Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

I like how it went from a male Native American protagonist to a Chinese-German protagonist (you choose male or female) for the new one.

I’d still love for Techland to make something in the spirit of the Prey we never got if it were possible. I think their engine could handle it and they are damn good at first person action and movement. I figure they could nail it.

More Roleplaying mechanics (System shock 2 had plenty) and less action. We need VATS for these action games.

Recycle all the things!

The game does look great, and I’ll be picking it up.

I’m just a little annoyed that by using this name, it will further doom the original game into even deeper obscurity. Which is a shame, because it was a perfectly good game, and quite enjoyable.

Also, it furthers the trend of having to refer to certain games by their release dates -i.e. Prey (2006) and Prey (2017)- rather than by their titles alone. Which in the scheme of things is no big deal, and I guess it’s been accepted, but I’d rather if we just had titles.

Agree very much with everything you said there Giles.

My early impressions of the first hour demo are not good. Sluggish controls and bugs with things like animation/audio sync breaking. On a PS4.

Yeah, the demo feels absolutely awful to play on PS4. The input lag is insane, which makes fighting the small and fast mimics feel incredibly unsatisfying, especially with a stamina system. The sound mixing is busted, with the game playing some super obnoxious techno music cue whenever combat starts that drowns out all the ambient atmosphere. I’ve have encountered two hard lock-ups. Overall, it feels like a massive downgrade from the Dishonored games.

Sounds like System Shock 2 (only Eric Brosius’ techno was awesome)!

The Xbone version was fine, albeit the initial load time was around 2 minutes, which is crazy. But seeing as how this is the first game (or demo) I’ve played on my Xbone, maybe that’s normal, I don’t know.

The combat music was annoying and over the top, but seemed like it was working correctly.

No PC demo, eh? Makes me go hmmmmmm…

Yeah, it’s not a good look. Bethesda PR got in touch with Forbes to address why there isn’t a PC demo.

While the creative director, Raf Colantonio, has assured everyone that the pc version will be “flawless at launch,” people who went hands-on at recent events mentioned that the PC version is in rough shape.

https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/65baei/i_played_prey_on_pc_here_are_my_thoughts/

The biggest takeaway for me is that Bethesda have managed to make people indifferent to a Shock reboot made by Arkane with writing by Chris Avellone and music by Mick Gordon. Arthur Gies on Prey’s lackluster interest levels.

Yeah, Bethesda is fucking up everything related to Prey. First they fuck over Human Head with Prey 2, and now even their own Prey by Arkane is apparently being sent out to die.

This is not the way to get me more immersive sims, dammit.

Translation: The PC demo was in even worse shape than the PS4 demo.

According to Digital Foundry the game seems to be fine on both consoles with the exception of input lag on PS4 that should be fixed up for release version.

Music should be getting fixed too:

Another issue that deserves a mention centres on the audio mix. The music here is excellent but its usage is often grating with a loud battle tune kicking in whenever an enemy shows up. Even if it’s just a single mimic that you can kill in seconds, the booming music continues for a while - an overblown dramatic effect for what is effectively a routine in-game skirmish. It spoils the mood somewhat and becomes annoying after a while. Thankfully, as with the control issue, the team has heard the feedback and is looking at addressing this design quirk.

Apparently this demo is basically a beta :p

Fine is subjective

Played the demo for a few hours - LOVED IT! Its basically System Shock 2 as far as I can tell, and if its between 20-40 hours of that - its perfect! Im definitely in day one on the PS4.

Their anti consumer practices have been a sad reality for a while though. Things were fine with Doom, but not so with Dishonored 2. As a PC gamer i have to fear which one Prey will be.

I must admit that i’m part of the problem as someone who pre-ordered it on the PC.

I actually preordered it too. Just love this genre, Arkane’s games and I trust Harvey Smith when he said this is one of the best games he played. I do expect it to be fantastic despite some superficial technical issues present in the demo, hopefully those will be fixed in full version or soon after it comes out.

I mean he works at Arkane, what would you expect him to say?