Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

I finished in full Amazon gear. I am Kassandra of Themyscira!

The biggest factor in my perception of difficulty in Odyssey comes from abilities rather than level. Once I had my core abilities in place, the game became much easier. And then, when I leveled my Spear high enough to cap some of these abilities, I was a God. I have absolutely no problem with small groups of enemies at my level. The only issues come when I have multiple regular enemies and 3 or more Mercs attacking me at once.

As far as scaling goes, I appreciate the way it’s done here. Since I’ll be spending a lot of time backtracking to old areas now that I’ve completed the family story arc, plowing through hordes of enemies like they were rice paper and with no experience benefit makes me feel like I’m just wasting time in pursuit of completing my next goal. Even though the combat is easy now, I still have to engage in it; I’m not impervious. So, I have my power fantasy achievement intact while still feeling immersed in moment to moment overcoming.

This has absolutely been my experience as well. Once I got abilities set to match my play-style, I felt VERY powerful against same-level enemies, even in groups of 2 or more.

I saw this late today and I cannot help but agree. I went warrior and scattered my abilities. Then I respec’d around level 16 or so and --wow --much better. K was pleased.

It was close, but I’m not going to finish the game before RDR2 is available to play in the morning. So - it’ll have to wait.

Not long - I have a little bit of Chios to finish up, then Lesbos to explore. Main story is done, just wrapping up the other two. If work is slow enough (or I end up having to run enough code), I may even get it done tomorrow and start on RDR2.

Nonetheless, it’s a shame it came out right before RDR2. It’s definitely a GOTY candidate, but will probably lose out.

Oh - and the tombs were better in Origins, FWIW.

Agreed.

Also, I still have many hours ahead of me finishing the last 2 Odyssey arcs. Killing cultists takes time. A long time.

This makes me sad. Then again Egypt has the best Tombs. ;)

lol there are plenty of tombs etc. But LK it’s about character in this one I think. Combat, and quests, and gear – all that is fine gameplay. But it ends up being a bit banal. What makes this game special is Kassandra and the way they portray her. Sure she says the same thing on some quests (“what can I do for you”) BUT…

She is perhaps the most realized character in an open world game – uh – pc ow since Red is almost out and I am not sure – in a long while. I know you guys are moving over to Red Dead…. but Kassandra is a special character and one that I like to think moves women one notch forward in video games.

I completely agree on your assessment of Kassandra.

One of the thing my SO remarked upon watching Kassandra do her thing for a bit is that it seemed she’s almost directly subbed in for the male character. Don’t know how far that is true, but it often seems that way. For example so far in my game she has bedded like four women and only one man, who is a huge queen (Alkibiades lol). I ended up killing another male character that was about to jump into bed with K.

She does have great looks. I love how she isn’t oversexualized as women in games often are. No huge prominent boobs here, just fiery eyes.

I am going to go out on a limb here and fully agree that Kassandra is all kinds of awesome. My kids are all girls and we are raising them as gamers (they can make their own decisions when they are 18). So it is encouraging to see a character like this where gender is only one aspect of who she is, not the sole defining aspect.

Agreed. AC Odyssey’s legacy is already written; Kassandra is the watershed “Wonder Woman” moment in video games. (Suck it, Laura Croft!)

Quick question that I don’t quite know where to put elsewhere…

So I finally bought the game and spent some time playing it while also trying to record footage for the commentated Let’s Play. I used the recording feature that comes standard with NVIDIA’s “GeForce Experience”, but the quality isn’t what I’d like. Now, my system runs the game okay (mostly medium settings), and it still looks good, with the occasional stutter when recording, but the resulting video has artefacts, stuttering, etc. and doesn’t look very good.

Anyone have any advice as to a better way to record footage (on PC)?

And as regards the game: loving it so far. I have my (historical) quibbles, and I really wish the opening bits didn’t come off as quite the blatant 300 rip-off that it is, but this is pretty good.

Try OBS?

Thanks! I’ll give it a go. :-)

As an aside about Odyssey, I find it funny to encounter anachronistic names. “Markos” is a good example: no Greek in 431 BC would have been called that. The same applies to “Drucilla/Drusilla”. It gets a good chuckle out of me, like the use of the modern Greek Spyros in Clash of the Titans (2010).

The crowds speak modern Greek, by the way, not ancient.

Yeah, well, blame that on the Animus.

Kind of like blaming frog DNA for dinosaur “life finds a way” changes in Jurassic Park, you know? ;)

Does anyone else feel that the whole ‘eagle spotting’ thing doesn’t work as well as it did in Origins? I mean, it seems decent for locating enemies, but I’ve literally hovered right over a treasure it couldn’t see until I moved about 10 feet in a particular direction and tried again.

It’s worked fine and dandy for me. Never have had that happen.

Strange. Had it happen multiple times, where I’ve had to move around the fort (usually) in order to get the right angle or something on that last treasure chest or ainigmata ostraka or whatever.

And…done. 121+ hours.

It’s definitely more finicky than Origins. Hasn’t been a huge issue, but it is a bit annoying.