Assassin's Creed Mirage - Basim's prequel to Valhalla

I avoid things getting repetitive by mixing in Far Cry and Ghost Recon.

I think they reached their peak in Unity. That game’s failure is probably what led Ubisoft to to steer the series in the direction it took for the next few years, but like others have said the reasons for the failure were more about execution than the style of the game being played out.

I lost interest in the AC games after I played Dying Light- the parkour in these is just so lame comparatively. I haven’t tried and of the RPG ones, though. I know the first is on GP, and I think about living it around, but Fenix seems more interesting.

I’ll never understand the love for Syndicate. It’s got a brilliant and just incredibly well-built setting to explore…and then it punishes you for wanting to explore it by putting enemy gang members every 6 feet and curious cops almost as close. Just an absolutely boneheaded design decision.

That’s what’s so attractive about Origin and the post-Origin games: you may still run into hostiles, but it’s far less frequent (and can be easily mitigated) and you can explore the amazing game worlds they’ve created without having to fight a horde of rival gangs and police ever few minutes.

I like the way you think!

You’re just miffed because my gang is better than your gang and you’se afraid o’ the coppahs!

Nah. It’s just that swatting away the gnats of rival gangs, cops show up in droves and and it’s either murder them all (which feels stupid) or get out of there. Which is usually successful. But that isn’t the same thing as exploring.

That did get old after a while, I agree. And it was kind of crazy how many cops were on patrol.

Still, I don’t recall not being able to explore. I think Syndicate had the most immersive feeling city overall, bustling with activity and just fantastic looking. The street musicians were a nice touch, too. And that soundtrack was so unique.

The way your buddies would hijack their own buggies and carriages to keep up with you when you did the same was pretty great :)

They are claiming it is an all time low

How about a CGI trailer? Everybody loves those, right?

They could not have picked a less interesting character for the protagonist. I have minimal interest in playing this as a result. I guess I’ll see if I’m sufficiently bored enough to drop $15 on Uplay+ for it.

I imagine I’m one of the few, if not the only one, that’s a little bummed by this news. I love the batshit insanity of the overarching mythology of the AC series and the way the present day story weaves into the historical aspects.

https://gamerant.com/assassins-creed-mirage-no-modern-present-day-gameplay

It’s not just Mirage that’s cutting the modern day stuff out. Ubi said that for Infinity, the AC games like Red and Hexe will feature no modern day gameplay. All modern stuff will be a separate thing in the Infinity hub.

Yeah, I’m bummed too. At first my thought was “oh, this is a great compromise, the people don’t like the modern story get it out their games, and people like me who like the modern day story still get it in the infinity hub”. But then I thought about it some more, and am I really going to go looking through the infinity hub and the connections between the modern day stuff and the historical stuff if it’s no longer part of the game? Doubtful. But maybe. It depends on their implementation, I guess, but I can’t imagine how they would make the Infinity hub as compelling as when that stuff was within the game.

At the very least I hope they keep the glitchy reminders within the games that you’re playing something in the Animus. That stuff really helps my immersion.

Meanwhile I’m delighted I’ll never have to deal with a modern day section ever again.

For someone who doesn’t really play AC games, what’s the deal with the modern-day stuff? Does that ever amount to anything or was it just a 10+ year JJ Abrams style mystery never to be explained? I played a couple of hours of AC1, and a couple of Odyssey, and that’s it.

I’d be delighted, but the change seems to coincide with shifts in gameplay and business model that mean I’ll likely never play it anyway. Too late, in other words.

I’m very skeptical, especially as I bounced off Valhalla pretty hard despite loving Odyssey, but I’m glad they’re mixing things up. And if they’re keeping the GaaS/multiplayer stuff in Infinity and out of the single player side I’ll be happy.

Two things the modern day stuff adds, in my opinion:

First, sure it’s pretty goofy but I enjoy the wraparound meta story of the Templars having become a global multimedia corporation, using technology and specifically video games to push its narrative through these “Assassin’s Creed” video games. I also like the weird angle of the Isu, the beings that lived on earth before humanity and ruled them as gods. They’re probably not abandoning the Isu, but sounds like they are segregating that content so that the historical tourists can just enjoy the old stuff.

Secondly, and more interestingly in my opinion, this loses a perspective that’s been critical though very understated in AC games - the idea that, through the animus, you aren’t playing events as they happened but rather the memories of the character you’re inhabiting, and events as that character remembered them. This allows them to do interesting things narratively - Assassin’s Creed 3 allowed you to see the same characters through different characters’ eyes, played once as heroes and again later as villains, because that’s how those characters perceived them. It also allows them to present things like ancient gods and mythological creatures in Origins and Odyssey, because those beings were real to the characters that lived in those times. My concern is that downplaying the animus and its connection between modern day and historical perspectives will cost the games these interesting perspectives.

Templar stuff and alien gods, gotcha. So it was explained to some degree.