Assassin's Creed Rogue - Last gen, AC, more pirates

That’s a great find - Thanks Pleugim!

I will reply to myself
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/477709/assassins-creed-rogue-pc-version-listed-by-brazilian-classification-board/

With all the Unity drama today, Rogue is getting overlooked when to seems to be the more favorably reviewed game.

Rogue’s main character seems 100x more interesting, as does the story.

No reviews on this one out yet?

My copy just came in the mail, but going to bed.

So, only 4 places seems to have reviews this one, scoring it a nice 84 on Metacritic. I wonder why no-one seems to want to review it, seeing as it seems to be the better of the two AC games coming out now.

I’ll be waiting for this to hit current gen consoles and skip Unity completely. At least this one doesnt have ingame microtransactions.

Polygon mentioned in an editorial they were not sent a review copy until yesterday. That’s probably why if they aren’t alone.

Wendelius

I think the one review I read said it was a very successful iteration on the now familiar Black Flag formula.

Which is a good thing in my opinion.

I’d take an iteration of black flag’s gameplay over yet another tired AC game any day. In fact i did when i got this instead of unity.

I played this a little.

The naval combat seems fun as ever.

Having water damage you is an interesting mechanic that should negate some of the long distance swims.

My templar armor (pre-order) code does not seem to work. i can redeem it but i see nothing to suggest it activated and gave me anything.

The stupid future story arc is back, yet again. When will they realize that nobody likes these and it distracts from the real game?

At this point quite obviously never. It’s how many games now? Half a dozen? They seem pretty attached to it for some reason.

To be fair, they seem to be dialing down on the future arc more and more with each game. I remember wasting a lot of time with the horrible Desmond sections in AC2, whereas in AC3 and AC4 the future sections barely registered. They were still there, but I didn’t find anywhere near as annoying as before. I even found it mildly interesting in Black Flag, with all the meta commentary. Haven’t played Rogue or Unity yet though so don’t know how they’ve handled it in the new games.

I think the one review I read said it was a very successful iteration on the now familiar Black Flag formula.

May be, but i watched a couple videos, and it seemed to me that it wasnt a Black Flag side story, as much as an AC3 side story. AC3 characters nobody cared about, snowy forests, boring-ass architecture of Civil War era towns…it sure doesnt FEEL as fun as the sub-tropical romp of Black Flag.

Kotaku loved this game http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-rogue-the-kotaku-review-1661801416

I wonder if we will see PC/NextGen news on this after Christmas?

Maybe I’m weird but I LIKE the modern day story bits.

I enjoy them for the context they bring. I love the idea of being in virtual worlds within virtual worlds. It does this magical hand wave over any glitches or shortcomings in the simulation. In any other game trying to emulate a virtual world, I’m thinking “why can’t I strike up a conversation with a random civilian? Why are conversation between most people just indistinct murmers unless it’s important to the story? Why can’t I just follow a random individual in this world and watch their daily routine like I could in Outcast or the much less impressive Oblivion? Where are all the children in this community? Why can’t I go indoors in most of these houses?”. The list goes on and on. And by having modern day story bits, Assassin’s Creed reminds me that it is one of the only series that has a viable answer to all those questions and more: it wasn’t programmed into the animus. I love that. That’s why even the Far Cry series from the same developer isn’t as immersive to me.

I’ve been playing this a bit recently and I’m liking it. If I had to sum up Rogue, it straddles the line between AC3 and Black Flag, both in content and in gameplay. You’ll see characters and locations from AC3 but you’re still captain of your far-ranging sloop as in Black Flag, and I’m finding the blend to be pleasant. But then I really liked AC3, more than Black Flag, so that may color my opinion.

Yeah, okay - that just managed to talk me OUT of wanting this game ;-)