August 2017 Solar Eclipse

I was thinking hard about flying into St. Louis yesterday. I’m going to live vicariously through you @CraigM instead. Good luck!

Looking mostly clear out here, but not much of a surprise. Some days I feel like I haven’t seen a raincloud since spring.

Not going to make it anywhere for the total eclipse. We’re getting 71% coverage in the greater NYC area. I’m leaving work early to go home, as I promised the kids we’d go to a nearby Bergen county NJ park to watch it together. We’ve got our properly ISO rated Eclipse glasses.

Since I’m not in the path of the total eclipse, I’m not certain if I’m more excited about the eclipse or taking a 1/2 day at work, but either way, good times. :)

I made a shoebox pinhole viewer last night. And I left it on the table in my hurry to get to the office this morning.

imageblack hole sun won’t you come

And cue the torrential rain. Who knows, maybe it will pass in time. Who am I kidding?

Drove into Portland yesterday from Seattle. Traffic was nothing special although someone had warned me it would take twelve hours. This morning, I headed south and skipped my convoluted route I had planned - traffic wasn’t heavy enough to justify it. Now, Hanging out in Molalla with clear skies and the eclipse set to go in about fifteen minutes.

Very overcast right now. Couple hours to go. Possible rain on the way?

So my brother wanted to get out of town to avoid lights that automatically turn on. He used Google Earth and maps to find a dead end gravel road with green mark on the map and a clearing visible via Google Earth.

But the map didn’t say what it was and GE didn’t zoom enough to make it out.

So we drive there to see what we’d find…

Summary

It’s a graveyard

Cool! Maybe you’ll get to see some zombies come out as well.

I didn’t realize eclipse glasses would be so… um, dark. Now the pinhole camera doesn’t seem so bad.

It’s beginning!

Good luck, folks! I will be stuck inside as someone decided to start up our seasonal factory today and is always our longest day of the year. Clouds are coming in, but I may pop out to get a look if I time it right. I think we are around 80% ish where I am in Michigan.

After all the worries about traffic and whatnot we decided to travel down to Salem from Portland in about 1 hour 10 minutes. Maybe 15 minutes longer than normal.

Glad we went. Totality was amazing.

It cleared up nicely here in Kansas City. Partial eclipse looks great right now. Totality is coming in about 47 minutes here.

Yay! I saw the eclipse! 94% eclipse where I am, so pretty darned good.

Really, the most impressive thing to me was the temperature drop.

Neat. 90% coverage in the Bay Area. Make sure you look at the tree shadows. :)

We drove down to Charlotte NC for the weekend and were planning to head to Charleston SC this morning. Too much cloud cover so we changed our minds and cut inland towards Greenville SC. 85 is backed up so we took back roads. Called the park ahead of time and they said they were at capacity and directing people away. We settled for a nice college campus in the mountains - Furman University. We should achieve totality in 55 minutes w/ 35% cloud cover. Crossed fingers!

Was 92% in SLC, but not a single cloud in the sky for some perfect viewing. And after a summer of nothing but triple-digit days, it feels so damn nice outside right now.

I’m in Greenville too. Park with playground we’re at has a bunch of people but is great that the kids have something to do while we wait for totality and in between cloud passes. Jovial atmosphere all around with all these people. It’s nice.

89 in SC in the shade feels like being in AC in Florida, lol.