Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

What is Ravens Cry? New DLC or?

Completely different game. I just thought the pirate fans might be in this thread :)

Oh - sorry - I could have clinked the link of course. I just never heard about it so… Thanks! :-)

So that one looks kinda like GTA-Pirates in the town mode? I haven’t yet played AC-Pirates, though I plan to (just playing my first couple of games on the PS4 I got over the holidays) - but you can never have too many pirates games. ;)

It had various development issues before being finished off by the Two Worlds II people. I expect it to have character and clunk in about equal measure :) Perhaps not a day one buy.

Man, animation really matters.

This is on sale this weekend on Steam, including the DLC Freedom Cry. It’s $4.99 as AC4 DLC, but the stand-alone version is $3.74. You play Adewale, Kenway’s former first mate, as you go about a bite-size area of the Caribbean and kill slavers. It’s at least as enjoyable as killing Nazis and Drow.

Recommended if you liked AC4.

Interesting. I have the UPlay version of AC4, so I guess I should get the stand - alone version.

Been playing Black Flag since December and finally powered through all the godawful Assassin’s Creed-y missions to finish the game. Doesn’t seem to be any reason to play it once you’ve taken all the strongholds and built up your fleet.

Unless you like watching Wrong-Way Kenway jumping off in random directions to hang out on top of random barrels and lamp posts like a moron. I haven’t played this franchise since #2, and I had no idea how terrible the parkour gameplay had gotten. And as fun as the ship stuff is, I’m going to steer clear of AC: Rogue like Kenway from a clear path forward.

OK. Game 7 on my 10-game marathon is done.

There’s not a whole lot I can probably add about the base game. The pirate-y stuff was great, the AC missions, not as much, ranging from ‘not bad’ to ‘craptacular’ (Siege of Charlestowne). There are still some things that are annoying in the base game, but those have been covered before in this dormant thread. It’s too bad they didn’t turn this into it’s own property apart from AC, although we did get Rogue out of it as well. The one thing I did want to add about the base game is something that is probably the best addition to the series in its history - and that’s being able to rate the missions. Assuming Ubi uses the compiled ratings, this could be a really great thing - and given that I don’t remember as many stupidly frustrating missions from the 3 games left (although I’ve only played Unity and Syndicate once each), it seems like they did. Here’s hoping everyone keeps using those rating systems - even on replays.

As for the DLC, it was a mixed bag. The stand-alone 3-pack of Avalene missions were pretty fun (although the final boss was stupidly easy). There didn’t seem to be any insta-fails in there, and it was some good Stabby McStabbyface action. The only thing ‘bad’ about it is - how in the world does this fit in with Black Flag? It seems like they wanted to just introduce people to Avalene since not everyone played Liberation. But I don’t understand why. They didn’t (or at least haven’t) used her again, and it’s not like the person she rescued figures in to the lore in any way. Just not sure why it was there - but it was a good 60 minutes of fun.

As for “Freedom Cry”, it seems like it would be better than it was. I thought the plantation missions were fun (even if I never played a nighttime version), and even the other ways to liberate slaves - from the auctions to the slave ships - were fun as well. But there were a few missteps with it. First, the Blunderbuss. Yes, it’s great for short-range crowd control. But there are times when you need longer range, and the Blunderbuss replaced the pistol. For example, when you liberate a slave ship, you always have to take out the two scouts on the masts. Now the first one isn’t an issue. But there’s no easy way to get to the second one. In ‘Black Flag’ - that’s what the pistol was for. But here - the Blunderbuss seems to work only 50% of the time at best, so you waste a lot of time (due to reloading) and ammo. Just give me a pistol. Also, way WAY too many eavesdropping or tailing missions, which are the WORST. And on top of that, the ‘deflect’ button didn’t seem to work as well in the DLC as it did in the base game. Not sure why. Finally, they dumped all the shanties. I missed those. Finally, why does Adewale have Eagle Vision? He doesn’t seem to have it in Black Flag, and I don’t think it’s something that can be ‘taught’. That just didn’t make a lot of sense. Still a decent few hours, but it could have been a lot better.

Anyway, on to Rogue. I think on replays, Rogue should proceed Unity, even if the latter was released first (albeit not by much). I’ll go more into that when I finish Rogue. The trip down memory lane continues…

I have never played an Assassin’s Creed game before, but I got a free copy of this a while ago and had a hankering for an action game, so I fired it up.

I am very confused about what is a mystery and what I’m supposed to already know. What’s the crystal thing my guy keeps looking at? What does it mean to “synchronize”? There are all these glowing crystal things, but I don’t know what I would want to collect them.

Is there like a super beginner’s guide to AC that I can read?

In our near future, they’ve invented a way to create a VR simulation based on “genetic memories”. As you play through the other person’s memory, if you perform an action that he performed way back in those days, they’re synchronized. But if you do something like kill a civilian or get yourself killed, which didn’t happen to the person whose genetic memories you are simulating, then the simulation gets dysnchronized, and has to reset to a point where you were still synchronized.

I think he means the synchronizing at the eagle spots?

Well, that fits too. Because it means the person with the genetic memory whose past you’re dwelling in also went to those eagle spots, so when you go there, you synchronize because you’re exactly duplicating a genetic memory.

Oh man, where to start? The AC lore barely makes sense if you’ve played all the games. I can’t imagine jumping on near the tail end and trying to make sense of it. Personally, I’d suggest yelling “YO HO HO” and go enjoy being a pirate. And especially ignore all that business about sages.

Well, it’s more important than that. While the term ‘synchorize’ means that in this game lore, the more important aspect of it at those eagle markers is that it uncovers part of the map. Those eagle spots do the same thing for land-based maps that clearing a fort does for water maps.

Also - the ‘animus fragments’ - or as you called them ‘glowing diamonds’ - don’t really give you anything. They’re a collectible, and if you get them all, you may get an achievement out of it. They also might help for multiplayer, but I never played that, so I don’t remember for sure.

True. Also, I don’t have full knowledge of this, but synchronization also doubled for health in the first few games, from a gameplay perspective. I seem to recall that as you got more and more synchronized, it meant that full synchronization kept grow, and thus, in gameplay terms your max health kept growing too the farther you got in the game’s story. But I could be mis-remembering. It’s been a while since I played an AC game.

Only true for the first game. For the Ezio trilogy, upgrading armor did the trick. For AC3 - nothing you did increased your health - always thought that was a major failing. AC4 - you craft things using dead animal skins (obtained via hunting) to ultimately double your health (from 4 ‘bars’ to 8 after the 4 upgrades).

Having played Crackdown, I’m naturally drawn to glowing things above buildings. Good to know that they’re ignorable.