Assassin's Creed Rogue - Last gen, AC, more pirates

Rogue places fans in the shoes of a Templar, controlling former Assassin-turned-Templar Shay Patrick Cormac. Employing the popular naval gameplay from Black Flag, you navigate a ship across the frigid North Atlantic. Other locales you visit include the Appalachian River Valley and a reimagined New York. Shay is an assassin hunter who has to be even more clever to outsmart his sneaky foes. This entry takes place during the Seven Years’ War, filling in the gap between Black Flag and Assassin’s Creed III.

More pirates and ships sound great, but this will likely be the Ubi “B” team since AC: Unity is going to get all the attention.

Play as a Templar…

Oh, this is for Xbox 360/PS3 only. Meh.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85H4zECAYM

And yeah. It’s odd that they say it’s “exclusive” to the last-gen consoles. We all know it’s going to come to PC later.

Then, pc would be the only platform to have both AC games!

In any case, I can’t imagine this is going to be very… novel / full of good content / polished. Why? Well, AC games are expensive to make, and this is going to be directed to a smaller market (yes, actual multi generation games already sell worse on the old consoles) and part of the typical AC player is going to be focused on Unity instead of this one. I can’t see them throwing money down the drain in this game. But who knows, maybe the market is bigger than I think.

I’d have loved to play that, but I kinda got rid of my PS3 for a new PS4…what on earth is up with this?

Don’t be sad, you get Unity. Besides, we all know this will come as a digital release for current-gen systems eventually.

I imagine the meeting at Ubisoft was something pretty close to this:

“Hey guys, I was browsing the Qt3 forums, and it sounds like Wholly Schmidt is making some real progress toward finishing Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood. I hear he’s already gone so far as to order a (second) copy of Assassin’s Creed 3 earlier this morning! At this rate he might catch up with the new AC releases in a year or two, what can we release in a hurry to make sure that doesn’t happen?”

Wow, I did not see this coming. The Gameinformer cover, in the Arctic (?) looks awesome. They must really want to keep the naval gameplay going, but not enough to invest in a next-gen game… Really interesting. If this has the competitive multiplayer, I will have to get it.

Also surprised at the release date, Nov. 11, only 4 months from now, making this one of the shortest announcement-to-release major publisher games I’ve seen.

Wait, this is obviously to generate revenue from those who haven’t upgraded to next gen, duh (since Unity is next-gen only)! I’m an idiot.

Clearly the biggest problem with the Assassin’s Creed series is that the games were coming out too infrequently. Thank goodness Ubi is picking up the pace.

So both this and the one in France are coming out this year?

I’ll have to wait to see more about Rouge but so far it sounds more interesting more a setting and theme standpoint than Unity does. Black Flag was the best AC since II because of the great integration of the ship. I was tired of just running around in a big city and Unity looks to be going back to that. Even though I have a PS4 I could actually see myself getting AC Rouge first.

The existence of the game was “common knowledge”, exactly it leaked as “project comet”, an AC game for the old consoles.
Assassin's Creed Comet May Star a Templar in North America - IGN (In March they knew already concrete details like the game world and the main character)

That’s the plan.

Rogue - November 11th, 2014.
Unity - October 28th, 2014.

It is an interesting strategy. Make one game current-gen-only, and make the other game last-gen-only. I would love to know one day if that works out to selling more copies collectively than what AC4 sold on current and last-gen platforms put together. And how much more doing it this way is costing them.

The naval combat was the best part of AC black flag by far. If i have to choose between the same mediocre AC land combat (complete with absolutely terrible missions) and playing naval combat on the last gen, i’ll pick the naval combat every time.

Appalachian River Valley is where, exactly? I’m assuming they mean the Hudson?

Two trailers out of Gamescon, land and arctic sea. Penguins confirmed. Also polar bears. Oh, bother…

It’s all very AC4 (Shay even uses two swords, so they can keep the combat animations). Three locations: New York (urban) the river valley (mixed land and sea) and the North Atlantic ocean (mostly sea?).

It uses some of the multiplayer interface elements in the single player.

Also, you, uh… you have a grenade launcher.

Anyway, Unity will probably keep me satisfied with Assassin’s Creed this fall, but I’m sure I’ll end up playing this.

Penguins? I thought Penguins were only living at the South Pole, not the north pole. Maybe it’s a misprogrammed element in the Animus.

Yeah, thats the first thing my GF said as well - kinda stupid mistake to make.

Those aren’t penguins, I believe they’re great auks, which have since become extinct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_auk