Axes And Acres

Rather than derail the indie game thread I thought this would be a good one just to discuss tips and undocumented features.

1. Barbarians destroy houses they come in contact with? That’s pretty important and should have been in the tutorial somewhere. With that in mind…

2. With no houses left on the board and no builders there either, is the player just screwed? If there’s no way to deploy dice, the game should just give you a “You lose, Dummy” message and restart.

3. In order to reproduce, do crosses have to be activated during the same turn in which they’re placed? In my last game I kept getting a message saying I didn’t have enough resources every time I tried to activate the guys sitting in a house. The only reason I can think of is that I placed them the previous turn. Unless it’s a bug.

Sometimes the pre-coffee mornings as the best. When I woke up, I read the title as “Axis and Acres” and was thinking it was some WW2 and farming game mash-up. I’m so disappointed now. :(

This looks cool! Their game Militia looks interesting as well, but I rarely enjoy single-player games with no randomness, so probably not up my alley. You started with negatives tgb. Are you liking the game at all?

I haven’t played it, but I watched a video where, in order to reproduce, you had to place two repro dice in the house, then use two dice to activate them; that sent all four dice (plus the new one) in to the “used” pile. It wasn’t clear from the video if you had to activate them the same turn you deploy them, but it took four dice total.

Oh, and also it said you can only have 4 dice per house, so maybe you had hit that limit?

I am, quite a bit. It’s delightful and addictive, and as I posted, has more depth than you would think. I’ve contacted the developer about making it possible to save a game in the middle, and he said he’d try to get it into 1.01.

Lack of saves is my only beef with it.

I popped in here to post pretty much the same thing. I’m on my second cup of coffee so I don’t know what my excuse is.

So… what’s the game about? What platforms? Genre?

Sorry about that. I didn’t consider that someone might stop in here without having read about the game in the indie games thread.

Anyway it’s a turn-based board game city builder with barbarians. You roll dice to determine what kind of labor you have each turn - builders, workers, gatherers, etc. and use a hand of 3 cards to buff them or build structures where they can be upgraded. Every game is played out over 3 stages on a random map and awards victory points for doing different things. You win by accumulating x VP’s in y turns.

It’s all very stylized, and pretty much like nothing you’ve ever played before. http://www.braingoodgames.com/

Why do you need any of that, I bought it if tgb’s recommendation alone. I tend to like the same kind of games he does, so I went to the Steam page and it looked cool.

Edit: that wasn’t suppose to sound as kiss-assy as it does. Just saying I trust him.

Nice video, Tom. I think the developers may be too close to the game, which is why the in-game tutorial is confusing to some people.

One point you didn’t mention, because you probably haven’t stumbled into it yet(like I just did)-if you happen to meet one of the VP criteria for a later stage while playing an earlier one, you get the points immediately when the stage changes. In my last game in the first stage I had to build 2 houses, and in the second i had to have 4. Because I already started with two, I got credited twice.

I’m not sure how I feel about that. It felt a little bit like an exploit, although I appreciated the 5VP for essentially doing nothing.

And I almost forgot - 1.01 WITH SAVING is promised for Monday or Tuesday

Watching Tom’s video, which is much better than the official one…but I think I am going to wait on this game until you can save.

Unless I’m misundersanding you, that should be working as intended. Remember, each phase as a build, have, and do component. You can essentially queue up the have victory points for a “have” VPs in advance, but the “build” and “do” only work in their respective phases.

So in your case, if your “build” objective in the first stage is for houses, and then your “have” objective in the second stages is for a certain number of houses, you just got lucky with the randomized objectives. Houses will then let you “double dip” by getting victory points twice for the same thing: once is the first phase for building them and again in the second phase for having them.

-Tom

You didn’t misunderstand. I’m not saying I think it’s a bug, I just think “double dipping” might be a little overpowered.

According to a post on Steam, the patch that includes saving will be officially out Monday or Tuesday, but if you can’t wait and want access to the beta of the patch, email [email protected]

Here’s Tom’s video if you are interested, but can’t work up the gumption to look for it yourself.

The lack of a mid-round save Tom was bitching about in the video is fixed. The quit button has been replaced with a more reasonable save button.

To answer tgb123s questions from a few months ago:

1. Yes. Along with everything else.

2. I’m not sure, I never let that happen. It is possible to continue and even win if you’re reduced to 1 house.

3. No. They can hang out and wait for a partner as long as you want. Did you have 2 unspent dice available to activate them? You need one for each.

I’m glad this thread got bumped (thanks CaseyRobinson). I just grabbed this, and have been pleased so far.

The game is on sale for 25%. I scrolled down to the reviews section and was greeting by this video! I don’t know if Tom’s review is at the top because he’s on my friend’s list or because it’s the most helpful review.

@tomchick : Have you played any of BrainGoodGame’s other games?

This game is great! It’s been updated with some new rules and interface changes and so I’ve been trying it again… Anyone here managed to get onto the high score list?

I just went back to it as well for the same reason. Still haven’t made it past level 8.