Aw...Edge mag is evil

If he was truly smart/evil he’d quickly dismantly he fictional presence in the games industry and rebirth himself as a trademark troll in another small subculture. Perhaps he could trademark ‘Vision’ in relation to Virtual reality applications and just lie in wait for five years.

I hope people do remember this episode more widely across gamingdom so that he doesn’t manage to convince a bunch of poor foreign freelancers to give over the rights to their creations to him so that he can abuse them as a way to pretend he is still active in games development.

So someone over at the IGDA Forum has decided to moderate the hell out of the Call for Removal of Tim Langdell thread, including deleting the OP of the thread, which is the actual call for removal!

It seems like much of the evidence against Langdell, and any link to other sites where the evidence is collected has been redacted from the thread.

The whole thing was dying down as people waited for this special meeting to be called, and now this has riled everyone up again. This was the last page when the mods went wacky, and the post from jimblackler was the last post of the thread at that time. (Sorry, but it doesn’t seem like the posts are numbered on that forum, or I can’t figure it out.)

Since then people have been resurrecting old posts from caches. Talk about bad member relations.

The someone in question is Tobi Saulnier, IGDA Co-Chair.

She ordered the IGDA Executive Director to have staff remove any post that any member has ever clicked “report” about, regardless of the merits of the complaint.

The original post in that thread was made June 5, and since then the IGDA Board has met twice. According to their own minutes, the Langdell removal hasn’t been discussed.

Now, granted, their June meeting was June 10, so it’s understandable that they wouldn’t discuss it, but the issue has kind of taken on a life, and it’s certainly the thing that seems foremost in my mind when I think, “What’s happening with the IGDA lately?” Yet they don’t even bring up the issue of having a special voting meeting or forming the “task force” to deal with it.

Apparently it’s bad form to discuss the Langdell problem in their meetings. But hey, Tim says the website is coming along fine!

What an absolute train wreck. Our IGDA has a LOT of maturing to do as an organisation. Hopefully this mess will be a wake-up call that cannot be silenced.

Unfortunately, I think this is just going to highlight how ineffectual the IGDA has been, and will more likely just discourage people from joining and/or being active members.

The call of apathy is always strongest when action is needed the most.

I would wager that most feel a desire to not act, rather than not acting due to indifference. I doubt that people dropping their memberships or not joining are symptoms of apathy toward the Langdell issue and the organization as a whole.

Sure, it’s not doing our street rep any wonders. Let’s see what happens with the special meeting and whether taking part in it will be enough.

IGDA recently sent out e-mails about the forum message deletions and the impending special meeting. It will be interesting to see what the meeting process will be.

The meeting details were announced (bolding mine).

To the IGDA members here: Let’s all vote when the ballot e-mail arrives in September so we can finally lay this matter to rest. Let’s show everyone we can together decide on a complex and difficult matter in a timely manner like the intelligent and mature professionals we are!

I will be very pleasantly surprised if this vote meets the Quorum.

The IGDA historically has struggled to get to the 20% Quorum for elections.

Let’s hope the SHIT, BONERZ!!! option helps with meeting the quorum. (Five bangs used for historical accuracy.)

Tim Langdell has resigned from the IGDA board of directors.
http://www.igda.org
http://www.igda.org/newsroom/Tim%20Resigns.pdf

Cue the choir.

He probably just got a trademark on the phrase “Tim Langdell has resigned from the IGDA board of directors” so now he’s watching the money roll in.

:sniff:

I wonder if this isn’t a worse outcome for the IGDA itself. If it had actually gone to a vote, and gotten a quorum, there’d at least be a sense that the IGDA had solved its own problem, that it’d cleaned itself up. This way, there might not be as much of a sense of accomplishment. Basically, I wonder if removing Langdell would’ve gotten people more interested in the IGDA.

Of course, this is how things were going to resolve regardless. There’s no way Langdell would’ve stuck around long enough to actually be voted out. In a couple years, when this has mostly blown over, “Resigned from IGDA” sounds better than “Forcibly removed from IGDA by special election”

Can’t they still remove him as a member completely through this vote?

I think the petition or request or motion or whatever is the legal term was just to remove him from the Board.