Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

Automatic gates respond to players only, not dinos (unless you’re riding the dino). They can be set to auto-open/close, or just auto-close, and you can set the close delay on them. So you might set a 10-second close delay on the first gate to allow the dino time to follow you in, and set the second gate to close immediately. Or just leave the second gate closed and have an open doorway there that you can run through (dinos can’t go through doorways but can attack through them).

Why didn’t I think of a doorway. Perfect explanation, Bars, thank you. Btw, my friend is in the tribe now as well. He’s loving the Aberration changes.

I got a message on mods out of date when loggin in to Ab server. I’ve seen you guys mention that before. Why on earth would the server block logins if it’s mods are out of date? That seems like a bad way to force mod updating.

In this case, the mod that is out of date is S+ (it’s updated now, server is coming up). There are some mods that may let you play when there is a version mismatch because they are not that critical. But S+ is pretty big and involved and would cause major issues if people were not running the same version as the server.

That being said, it would be nice if the host had some mechanism for updating mods automatically when no one was online, or broadcast an in game message saying the server is going down in 15 minutes for a mod update, then do the update.

Ok after ragan and I made the trip to the drake trench and found no eggs. I went in this morning for the same result. Did some research seems like there can be collision issues where the drake eggs fall under the nests or the nests do not despawn correctly. We may have to try a dino wipe to see if this clears the issue. I also found out there’s an issue when a server restarts you can fall through the floor. This is explains why i sometimes log back in on the beach :P To combat this i am now logging off in my hatchery. Since it is on solid ground.

So ragan ghosted down and took out the egg that had fallen under the world. This seemed to reset spawn timers and all the other nests started producing again!

In other news we may or may not of tamed a couple Basilisk. (pics soonish)

Glad you guys got the Drake eggs going. What’s the taming entail? Steal egg, put into hatchery, tame upon hatching?

I ran in to a strange issue in the Lake zone at Kono/Berz’s old outpost. I’m expanding along the lip of the lake by building a huge stone walled enclosure. So, twice, I ran S+ fence supports along the water’s edge, went off to get more materials and came back to a huge amount just … missing. They placed just fine, but upon leaving render distance and coming back, the ones along most of the water were just gone. I’m not sure it if was due to no walls on them yet or what. No dino’s nearby either.

To at least get something there, I pulled back from the lip of the lake about 20 feet or so and now they appear to be staying after I place them. I don’t know if that is an Aberration map bug or a structures plus bug, but since everything else works, who knows.

Also one additional question, what is the best clothing for the tropical like zone down at the lake? Everything is too hot beyond the basic stuff.

Kono suggested wearing three pieces of flak and two pieces of cloth this seemed to negate the climate issues for me. Haz suit when you can.

Noted, sounds easy enough. Thanks, Grembel.

Updates. I finally got the outside wall done, though not right at the beach, since I’m still afraid any construction there will disappear. I’ll try again later, but for now I have more room for dinos, and a safety perimeter around the outpost.

First up, I’m up to 4 raptors now (counting one Kono left at the outpost), including one I just hatched, which was my first dino egg hatching. I refer to these guys as the Rap Pack, they mow through whatever dinos I need out of the way.

And while hatching that little guy, I trained three ravagers to the base, including one alpha. This gave me the opportunity to get some height and bola, shoot the crap out of them. So after MANY tranq bolts and one crossbow repair during battle, I was finally able to down two out of the three, but the alpha got away since I had run out of bolas. Oh well. At least I have a mating pair now!

Having fun with this game but I’m still a newb and have no idea what I’m doing.

Nice work. Ravagers are a great early to mid game dino to have.

Well done, Skipper! My first server I ever ran for ARK I had a raptor pack and loved them! I have some ravagers now and I agree that they are wicked, and tear through stuff faster than I imagined.

I have never really done much with mating before. I should probably try that sometime.

Well for what it’s worth, the raptors were easy, mostly due to raptor eggs being okay in that temperate climate of the Lake zone. Most of the videos seem to have temperature regulation setups for serious egg hatching (6+ air conditioners and power.) That’s way beyond my tech level.

Also, here’s Rag’s Awesome basilisk:

The drake he has was way more colorful but I neglected to get a screenshot.

So. Many. Creatures.

If you do go for AC units, I recommend using the S+ version. They are much more effective and it’s S+!

And nearly all the materials you need for a generator & AC are right outside your wall. There are a number of pearls in the lake for making electronics and the crabs drop organic polymer. There is a couple metal nodes that are relatively close.

If you are going crab hunting though, I recommend taming one of the spinos in the lake first. They are excellent crab killers. They don’t get to high, but you should be able to find a 70+ one there. Unless you want to tame a crab (which are totally worth it), but that involves dino gateways, catapults, boulders, and lot’s of blunt force trauma.

There are always 1-2 crabs right outside the gates there. Being curious I looked up some tips on them, but it is indeed a lot of work. However, in the back of the lake there is a spino that spawns fairly frequently. That’s a good tip, I’ll try to rein him in.

I picked up a Carno a bit ago. Does aberration have any T-Rex?

Thanks for the tips on the pearls and polymer.

No, but there is the megalosaurus (the dino that sleeps during the day). But mega’s on Aberration do not sleep, so they are much better than rexes. Some of my breed/mated boosted/fully imprinted mega’s are doing in excess of 800 damage a bite and they are not fully leveled yet.

Jesus … that’s some damage. I have a tamed ravager at about 90 I think, which I considered nice damage. 800 is insane.

I went on a walkabout around the lake and found @Grembel 's place. Nice little cliff like overlook!

I think my next foray will be in the lake.

Lakes not to bad. There are a few not so nice things in there though.

Ark needs updated if anyone’s able to update for us! Thanks!

What needs to be done to update? I’m assuming just a Steam update on the server, since that updates server game files. I’ve not managed ARK before though so just making sure what the process is.