Axes And Acres

I thought that was covered in the beginning of the tutorial. Similar to moving, you activate the worker by selecting one of your unused die and then clicking on the worker. Stick with it lordkosc, it’s a good game!

Yeah I played the 1st part of the tutorial a few days ago. Now I got to the 2nd part and I forgot what I learned before, and it doesn’t have any options for playing the earlier tutorials. :p

If you have the time, their YouTube tutorials are helpful. They gave me a much better idea of what I should be doing over the in game one.

Ahem.

-Tom

Thanks Tom , gonna give that a watch this week.

In other news, this happened yesterday, and it took many questions and googling to achieve it:

Thankfully the vast majority of the UI issues Tom calls out in that video are fixed now - most importantly saving mid-game is possible. They’ve even done some work on the tutorials, not that it appears to have helped all that much. :)

I agree that the crusade icon is a bit strange. It’s the symbol for a mage in BrainGoodGames’ previous offering, Militia. No idea why they reused it instead of going for a sword and shield or something.

It’s a shame the game is relatively inaccessible, because it’s a gem underneath. I guess the company is doing well enough though, they seem to be putting out lots of games. I’m very grateful for this as there’s not enough proper slow-paced thinky strategy about, especially where the challenge is appropriate for all levels of play.

I’m addicted. Still hovering around level 20.

One thing I learned, and I don’t know how I didn’t know this, is that when you gain movement points, either from a die, or a card, or putting a cross die into a guardhouse, or whatever… you keep those movement points for the rest of the turn. For the longest time I thought you had to use them all before you did anything else. But you don’t! You could, for example, use a die to get 6 moves from a card, use your last food to place a gatherer, move him, have him pick up some food, play another die, move that die into the guardhouse, turn him into a crusader, then move the crusader somewhere to take out a barbarian or spawner. Efficient!

Another thing that is maybe obvious, but having a lot of dice is very good. It’s especially nice when you get points for doing it in the 1st or 2nd round. Of course it takes 4 dice and 2 food to add a die, so it’s an investment; but if you manage to get into round 3 with 12+ dice, you’re probably gonna win in a walk. Castles FTW.

Bouncing around between levels 24 and 27 at the moment. Now tend to lose on the second phase more than the first. Still generally have a few turns to spare at the end of the third phase when I get there.

Things I’ve recently discovered:
I should not play this game when even slightly tired or all the fine margins work against me. :)
The first phase difficulty caps out: you never need more than 18VP from 12 rounds (though they might add more spawners, I guess). Once you can get there fairly reliably, the game briefly gets a little easier. I suspect the second phase will also cap out eventually.
A guardtower seems to be pretty much mandatory at higher levels. I just can’t get a church-based defence working early on without setting my economy too far back.
The VP side on the Royalty die gives you 1VP per 5 buildings (including roads) you own.
Castles FTW.

I haven’t been playing that much lately, but I’ve been bouncing around between level 23-25. In the first round I’ll increase my dice if I either get VPs for them or I get two of the necessary dice early in the round. Having more dice definitely helps.

I’ve never gotten the royalty die, but it sounds like it could be very helpful. I agree that the guard tower becomes necessary in the first round, it’s only a matter of when. I like it when I can get it early enough to kill some spawners for the VP, even if there is no victory condition for them.

Or, you know, TWO castles FTW:
http://i.imgur.com/2E32zyW.png

Getting 7 points for two masons in round 1 is like easy mode. You want a Builder’s Hall anyway; once you have two or three cards from it, you can build a castle really fast. Even in this game, where I lost both of my stone pits (even before I had a chance to build quarries on them for 5 points each!)

That’s a whole latta castle. It looks like fountains would have given you more VP bang for your buck with the normal 3 VP + the 2 VP for your build goal. I’ve come to rely on fountains more.

Yeah, but… two castles! And I was three rounds early anyway.

I know, that is pretty cool!

Hey, they added a stats screen!
http://i.imgur.com/N5Dz0sl.png

Hit level 29 (briefly) yesterday, after I managed to finish about 6 rounds early (castle by the middle of phase 2 FTW).

I am wondering if I have been devoting too much time to roads early on. I have recently had success using the move card in turn 1 or 2 to build a house at the far end of the river near to some resources. Depending on map layout and objectives, of course.

I don’t use roads much. My lumberyard is usually right next to a house. I will use roads sometimes to connect to a quarry. I’ve been better about trying to put houses down to minimize travel. But, what do I know, I’m 4 levels behind you :-)

Level 28! 15th on the “current top players” global leaderboard…

I got the “build 20 castles” achievement and the “win 50 games” achievement. The only problem is that at some point the game devolves into “build a castle, throw builder and reproduce dice into it as fast as possible, don’t run out of food” which can get a bit repetitive. But I really want to see if I can get into the top 10, so I will probably keep playing for a while longer.

Nice job Josh!

Yeah, that’s been my target for a while. Afraid I’ve just made it one level harder for you. :)

Curse you! I mean, congrats!