Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

Actually i’m not sure on that one, but it seems unlikely given that you’re expected to come back and claim your reward.

Speaking of the diving bell…I was looking so forward to that. Until I unlocked it. Those missions suck. Its underwater frogger in 3d.

The sharks really do make those missions suck, because you have no weapons or other countermeasures. They might have been trying to make the DB missions more exciting that way, but they’re just tedious instead. Also, the DB missions where you infiltrate an enemy base from underwater could have been cool, but you do them unarmed, which is another example of landing on the wrong side of the line between challenging and tedious.

So, should I wait until I get a next gen console to play this one or go ahead and play it on my PS3?

He didn’t mention a PC.

there is a dirty console peasant in the picture too ;-)

Wait until you have a PS4 because AC4 is amazing and awesome and glorious on the PS4. That’s the only one I’ve played but here’s the Digital Foundry comparison:

However, while AC4 is indeed feature-complete on PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, the highly variable frame-rates genuinely impact gameplay. While the Assassin’s Creed series has never really required a crisp controller response, the heavy drops in fluidity simply make it harder to quickly traverse the environment, particularly when chasing down targets. With performance so far behind every other version of the game, it’s hard to recommend the Wii U game at all, despite its image quality matching PS3 and Xbox 360.

With the next generation consoles we have the level of stability required to let the gameplay breathe without hardware limitations getting in the way. This is perfectly demonstrated on the PS4 after the release day patch has been installed: 1080p visuals allow the intricate artwork to shine, while the rock solid 30fps update means that control is never disrupted outside of the game’s somewhat erratic animation blending system and automated climbing mechanics. The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look. The appearance of frame-rate drops in some scenes is also disappointing, considering the 30fps target and sub-native visuals, but on the plus side these issues were a fairly rare occurrence during our capture session, outside of isolated experiences.

I finished AC4 over the weekend. It was a great experience, but for some reason I sat through the 20-minute ending credit sequence. What a mess- typos, horrible lack of organization, and repetitive titling. I’m guessing everyone was so burned out by making the game that nobody really thought the credits through?

The thing that I hate the most about every AC game is the almost infinite credit sequence. Did they at least make it skippable for this one?

Did anyone play the Freedom Cry DLC? Yay? Nay?

yay: more sailing and with a caribean-voiced captain who’s freeing his people from the bondage of slavery, what else do you want?!

It is skippable, yes.

I’m thinking of picking this up on Steam… is it worth the extra $20 for the season pass / gold edition?

No, i don’t think so.

You get a bunch of extra weapons and crap, but i never ended up using the weapons or the costumes. Other options were always better.

Awesome. Thanks!

So I just got this last night and so far it’s pretty fun. Piloting ships, running around Havana.

But stop me if you’ve heard this one … why the hell does Ubisoft continue to insert these boring ass “modern world” gameplay pieces into their historial games? The game was just starting to immerse me as I left the starting island and then it shifts to this “welcome to your cubicle” gameplay. Are you kidding me? Why does Ubisoft think this drives the narrative? It’s jarring, unnessecary, and boring. I got to follow my shift supervisor to my cubicle when I could have been gutting Spanish guards and sailing ships. WTF Ubi?

I’d say they will hopefully drop this idiotic plot device, but they seem to be all in at this point. Every single one of these AC game has been spoiled by this stuff. Certainly they can think of a better way to tie the generations together, like flash forwards and backwards cut scenes. Is there a lot of this in the game? Because if so I may save myself the trouble of playing.

I grabbed it for $20 in the Steam sale. Looking forward to getting started. :)

Nah, the modern day stuff is very rate, 3 or 4 required in the whole game.

Very glad to hear. Yay!

Haven’t played an AC since Brotherhood. Is it just my imagination or did the combat change? I remember there being a “hold to parry everything” button (X on the 360) but you had to time your attacks correctly. They seemed to move to a Batman: Arkham model where you actively have to time the block/counter button now (B on 360).