Avengers: Endgame SPOILER Topic (Enter at your own risk)

I can’t really put my finger on it, but I didn’t leave the theater feeling hyped like I did with Infinity War. But for a Thursday night showing my theater’s response was remarkably tame. Maybe I just need to sit with it longer, but after Infinity War I was already thinking how it would be fun to see it again, whereas with Endgame I’m pretty confident I won’t see it again til it hits streaming.

Don’t get me wrong, I found it enjoyable. Hemsworth is really grudgingly winning me over the last few movies, because no man should be that handsome and actually be talented or funny. The exchange with Starlord at the end of the movie about who was in charge might have actually been my favorite moment.

The more I’ve been thinking about it, the more I’m loving it. There are so many iconic moments and character turns packed into this thing. I feel like everyone was forced to change and grow and them putting Thor with the Guardians was just brilliant.

It hasn’t been talked about it in this thread much, but Gamora being missing from all those end scenes after kicking Peter in the nuts was a small detail that didn’t escape one of the people with me. Seems likely that will be a central thing in the next Guardians film.

Anyway, comic nerds, did you ever think we’d get this sort of thing, ever, in our lifetimes?! I sure didn’t. Wow.

And @WhollySchmidt, I totally agree that them putting in Jarvis from the TV show was a huge moment because it is the only time they’ve done that. I was grinning ear to ear when he appeared on screen. I need to watch Agent Carter again.

No, I don’t think it broke any rules. The time travel rule was that they couldn’t go back and change their own personal timelines; so for example, Scott Lang couldn’t go back and get himself out of the van, because being stuck in the van was brought him there in the first place.

So Cap went through all of the events of the other movies, then after Endgame, he went back to presumably the '70s and resumed his life from there. His personal timeline remains intact.

I am 100% certain that Tony and Steve will not be back (except maybe as a flashback or a Tony Stark hologram). Their endings were too perfect to ruin them by bringing the characters back. There are plenty of other stories to tell.

They will be back, maybe not with the same actors playing them, maybe not in several years, but they’ve reached a stage where they’re too popular to keep in the bench. Eventually someone is going to want to try and roll the dice again.

Funny thing is, the same probably can be said of a bunch of other Marvel characters. Including Thanos.

No. Iron Man and Captain America are popular because of Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans. They are not going to recast them or bring those characters back, ever, unless they reboot the entire MCU. And they have way, way too many other stories to tell within this universe for them to do that anytime soon.

I don’t get this idea of “Besides all the characters who died, no one died!” How many deaths are enough before it feels like there are stakes to the story? After all the other deaths, I am fine with the heroes being victorious at some point. You don’t have to keep killing off characters every five minutes just to remind the audience that people could die. This isn’t Firefly.

Well. I did not expect Thor to be the character that finally brought my struggle to the screen, but here we are.

The Asgardians were there because Thanos only killed half of the group, as always. That’s stated in the first scene in Infinity War.

How can you say that when they expressly recast the Falcon as the new Captain America in this very movie? And since that also occurred in the comics, it’s almost certainly going to be further depicted in future movies.

It doesn’t bother me much, but I get what @krayzkrok is saying. We have two deaths in Endgame, but neither of them were characters dying because they lost in battle. They were both sacrifices. No one in Endgame is actually fatally struck down in a fight.

Infinity War is sort of the answer to that though, because Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, and Vision are all actually killed directly by Thanos.

To be pedantic, Andy means no actor will be recast as the character Steve Rogers. The character Sam Wilson stepping into the role of Captain America is a narrative thing and not quite what I think he means.

Yes, exactly. “Recasting” means bringing in different actors to play the same characters. After Edward Norton played Bruce Banner, they recast Mark Ruffalo as the same character. Steve Rogers passing the torch to Sam Wilson to be the new Captain America is something totally different. They are not going to bring in a new actor to play Steve Rogers or Tony Stark. Those characters’ stories have concluded.

Saw it this evening. Not a fantastic movie, on it’s own, but what a fantastic movie moment. They faced an immense challenge bringing so many movies and so many years of work together, and they stuck the landing. What a fantastic send-off to so many fantastic characters.

I can’t see them bringing back either Cap or Iron Man with those actors (or actors supposed to be them). What makes the MCU work, is that they’ve learned to give their characters an arc, and move on (very much unlike - ironically - superhero comics). It works because - despite the complaints about there not being stakes, there are stakes - events have consequences. And I actually think they resolved infinity war in as close to a perfect way as was possible - the past was not erased - the lost were simply brought back. That’s going to leave a hell of a scar, and many great story opportunities for future movies.

More than it simply being a stupid move creatively, I don’t see that the MCU has any need at all to bring back either of those characters. Sam Wilson has taken over for Cap. They have multiple candidates to take over the Iron Man mantle - both the current Warmachine (though I suspect they retire him) but also set up Monica Rambeau nicely in Captain Marvel (as a Riri Williams replacement) or they might simply bring in Ironheart directly as a new character. They have a “daughter of Ant-Man” to carry on the torch for those characters. Spider-Man can easily carry another trilogy of movies and they’ve still got the Guardians, Thor, Hulk (though I suspect he will be “retired” and mostly appear in cameos), and Black Panther to headline new stories.

And of course - lest we forget - they got back the Fantastic Four and X-Men. Even assuming that they produce 20 more movies over the next 10 years, I just don’t see where they would have space to fit in Steve Rogers or other characters who’ve already served their time on the screen again - or indeed why they would feel the need to do so. With the characters they now own, they have enough material for 10-20 more years of storylines (assuming people are not sick and tired of superheroes long before then).

Even so, you might think the role can never be played by anyone else, but I’m sure eventually someone will decide it’s time to reboot, and new actors will play them again. They’ve made too much money not to.

And if they don’t reboot, give it enough time, years and years, and they can find some comic book reason to have the characters again. Alternate versions from some other dimension. Clones. Magic even. :D

Or, maybe they manage to do what the comics haven’t been able and have the characters actually move forward, though I imagine it’ll come a time when all the history from this goes from an asset to an anchor. We’re still a long way from there I think…

I don’t get this at all. I can see how people might have issues with the logic of time travel in terms of what he did (but who’s to say he didn’t have a few words with the Sorceress Supreme when he returned the stone to her?), but I don’t agree with half of the conclusions in that piece. Like:

Is this someone who even watched the same movie as me? And as for the other half - well, the MCU (all of it) just doesn’t stand up to that level of scrutiny. As they say in Endgame - it’s space magic - and if you can’t accept a certain degree of hand-waving, the MCU just isn’t for you.

Yeah, sure - at some point, someone will want to do a reboot. But I doubt it will happen in this version of the MCU.

Where is the Steve traveled back to 1970 to be with Peggy stuff coming from? That final scene was clearly earlier: the cars driving by and parked, the music, the clothes.

Um, they clearly explained that Peggy Carter was going to a '50s-themed costume party. Oh, and she drives a really old car. Sheesh, it’s like you didn’t even watch the movie!

I was actually impressed (after the fact) with how little of the movie was given away in the trailers. I heard that the Russos told them they could only include scenes from the first 30 minutes of the movie in the trailers. They broke that a few times in the second trailer, but it was very minimal.