Atomicrops - plow, plant, and pow on a farm

Oh boy. Four mega trees, but I couldn’t get the fourth peach.

It’s probably the best run I’ve had. Cleared every biome, three spouses, four mega trees, but somehow it is also the saddest. I really thought I had it when I got the daily orchard :(

I can feel myself getting better. My actual skill as a player, I mean. On Day 3, I can feel the push and pull of offense vs defense, and I’m getting used to the faster bullets, and each try I get closer and closer to finish the first season (Spring). Usually the boss is not the issue, I can even beat the boss sometimes, but it’s the bunnies around the boss that are the problem. What always gets me is the farm. I’m always trying to fight and farm at the same time at night time. I wish I could concentrate just on farming, but I just want to clear some weeds and till some soil while I’m fighting. I can do that. I can totally do that. Until I can’t.

Right? I’ve had the same feeling, first with Enter the Gungeon and now Atomicrops.

Some of it is about the weapons and the itemization, but some of it is also just your brain learning to scope the peripheral vision and communicate with your fingers to dance around the bullets.

I’ve noticed that I’m much more likely to get hit by something that isn’t a red dot, like a swooping bird or a floating skull. My brain isn’t as good at identifying those.

Believe it or not I got to Winter last night in Year 3. I still can’t believe it!

Unfortunately the enemies became energized in Winter. So the bunnies that throw bombs, who are normally my bane anyway, now were really deadly, throwing bombs so fast!!!

Can you prevent the enemies from being energized? How the hell did that happen?

Boom. Year 3 completed. I can’t tell you how amazing that is. It seemed completely impossible when I started playing Year 3. Just impossible.

I finally got the “Harvest 144 potatoes in 10 seconds” achievement, quite by accident. Was doing the surplus after the year boss and just got lucky rolls on the seeds from the normal scrolls and got it.

And I have unlocked all the max tier cats. The last one I got (Spring, ironically) removes the invincibility period after damage, but you get +1 to both stats at the start, +10% beet drop, and +20% luck. I am doing ok with it so far.

The one prior was Winter. It greatly increase4s the # of enemiesas well as extra spawns at the farm. But it gives +10% bark skin and +10% luck. This one I have been using but holy shit. The Extra enemies are the lizards/scorpions/roaches/foxes/owles/beetles/hornets/birds, where appropriate. And there are a lot. It gets a bit too hectic even on year 3 at times, at least without I-frames to fall back on. I will probably turn this back off.

It also means those same enemies will spawn at the farm, although usually only 1-2 at a time. But they can cause headaches on top of the boss/normal wave spawns.

There is something that unlocks if you beat year 10 with all shrines active, but holy shit. The one I never use makes heart beats not heal (and big hearts only heal one), and the benefits seem weak (+10% beat drop, +10% luck, +30% pea shooter crit chance).

Good job! You’re officially better than me! Time to reach the Nuclear Throne.

On Saturday when doing Year 2 for Cornicopias, I happened to get four Mega trees, so I got that achievement.

It’s a consequence for always trying to increase my luck with upgrades. Now, nearly every few enemies I seem to get a tree. So on that run I knew I was onto something when I had 4 of each type of tree by Summer, and except Dates. And I didn’t even have an Orchard! But in Fall I got an Orchard. So I figured by the end of the game I would definitely have 3 more Date trees that I needed so I started making room for four mega trees. And sure enough, thanks to the daily orchard trees, I got 4 Date trees as well.

So I would recommend High Luck stat. When you upgrade, don’t sniff at high luck upgrades. They add up and amazing things start happening.

I’ve been going back to Enter the Dungeon recently. It’s bonkers how much harder that game is. It definitely helped prepare me for Atomicrops, but it’s a game loves to punish you to the extent that sometimes it’s no fun.

I like Atomicrops approach better, even if Enter the Gungeon is better at pissing me off and making me want to beat it out of spite.

Way to go man!

I’ve managed to take revenge on that achievement myself. I don’t remember if I got the orchard or I just had a lot of luck.

In the middle of the Winter boss fight, I couldn’t fire my jackrabbit anymore. Right when the enemy (giant bunny on a moon) was around 25%. All my shotgun rounds were full, so it wasn’t lack of ammo. I could still plant seeds. I thought maybe it was my controller that maybe the right trigger stopped working or something? But no, after I died, I could fire again.

So what the hell? Is it a special boss power that’s never been used on me before?

That sounds like a bug unfortunately, unless there’s something I’m unaware of!

It seems there is a new DLC coming

Ohhh, I’ve been meaning to return to this since finishing it at launch. That looks like a good time to jump back in. Thanks for the tip.

Neat!

I wonder if the DLC is worth getting for someone who never got past Year 4.

It will depend on

(1) is the new character hard to unlock (or do you just get it, or what)
(2) powerful
(3) does it bring along progression upgrades.

I will be diving in tomorrow I hope, will try to provide feedback.

• Crow was unlocked for me from the get go.

• Holy shit the leech gun - it’s good when it’s powered. But it “riuns out” and the only way to recharge is to do farm work. This is terrible. Hard pass for me unless this can get mitigated later.

• New guy has all sorts of crazyiness going on. I couldn’t keep track.

1. Whatever replaced heart beats. This stuff is super important. You can get upgrades from a cauldron in-run that are very good. A choice of two items that can be relics or can be stuff like “get a turret and a scarecrow”.

2. In town, in addition to the cashews you earn for specific crops (corn, rice, and tomatoes were what was used for me, could be random?), you dump whatever you harvested into other cauldrons that also give that “1 of 2” choice for upgrades.

3. No merchant to upgrade guns. Instead, guns came with 2-3 mods. And then you didn’t lose them the next day, rather you could swap them out for new guns. I didn’t get far in my run so I need to explore this more. But I never saw a gun break in 4 days.

4. I saw one new relic that added 30 seconds to the day and “reduced the number of enemy waves by one”. Sadly, I did not survive the day I got it.

5. New guy has a limited scroll inventory. Or maybe this is just a new mechanic. IDK. But something increased during the run, not sure what. At least I am pretty sure. But it’s nice that you can see what your scroll limit is.

Those sound like pretty drastic changes.

Ok, I have mostly played the Windows 10 version of this game (Game Pass), but I do own it on Steam and also have the Xbox version through Game Pass. It looks like the DLC is available for Windows 10 version and Steam, but not on Xbox yet.

I fired up the Win10 version, and it’s quite different. For one thing, I don’t see any way of upgrading your gun anymore. So after each day you come back and you buy two different guns, each of which have a stat bonus, and a level, and weapon mods.

I’m a little perplexed at this drastic a change in a game that was already out of Early Access. This is why I wait for 1.0 releases! So they won’t suddenly change the core game on me. But it didn’t work with Dead Cells, which is quite different now compared to 1.0, and now this one too.

So they did this for every character?

That’s. . . weird.

When you bought guns was it giving you stat upgrades (farming and fighting) in addition to mods?

This is such a bizarre change. Mind, I like having different characters with different mechanics, but doing it for all of them seems weird.

I seem to occasionally have trouble watering crops. This has to be a bug.

The scythe - yeah. It’s powerful (just day 2, over in east field but I was one shotting everything; however moles back at the farm were tougher). Then I had to fight the worm in spring and that sucked ass.