~Are your birth parents still married to each other?

I have two birth parents, three living step-parents and one dead one. I didn’t want people to have to describe situations where they have a few step-parents, some of whom have re-married and some haven’t, and some are dead. I wanted a quick snapshot, not a genealogy lesson.

Still married after 39 years. Came fairly close to seperation though.

Mine are at 35 years. I’m not sure how happy they really are - they don’t seem to have much in common, they sleep in separate bedrooms, I haven’t seen them hug or kiss since I was little, and my mom constantly complains about my dad - but they’re conservative Christians who believe divorce is immoral, so I doubt they’d ever go that route.

That’s sad, Crispus. I think my mother, who is on her third marriage, would basically refuse to divorce at this point. I think she sees her other two marriages as failures and feels that a third divorce would be the ultimate failure. So she would just will her way through it until the end.

Stories like that make me wish marriage never existed, but I understand the whole parentage/legitimacy/inheritence angle.

My biological parents divorced before I was born, amusingly enough. Their first child died after a devastating illness, and it tore their marriage apart. Really pretty tragic when I think about it.

My mom married my stepfather when I was 2, and they’ve been together since.

So I’m technically in the “no, not married to each other” camp, although the only father I’ve ever known is still married to my mom.

My parents have been married for 56 years. I on the other hand have been divorced twice. I guess I didn’t get the message. Or something.

Still together for 27 years, came close to a separation once.

Divorce rates are tied to socio-economic factors. Many divorces occur because of layoffs, low wages, and poverty-related issues such as being in the military.

For the 5633249852th time it needs to be said: we do not live in a classless society, and what you see on an internet based technology forum is not necessarily representative of the entire country.

Mom’s divorced twice. I haven’t spoken to my birth father since they divorced when I was a kid. The second divorce came when I was around junior high. I don’t have high hopes for the institution of marriage in regard to myself. FWIW the second guy did not remarry.

My biological parents divorced when I was ten. Six months later, just before I turned eleven, my mother passed away in a car accident. About six months after that, my dad and step-mom were married, and have been for twelve years now.

I have been married, and divorced after 2 1/2 years. I still think that I’ll find the right guy, but I won’t rush into things like I did with my ex-husband.

Parents got divorced after 21 years of marriage, father’s remarried once and divorced against since then. I’m getting married in 13 months and plan to not follow any example he set.

My parents remained married for 38 years until my fathers death three years ago. My mother just recently started dating again.

Of the group of around 6 close friends I had in high school, 4 of us had parents that stayed together.

Heh. Same story with my parents. They’ve been married 27 years now. Mom still has raging self-esteem issues; Dad still won’t talk about his feelings. Even so, it’s always “you and me against the world, baby,” and the strength of that bond is remarkable.

I think divorce is something that inflicts younger generations. My parents are at 36 years.

My parents are still married after ~45 years. My uncle, on the other hand, is now on his fifth wife. After his third divorce we started referring to the women he’d date as his future ex-wives.

They’re still going strong after 35 years. They lived literally across the street from one another when they were just little kids in public school. Years passed, and once my mom got pregnant at 25, marriage quickly ensued. There was only one real rough time in their marriage that I can recall, but they got over it quickly enough, and ever since then they’ve been more into each other than I can remember.

Well, the game playing stressed my mom out a lot, since I did that instead of doing chores/homework.

Not that I did bad in school.

Also: Don’t know my father. Walked out on my mom when I was born.

Good riddance, is all she tells me.

My parents are still married, it’s been over 40 years now. I never met my birth parents and their marital status is irrelevant to me (though a copy of their medical records would be nice).

I disagree with your disagreeing. I don’t know anyone who got married and subsequently divorced who should’ve stayed together, but I know a handful of married couples who should’ve gotten divorced years ago (or never married in the first place).

And I will agree with that.

My parents got divorced after 5 years of marriage. They tried to work it out, but my mom made repeated attempts on my dad’s life using such items and pistols and vehicles, so it’s best for everyone’s well being that they stay apart. To this day, I still can’t get them in the same room even though they have both grown up and mellowed out. Each year we have to have two birthday parties for my son (their only grandchild); the big one with all the kids and hoopla that includes one parent, and another smaller one for the other parent.

Both parents have remarried other people atleast once, and they are both single again. After the last divorce my dad had about 10 years ago, he quoted me some old comedian that said “I am never getting married again. I’ll just go out and find a woman I hate every 3 or 4 years and buy her a house. It’s cheaper.”