geeky teens who actually buy a Zune, who’s really going to use this? It’s a gimmick. It’ll be like my PSP, which means that no one’s going to have one except the hardcore, and without iPod-like penetration, the odds of you encountering someone to game with (or share tunes with, in this case) are slim. Now, if Apple, with its massive market share tried something like this, I’d be much more enthusiastic.

And the fact that there’s nothing going on in mono’s Zune thread in this forum, filled with the geekiest of the geeky, is a bit telling. I don’t have high hopes for Microsoft’s chance this time around. I know they don’t either, seing this as their 1.0 product, but the Zune doesn’t even look original Xbox good.

The fact that Zune and PlaysForSure live in two different universes makes me take off my glasses and rub my temples Adama-style.

Did they confirm that? I couldn’t find anyone talking about it today.

Watch J Allard weasel around those questions.

Man, that interview was nauseating.

And, yeah, he made it pretty darn clear that Zune isn’t Plays For Sure compatible without, you know, outright saying it.