Avatar: The Last Airbender - Suriprisingly good anamated serieis

I’m currently subscribed to CBS All Access. After I read your post, I opened the App on my phone and double checked it. They definitely have all 4 seasons.

And how did you hold up to Tales of Ba Sing Se?

What he said.

Damn the Iroh vignette to hell; I didn’t ask for feels of that magnitude!

Another upvote for Korra here. It’s hamstrung somewhat by its production problems but the animation is gorgeous and I love the soundtrack. I don’t think its writing is as brave as She-Ra but it’s still decent and worth watching. It has some awesome action too.

How dare you! :-P

I’m not going to say people like you are why Hollywood studios insist all movies have happy endings, but I’m certainly thinking it loudly.

I found that ending extra-sweet because before that moment I’m all, “after all of that they’re gonna be dicks to Momo?! WTF?!”

Korra suffered from a few things, but I’d say the cause was not quite knowing how much time they had, which led to a bunch of seasons that were done to be the end and then, guess what, keep going.

But it’s simply not as good as AtLA. It aims high, it tries stuff, but it also drops interesting stuff on the way, and it never manages to get a proper interesting core group of characters, Korra’s “gang” is just not as good as Aang’s.

I also prefer Aang to Korra as a character. The kid who doesn’t want to be the Avatar while the world desperately needs him to be, versus the teenager who very much wants to be the Avatar in a world that doesn’t want her to be, but that one’s a personal preference thing.

If you enjoyed ATLA or Korra you should check out She-Ra and The Princesses of Power which is similar and also awesome.

@ArmandoPenblade did a great write up here:
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (2018, Netflix)

I concur with this recommendation and Armando’s great write up. She-Ra was surprisingly good.

Absolutely everyone should absolutely watch She-Ra!

A third upvote for Korra and this summary. I still remember how astounded I was by the quality of the music and the art in the first episode. The animation is amazing through out, and they do two particularly beautiful flashback episodes where the animation style changes to that of historical Chinese prints. Apart from anything else, the show is just a pleasure to watch. Oh and there’s an amazing fight in season 3, which combines 6 years of steady world building into this great organic whole. Fuck. Now I’m going to have to re-watch this thing.

Aaaaand finished. Much like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, I really powered through the back half of this show, and much like with Steven Universe, the real enjoyment came after taking a lot of time to warm up to it. Reading this thread for some week-by-week reactions to the third season, esp. the finale, was pretty entertaining.

Deus Ex Machina don’t bother me too much, and I was a sucker for Aang/Katara from the get-go, so there wasn’t much about the end that hit me wrong. Watching the Old People Faction kick ass and re-take Ba Sing Se was epic as fuck, and Zuko/Katara’s battle against his unhinged sister was epic as hell. Would have loved to get more meteor swording and earthcrushing blows from Sokka and Toph, as others mentioned, but overall, hard to complain about. The Aang/Ozai fight was heavily reminiscent of DBZ cinematography what with the breathless sailing through impossible rock-towers, blasting each other mercilessly with fireballs, in a way that really struck a chord with my inner 13-year-old.

I think I walk away loving Katara most; her strength, bravery, purpose, and vision really do pull the team through again and again, and watching her get some real payoff from all that (basically dragging them bodily through the dessert after Appa’s stolen, and the whole tiff with Toph about mothering the team) was very rewarding. It probably doesn’t hurt that she reminds me heavily of a dear friend who shares many of those traits (and gets many of those same critiques), heh. Toph, Iroh, Mai, the kooky inventor dude, and Suki also stood out a lot.

I didn’t jive with Sokka quite as well. Never actively disliked him, but I was surprised by the outpouring of deep affection as I read through others’ concluding thoughts in this thread! And while I definitely dug Zuko’s arc and complex redemption (the mini-quests with everyone, and Toph whining about not getting a good one, was awesome), he’s just a little too whiny-emo Kylo Ren for me too much of the time to really love.

In any case, the development was fantastic, and the worldbuilding was just a ton of fun. Loved the hybrid animal wackiness throughout, and the crazy landscapes and fascinating city designs the showrunners showcased each season.

Also, holy fuck Ba Sing Se’s secret government agent mind-controlling motherfucker faction was creepy as shit. I may have already mentioned that in my S2 thoughts, but dammit, they deserve to get called out again. 1000% fuck those dudes :)

On to Korra, with everyone’s various reservations and grains of salt in mind. I’ll probably take a break till at least tomorrow, though; I watched like 4 hours of Avatar tonight >.>

And @Rock8man, @WhollySchmidt, @Calelari, @Daagar, @Balasarius, @lordkosc, get thee to the She-Ra thread and watch it, dagnabbit :P

If you don’t like it, I owe you one “Told you so, you show-evangelizing crazy person!” each.

Sounds like you got a lot out of the show, as did I. Watching it with my son is one of my fondest experiences and I’ve rewatched it a couple times since on my own. No show is perfect, but it’s damn good.

I don’t think our TV will be allowed to show anything that’s not Hamilton for the next few months, but maybe I can sneak a few episodes in here and there.

Guess you just don’t appreciate sarcasm and meat enough.

Oh, and science.

You just reminded me how great the villain of early Korra is… That’s not a spoiler–he’s not related to the Ba Sing Se folks–but he’s creepy and sometimes just feels scary-unstoppable in a way you rarely see. Enjoy!

But the animation/music/sound comp for his final confrontation with his sister is friggin’ beautiful. It’s just-- perfect and gorgeous and sad and beautiful and triumphant and and and

It’s my list, man!

Yes sir!

But I don’t have time just yet. I’m already watching 1,2,3 shows right now: Korra, Schitt’s Creek and The 100 (Morons). My Netflix membership expires on July 8th though, so my load will get a little lighter. I’ll be able to devote my full attention to Korra for a bit.