Assassin's Creed 3

Or maybe the unarmed ‘assasination’? Sleep darts?

Oh hey, sometimes I do notice a “Whistle” option on the controls. I wondered what that was. I figured the game would have a tutorial before I had to use that, but I guess maybe not.

Yay.

AC3 is probably the one I enjoyed the most, recently. As a non American I really don’t know about the nooks and crannies of American War of Independence. That bit of historical fiction lead me to read lots of journal entries and search the internet to find out which is fact and which is fiction. And the anti-colonialism message (i.e. the natives got oppressed by the supposedly anti oppressors) is very refreshing. It has to be the French sensibility needling the Americans!

The cities are bland and boring compared with Italy or Istanbul though.

Next I’ll have to play Unity to see the French take on their own revolution. Something tells me it will be a lot more flattering than what the Brits thought of it at the time.

Holy shit, the game not only has Boston, it has New York too?

That’s kind of exciting. Though I have no idea what New York in 1754 would look like. I guess I’ll find out.

Oh whoops, spoilers. :)

Somebody mentioned wanting a current-gen re-release of AC3, and I don’t think I agree. Not exactly.

I agree with you Soma, that the cities of AC3 aren’t the most exciting in the series, but I liked the frontier, and the bits of wider open fields and spaces around the edges of the cities.

So I don’t think the results of a current-gen remaster would be worth the effort, but I really hope a new AC game takes us back to the forests and wilderness soon. I would love to play through that type of area with fancy modern effects, lusher, denser plant life, more trees, more animals, etc. I hope they can revisit that type of setting soon.

That would be Wildlands then :)

Oh oh oh I know that answer! You should play Black Flag. There are lots of forest and jungle, sometimes even with animals. IF you can tolerate pirates.

I moved directly on to that this evening after completing AC3. But I’ve also already seen my roommate play Unity recently, and that game is really amazing looking. The jump from AC3 (Xbox 360 version) to Black Flag (PS4) is already wonderful, but just imagine how much better a new AC with jungles and forests could look!

Aha. Figured it out. The hint was in the bonus objective. The bonus objective said to kill three soldiers using corner kills. I had no idea what that meant, something about killing soldiers near the corners of the map or something.

But anyway, no, that’s not what it meant. Apparently, if you line up Haytham on a corner, he is considered hidden, and when you assassinate someone coming to that corner, that’s considered a stealth kill, even if it’s within earshot of all the other soldiers around you.

So it really was trying to teach me a new mechanic, and I wasn’t able to finish the mission until I learned the new mechanic, so mission accomplished.

Now I’m stuck in the next mission where I’m fighting seeming infinite number of soldiers. I’m sure I just have to trigger some kind of mission parameters that I haven’t discovered yet. But I gotta say, I’m not impressed with all these game mechanics so far. The corner stealth kill looks really cheesy, and the combat against infinite soldiers is really janky looking, the way the soldiers are trying to fight my allies, and sometimes me, and the way the swings of the sword sometimes hit them, but the soldiers kind of jump around instead of smoothly transitioning from one animation to the next. This seems a lot jankier than previous AC games.

Create a path to force more of the Homestead side missions earlier: They feature the charming, fun and more human version of version of Connor that is not as obvious if you only play the main missions and ignore the side content.

He’s on point here. The Homestead stuff is terrific, and bypassing it makes Conner seem way more dull.

Really loved playing Assassins Creed 3 now can’t wait to play the Remastered version. But there is one thing i have to ask, if we already have Assassins Creed 3 on PC will we get the remastered version free?

I had gotten through quite a few of the tutorial missions in Boston as Haytham in AC3, but since I’ve bought Odyssey Gold just for the AC3 remaster, I gave it a spin last night on the Series X.

I have to say I’m not a fan of their changes. I just did the opening scene at the Opera, and it definitely looks better in some ways, but something about the character faces and such look worse to me now. I wish I didn’t have to say that about a remaster. It should be “wow, this is better in every way to the original”.