Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

I liked Origins a fair bit, and played it all the way through. This looks to me to be identical to Origins. I know it’s a different team, and I remember an early interview where they nodded to the Origins team as “doing something similar to what we are doing with Odyssey completely by surprise!” and me calling bullshit and I still watch that video and think, “Bullshit”. This game is the same! I don’t mind, but I also just played Origin last year. What are some of the features that set this one apart from Origins? Other than the setting, which I think is awesome.

More boat action for sure. :|

And that was the worst part of Origins!

I’ve been saying the same thing all along. I’m fine with more of that, since I like Origins a lot, but the crazy hype of how different and exciting this is compared to Origins is downright puzzling.

Are we not expecting dialogs with choices? That would be the difference.

So Telefrog and Scott: Did AC: Origins have all these? Including 3 and 4? (I don’t know, I didn’t play Origins).

No. But I’m not convinced Odyssey will either.

Origins did have Named mercenaries hunt you down as bounty hunters.

I finished that quest in Origins and it was horrible! :D

Yes, but they weren’t at all like a Nemesis system.

1. Origins had naval combat. It didn’t have much exploration. Origins is pitched as having exploration depth similar to Black Flag.

2. Origins didn’t have the conquest battles.

3. Origins had named mercenaries. It wasn’t at all like the “Nemesis system” however. The mercenaries here have generated characteristics, follow you, and when you kill one, another may be hired to take his place.
    3a. The nemesis mercenaries are also hired as enemy elites/officers for conquest battles. Killing them in that combat setting will cause a big turn in the battle, and if you win the battle increase the rewards gained.

4. Origins didn’t have dialogue choices. You were rarely given choices that mattered much in Origins. Certainly none that forked story elements further into game/story.

5. Origins had organic day/night cycles. Early AC titles had this. Then they seemed to go away in the middle of the series. You could do night missions, but you had to choose to do night missions. You couldn’t stand and wait in daylight hours for the evening.

6. Origins had skill trees as described here. AC has been doing skill trees for a while. They appear to have fully fleshed it out here, almost Witcher-style.

7. Origins was the first game in the series with “levels”

8. Origins had a big world. Odyssey has a bigger world.

No doubt. Thanks for the details! And that goes for the earlier posts too. I’m hopelessly behind in the series myself.

I liked the Naval stuff in Black Flag a lot and steered clear of any water stuff in Origins, for whatever reason (just not much to do, maybe? I hated_ the sequences with whatsherface out in the ocean. Those moments can fuck right off.

I like the idea of more dialog options and having them mean something, though I have my doubts - in even the best RPG’s most dialog options circle back to the same thing, after all, and I have a feeling Assassin’s Creed isn’t going to be the game to crack that code.

One of the things that would get me super hyped for this is better and more interesting skill trees. Origins did an okay to unsatisfying job there - many of the skills I was putting points into just weren’t that exciting or interesting, is my memory of things. I want to have lots of awesome stuff to get and look forward to, and really struggle with what tree I should start building down, but in Origins I feel like there were a few obvious right choices and the rest didn’t matter much. I could be mis-remembering.

Stuff like “bigger world” and “higher level cap” don’t mean much though, not too me. I already felt Origins was maybe 5 hours too long.

Why? Have they faked all of the videos demonstrating these systems? Have they given fake copies of the game to people that have played it?

Healthy skepticism is one thing but there’s plenty of evidence for most if not all of this.

I guess tides didn’t exist in ancient greece? What a garbage game. /s

I am guessing there won’t be crocodile’s or hippo’s. They are removing content! :D

I mean, there’s a video I didn’t link to for spoiler reasons where a reviewer explicitly talks about 2-3 decisions made very early in the game in quests created dramatically different outcomes, and the decisions to be made were extremely difficult and made me think of The Witcher 3 reflexively.

At any rate, more so than any other recent AC game, I’m encouraged that UBI is allowing streamers to post content and impressions this far before release. The studio and publisher at least seem to be very confident in what they’ve put together.

I thought this was out on Tuesday. Disappointed to know it’s not until Thursday/Friday.

Is it much bigger in terms of landmass though? I didn’t look at that spoilery map posted earlier, but I got the feeling that it was a lot of extra water to enable a more ‘black flag’ exploration vibe.

FYI, GMG keys started going out earlier today and should be fully distributed shortly.

Pre-loading now, it’s a 40gb install footprint for English-only, not out of line with what the last few AC games have been.

Pre-load not available for Steam yet, sadly.

I haven’t finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I still have all the DLC for AC Origins.

I am not going to buy this now!

Looks at game in GMG cart

D:

giphy