Assassin's Creed: Origins - 2017, Ancient Egypt, hawk spotter drone

I too would like to hear about the combat. I’m nervous about the life bars and loot chase aspects.

I won’t have time till Sunday to play, I have a few missions I still need to wrap up in Syndicate first.

Some spoilers, if you haven’t been following closely.

OMG is this game gorgeous. I just love the setting (I’m a sucker for games like the old [Severance:] Blade of Darkness that have an Ancient Egypt-looking level among all the obligatory other ones (Castle in Snow level, Mines level, etc.).

I’m avoiding these videos… do we know if the damage numbers can be turned off or toned down…?

Yes they can, it was answered in one of the video streams a few days ago.

Tom is streaming this right now on Twitch, btw…

Not sure if it matters for most of you, but the PC version shows a Denuvo EULA before preloading, so I’d say there’s a pretty big chance that the PC version uses Denuvo.

After watching Tom’s stream tonight, I took advantage of GMG’s sale +VIP bonus to pre-order.

Yep, I’m that much of a sucker. ;)

Frankly, it’s everything after the point I reached at the end of the stream that I think it going to make or break Assassin’s Creed: Origins. There are some cool tools in here, but for me what matters is the contexts where they can be used. I’m guessing once you unlock Aya, the game will open up and I’ll get a better sense for what sort of world it is and what options I have to interact with it.

But, no joke, that fuckerbullshit about having to swap out my weapons and tools is soooo annoying! Why can’t I have a selection wheel, or at least a game built around equipping them at a base? Ubisoft did the same dumbass thing in the last Ghost Recon. “Hey, everyone, use whichever guns and grenades you want, whenever you want, so long as you don’t mind mucking around on an inventory screen! Have at it!”

So frickin’ stupid.

-Tom

You mean like in Rpgs? As in, you have an inventory, and thats where you store all your stuff and equip your character?

In most RPGs, I don’t think you’re constantly switching out weapon sets from one fight to another 5-10 minutes later. At least not in well-designed ones. That’s Tom’s complaint–it edges a little close to being overly fiddly.

I came this close to doing that earlier today but realized that I’ve got about two billion un- and underplayed games, so I’d better hold off for a bit (at least till Christmas break).

Wouldn’t be even more onerous to have to return to base every time you wan to equip some new weapon?

So it’s related to drop rates of new weapons?

No more onerous than having to visit a tonic machine to swap your tonics in Bioshock. If the game is designed to force you into choosing the tool you want before diving into gameplay, that’s cool. I love those kind of hard choices! But if the game just forces you into a static – and kludgy – inventory screen during gameplay, that’s a problem. Horizon: Zero Dawn did the same dumbass thing. You had all your weapons, all the time. But you could only access four at a time without having to dick around in an obtusely designed inventory screen

Were the other Assassin’s Creeds like this? I seem to recall having a weapon wheel that let me change between, say, sleep darts and smoke bombs with minimal fuss. And certainly without having to step out of the gameplay proper.

-Tom

I think being able to access to your complete stash without having to come back to a ‘base’ is good, cutting down filler time travel.

That said, that’s a different issue than having a badly designed inventory screen!
And in fact, how many weapons you can have on your own and accessible in combat is also a different, third issue (2 like in CoD? 4 in the dpad? 10 like in Doom using the numbers/wheel?)

That was good watching the stream, it did sell me a little better on the game. There’s weird stuff in there, the whole “avenging another player’s death” thing like in Diablo 3 felt out of place. But ultimately it did seem like an AC game, which I guess is comforting.

I have completed the downloading.

Bring it, not-ancient-Egypt!

Again, it depends on the game design, doesn’t it? Bioshock was based on you choosing a loadout. Did you consider playing the areas between tonic machines “filler travel time”? Of course not. It was gameplay! And those vending machines were an important element in making the game’s geography meaningful. Is going back to base in Agents of Mayhem to change which three agents you’re playing “filler travel time”? Of course not. Committing to three agents when you leave the base in a fundamental element of the game.

If you’re going to let me use all the tools I’ve found – the ten weapons in Doom, for instance – don’t force me to stop the game to access the tools. As far as I can tell, there’s no reason Assassin’s Creed Origin couldn’t put all its weapons and tools on a selection wheel.

You have convenient access to two weapons and one tool. You have inconvenient access, during combat or whenever, to every single weapon or tool. There is no reason other than game design laziness and interface idiocy for doing it that way.

-Tom

I recall reading that you could equip two bows and two melee weapons, with the ability to quickly switch between them. Was that not possible last night?

I left mid-stream due to tiredness and work today. :p