Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

I’d like to harbor some hope that this upcoming engine upgrade will finally get the VR working, but I’m sure they’ll just ditch it entirely instead.

Even after 7+ years, people can still do things in Ark that impress me.

For reference, he is traveling from the blue obelisk to south of the red obelisk on the Island.

Ok that was fantastic

Over 100K metal!!! Holy smokes!

At first I was like, why??? Then I noticed they also appear to NOT have Structures Plus, making it even harder to build that. That was impressive as hell.

Gentlemen,
It has been my pleasure to have gotten hosting for the Quarter To Three ARK servers, and eventually the ARK cluster which finalized at 11 different ARK instances today, with a few name changes along the way. We were only short having The Center re-added to the cluster but felt at the time it had run its course for those playing then.

As of today, all servers were backed up and I have the files available to those who need access to them at any time. I’ll have to provide that access only if requested with your email, as it means I have to allow access to you based on your email address, if wanted. PM me which maps you’d like to have access to and I’ll provide links based on your email as access (via Dropbox.)

I don’t know where the future of ARK lies but it’s be a blast playing and having fun with the lot of you over the last several years. The cluster had a good run, lots of deaths (skewed toward @Grembel I’m sure,) lots of bases and shacks built, lots of dino tames and dino babies along the way, and plenty of boss fights. It also had the Lone Ranger, aka @Ragan who essentially took the entire game and made it his bitch in just about every way.

Ragan, thank you for all of the help on the cluster over quite a bit of time. It was very much appreciated. And to everyone else, I had some great times and hope we can land in another game together soon.

Thanks again for all your time and effort. It’s greatly appreciated.

@skipper I have no idea what you are talking about. I always chose the safe approach…

Thanks again for the cluster! It was indeed a blast to spend countless hours with all.

The game player trailer for Ark Survival Ascended has been released.

I didn’t see a lot of “new” things in the trailer, but it did look pretty. I think I’ll have to upgrade my video card so I can play it above potato quality.

It does look a lot prettier, lighting, shadows and detail were all very nice. Water looked good as well. I also noticed build models looked very nice, less … lego-y?

I’m wondering what gameplay they add or change though because otherwise they could have just called this a graphics only redo? For the love of god I really hope they address whatever the issue was that caused all the under-mesh hacks and ruined PvP servers due to that.

Depending on when this is actually released I guess we’ll see how everyone’s graphics cards hold up.

That was another thing I noticed. The character movement animations looked a lot smoother as well.

I’m wondering what gameplay they add or change though because otherwise they could have just called this a graphics only redo?

There are several new dinos that will be added, plus new dinos on each map as they release them.

For the love of god I really hope they address whatever the issue was that caused all the under-mesh hacks and ruined PvP servers due to that.

They have mentioned this, but not given many details because why make it easier for the cheaters.

Feels to me like the nicer graphics get undermined by the models and animations still looking ASE level. The clip of the Basilo jumping out of the water looked bad.

There’s some german gameplay clips floating around that are less flattering. Saw an anky get stuck against a tree, so that tells me nothing’s been done with the AI. I suppose that could’ve been from a development build, but WC’s track record tells me that’s what the final product will be like as well.

DLC maps will get slowly trickled out over two years, mods are exclusive to Overwolf, and no cryos. Oh, and it’s Early Access, lol. All that for $45. Think I’ll pass. At least until Epic doles it out as their weekly freebie.

Have to agree 100% this is a hard pass for me in its current state and price range.

I bought it but I could only get 2fps on the lowest video settings. This was in single player. I know my system is several years old, but I can still get 25 to 30fps in ASE with a mix of medium/high settings. They really raised the bar on the system specs for ASA.

To make single player work, I had to add the “-dx11” to my launch options. Otherwise it would lock up every time I went to the character creation screen.

Also, I’ve read that Wildcard gave exclusive rights to rent unofficial ASA servers to Nitrado for seven years. You can create your own private server, but it can’t be a cluster (meaning you can only have one map on your private dedicated server) and it has to be done under a steam account. In ASE, you could download and run multiple Ark instances without a steam account.

All those things together was to much for me so I return the game.

Maybe in 6 months they will get some things optimized and make the game itself more stable. Of the 16 minutes play time I have for ASA, 15 minutes of that was trying to get into the game.

That’s just really bad as a slap in the face for all the game hosting companies. Way to kill your market.

Can the game at least be launched singleplayer anymore?

I was reading a post from another hosting company that was saying the same thing. It also means that there is much less incentive for Nitrado to improve since no one else can (legally) offer a private cluster.

I imagine there will be some clever people that will figure a work-around and then WC/Nitrado will do the lawyer whack-a-mole game with C&D and DMCA threats.

Yes, single player and non-dedicated hosting (running the server from your local PC) is still works.

That’s good to know. I agree, someone will figure out a way around Nitrado. I mean, as long as it isn’t publicly advertised, how would they know? I’m sure someone will figure it out. They can’t have changed the network code that much.

v25.18
Steam DRM has been disabled for the ARK: Survival Ascended Dedicated Server & Anonymous Depot has been made available

Private servers/clusters are an option again. Enough people protested so Wildcard made a change. That is good to see at least.

I was interested in this when I saw it pop up, but memories of 3 fps when ARK first came out will keep me away. Even though my computer is a $2,000 or so two year old machine, I have little faith it could run this well at all.

I just want to collect pokem- I mean dinos, and build things. I haven’t heard anything about V2 that makes me want to switch. Besides moar graphics, what does it bring that S+ doesn’t?

Actually that’s a good question, Ragan are all mods off the table again?