Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I’ll look into that! That sounds like the pawn system from uh… Dragon’s Dogma!

Hmmm. Apparently there is a system in the game like Origin in which you can take bounties and avenge other players who have been killed by enemies. There’s a challenge for doing 10 of them.

I’ve literally never seen this happen in all my time playing the game.

Me either. Maybe because there’s really not much dying in this game? Dark Souls it ain’t.

And I’ve never seen any of you guys’ jomsvikings, either.

-Tom

If playing first, put your dice forward conservatively to see what the other player prioritises.

If playing second, you know what’s in front of the other player and can respond more easily.

Prioritise putting forward a few dice with the red border as they will gain you some power you will be able to use when the favour phase comes around.

As for what dice disappear, I explained that in my “in a nutshell”. Armour prevents damage. So, if an axe hits a helmet, the die and its counter disappear.

One of the favour powers is also to remove armour from the opponent’s pool.

There isn’t much to it. Just play a few red border red dice to open and try and outdamage your enemy.

I’ve come across a few of these kids in the game, they have timed bounties to avenge other players, check the bigger towns. They are tied to the one person in the Homestead, that you can buy gear from with opals I think?

I’ve been using 457.30 since 11/9 and haven’t had any issues, FYI.

Also on these drivers, with my EVGA 2080, no issues.

The swamp witch areas should be littered with ghosts of dead people, if nothing else. The very first one you come across is a level ~160 iirc, in a level 20 zone. It’s more likely that this simply isn’t working properly and is probably related to the online errors that are triggered when you try to view other people’s photos on the map.

That’s a different thing. The kids offer in-game store stuff in exchange for opals.

The avenge this fallen player thing happens when you come across a dead body outside of a fort that represents where a player died on your server.

Well, the title of his book pretty much gives away his thoughts - silver and blood (dynasty). But he could have called it “ships”, because it is the clinker-built longship that starts and ends the tale. The “real” longships start being produced around the middle of the 700s, and the result in a massive boom in trade because they are faster and more seaworthy than the ships that come before. And those ships bring in silver, through the new, rapidly growing trade centers established (Hedeby, Kaupang, Ribe, Aarhus, Birka - every old Scandinavian city/town is founded in this period - and all seem to be planned cities, suggesting attempts by strong local rulers to exploit trade). These rulers use their new-found wealth to do what every powerful noble during the middle-ages do when they gain silver - to pillage and conquer the lands of their neighbors.

The difference between Earl Offa in Wessex and Jarl Torstein in Norway is that the former can march his hand-picked men for a week, and he’s still not very far distant from his home. The latter can set sail on his ship, and one day later he can have reached the Orkneys. A week later, he could be almost anywhere on the British coast. The world had suddenly become a smaller place, and for Jarl Torstein, Earl Offa was now a neighbor. A rich neighbor. And crucially, Jarl Torstein now had methods to become rich and powerful that did not necessarily rely on the patronage of whatever lord he served.

“Viking” myth often has a British slant to it, but I don’t see much evidence for those periods. Danish Kings both fought and allied with the Carolingians early on (the Danes were a constant thorn in Charlemagne’s side, because his Saxon enemy Widukind repeatedly sought refuge with his relatives in Denmark). Even in the early 800s, you have records of Norse army/fleets of 200 ships or more - numbers that dwarf the latter “Great Heathen Army”. That army itself was essentially a conglomerate of armies that had ravaged France and now saw their opportunity in England. That there was opportunism involved seems certain - though always with dynastic maneuvering in the picture. The men who led these armies were not nobodies; they were nobles and sons of petty kings, because only the rich could outfit a ship. Eventually power becomes centralized in the hands of more powerful nobles and that eventually leads to a King powerful enough to conquer England (Sweyn Forkbeard).

An interesting point, IMO, is that the Scandinavian expansion (i.e., “Viking Age”) does not end in 1066, as English-centered history would like us to believe. Danes continued to menace England during the ensuing decades. But around 1100, the Western European kingdoms entered a stable period, so Scandinavian expansion shifted targets - focusing on the much easier - if less rich - pickings along the Baltic, leading to the conquests of among other things Pomerania and Estonia, as well as attempts on Prussia and Finland (which eventually gets “colonized”). Campaigns of conquest and pillage masquerading as “crusades” and conversion.

The real end of the expansion comes during the mid-1200s. And it’s all about ships again - the slow and ugly, but also much more capacious Cog basically leads to the death of the longship, because the former is a superior trading ship. As importantly, Lübeck gradually rises as the pre-eminent port of the North Sea and the old Norse trading ports decline, and that means that the massive influx of rich profits no longer flow into the coffers of Scandinavian Kings. And without the outsize advantage granted to them by superior ships and the silver to fund armies, the expansion peters out - and we enter the “dark ages” of the Scandinavian Kingdoms and the Hanseatic wars.

TLDR; there were certainly changes in technology and society that occurred during the 500 years in which Scandinavians “ruled” the waves of the North sea, but I find the case Lundt Hansen makes for a certain continuity (i.e., greedy noblemen doing what noblemen do - see the Crusader Kings games) until they could no longer do so, quite compelling.

Oh, I haven’t seen that at all.

I got a mission from the opal kid to kill a thief which happened to be near my homestead. Actually…inside my homestead. I’m running around confused as to why a thief/enemy would be in my town - then I see the quest marker is on top of one of the training dummies outside the assassins house. I “assassinate” the dummy and complete the quest!

He was only dressed as a dummy!

Yeah, there are some wonky glitches. I had a longboat spawn from 50 feet up and drop into the river the other day. I can explain it in game fiction! It’s a glich in The Matrix… errr Animus?

I’m watching the Vikings Series Season 4-5 cocurrently with this. Shout out to Repton reference!

Today’s patch fixed the map zoom with M&K. Yay :)

Who. Is Building. All these. FUCKING FENCES?!

I assume that’s where all the spare dilapidated aquaduct stone went.

Cool side-quest in Essex, in tribute to a recently deceased singer. (Linked to avoid spoilers)

https://twitter.com/rexy/status/1331808681646829568

Smack my bishop!

Not sure if posted as it is over a month old… But infos:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla will add Druids, the French, and the Discovery Tour in post-launch DLC | PC Gamer

Glad to see this game will also be a Discovery Tour mode.

So @tomchick’s jomsviking showed up at the hold today, she’s not great at the ol’ social distancing during raids but she does wear a cloth mask every time we set out.

Enjoy your 100 silvers, Chick!

Uplay shows me 90 hours and 51% complete and fatigue is starting to rear its ugly head. I am glad I finally wrapped the Odin stuff at least. Still have about 6 big shires to go though. Odyssey took me 120 hours and I though that game was too big and overstayed its welcome by about 50. Valhalla is better but I do wish Ubisoft made smaller, denser games. They are no CD Projekt who can deliver both quantity and quality in equal measure.