Ashes of the Singularity: New RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

I found the game much too challenging unfortunately. I can’t keep up.

Yeah, I thought Sins was owned by Ironclad, but I admit I never really dug into their agreement with Stardock. Ironclad did Sins of a Dark Age without Stardock’s involvement.

My problem is that the units look to generic or something and I can’t just look at them and know what they do. Probably one reason I prefer games like Age of Empires.

I still don’t completely grok armies. If I have a couple of armies out, being reinforced from factories, but I want a couple of units to go and retake some capture point… I can never see how to get hold of them.

Yes that was definitely a problem in the game.

Problem is that it feels like a Supreme Commander light, its got the same look, but not the taste.
Also, its got no clothes on.

Come on Stardock, THINK BIG.

I liked the army concept, but thought it was poorly implemented simply because you can decide to reinforce an army and guess what, all your units get slaughtered piecemeal going through enemy terrain.

An ‘only travel through your own territory’ rule for reinforcements might be nice. Would also give another meaning to territory control.

Stardock did a lot of cool things with this game, just wish it had gelled a little better.

I actually started playing this last week. Fair way into the campaigns. I enjoy it, but it’s got issues.

All the planets look the same. Each of them is as a barren as the moon. And none of them feels like a real world with real terrain. They all look like mazes built for a game.

The units are, as Janster says, not memorable.

Air is treated as an afterthought. You can’t manage air units like you can armies.

No naval whatsoever.

The maps don’t feel huge. I want those massive SupCom levels where you’re watching artillery shells take forever just to travel across the map.

Speaking of which, I miss artillerying the enemy to death.

Elevation is really annoying. Seriously? My units can’t detect and shoot at the enemy defensive structures that are right next to them because of a tiny little ridge?

I feel like most of my losses are due to armies getting stuck in chokepoints and being unable to maneuver cleanly. This game is nothing but chokepoints.

Give me an auto-reinforce button so I can instantly replace my army’s losses with a single click.

You pretty much can reinforce your armies like that. It’s one click per thing you want built, but you can have them teleported from the factory to your army.

I’m talking more of setting an army composition, and then you click one button and it automatically queues up whatever needs replacing.

Sort of something like the Stellaris fleet management, if you’re familiar with that? You can set that a fleet is comprised of 2 of these battleships, 1 of another type of battleship, 6 cruisers, 12 corvettes, etc. Then when you take losses, you just click a Reinforce button and the nearest shipyard will build the missing ships and they will fly off and join the fleet.

There is a teleport unit that they can come through now.

I love that unit.

I try to have multiple with each army.

How do folks tend to handle their production? I’ll have a set of buildings that are producing on repeat and rallying to a point, and then at some point I’ll form a new army, and then I have other buildings that aren’t in that group that can build for the armies that are requesting reinforcements. Probably not optimal at all. When I play, it is usually a team skirmish with the other players being ai.

So a factory needs to be producing to avoid being used for reinforcements? Does that work if it’s paused?

I’m not sure armies are a net benefit to this game. If their behaviour were added to control groups, wouldn’t that maybe do as well/better :/

The post-human faction has it, but not the Substrate.

Well, who would play those evil bastards??

I’m not sure how reinforcement production works with buildings that are already producing a repeating queue. I guess I will need to fire it up and play around.