Baba Is You: Making Sokoban interesting since 2019

The former by a LARGE margin. There are places where making a mistake will force you to restart, but restarting is quick and reproducing the steps you already did tends to be quick and easy. The hard part is figuring out what to do (and more often than not it requires “thinking outside the box”), not executing it.

This really sounds like Stephen’s sausage roll’s sequel then!
I loved (really, loved) that game so much. Has Baba got a nice, discreet and evocative soundtrack too?

Eh? I thought he was saying it wasn’t all about plotting your movement out in advance.

I feel pretty confident that if you liked SSR, you’ll love Baba Is You. The soundtrack is… not-exactly-retro?

Thanks, totally my thing.

So, wait. My understanding had always been that Steven’s Sausage Roll was 100% a movement puzzle, which is the absolute last thing I’d want Baba to be.

To me it is 0% one. I also think labelling it as a puzzle game is the problem, as that name is weighted by innumerable games that actually require very little thinking. To me, Stephen is so unique it is in a genre of its own, one that Baba seems to fit, partly at least, into as well. I am anxious to play it, some day!

If it is any comfort: I was stuck for nearly half an hour on the very first level of the game I keep mentionning in this thread not dedicated to it!

I don’t understand. Isn’t the entire game in Stephen’s Sausage Roll about planning a series of moves that cooks all the sausages?

Just quit out, wait a while or sleep on it, then when you come back, you’ll solve it first try. That’s how this stuff always works. Our brains solve things for us while we’re off dicking around with other things.

Nope!
If I had to describe it, it’s about learning a new language, then spotting the exceptions to figure how to articulate it.
Oh my, it’s a teaching game :O

I feel like we must be speaking different languages or like I’ve gone crazy. I’ve watched Let’s Plays of the game - everything I’ve seen falls firmly into what I’d call “movement puzzles.” Move sausage, then move block over sausage, then roll both, then move block off sausage so you can climb down etc. I’m not knocking it, but that kind of “preplanned movement puzzle” really isn’t my thing, personally.

I guess whatever you want to call it, if Baba is You is like that I’m not interested. That said, having looked at some gameplay for Baba is You it doesn’t look anything like that to me. That said, some of the reviews seem to indicate that it is, hence my concern.

That was my impression of it as well, but I bounced off it hard after about three hours of play.

Isn’t every book just reading one word after another? Isn’t every painting just colors arranged on a canvas?? My God, man, rolling sausage is pure poetry.

Well my weird allegory seems to fit: if you watch a video without learning to speak the language, it is difficult to understand it. It’s worth learning, though.

I really need someone to explain SSR to me. It feels like I’m missing something big that just didn’t come through in the first couple hours of play.

EDIT: and I mean that earnestly. Had I quit The Witness just a few hours in, my opinion would have been dramatically different. Is that maybe the case with SSR?

Well, I gave it 8 hours and earned 47 sausages before I got scared off by the Great Tower…

But I thought the magic was apparent in the first 15-30 minutes.

Baba seems to offer a lot more variety what with the words and all. It’s not just sausages all the time.

@vinraith - for what it’s worth I’m totally in your boat. I love puzzle games, but hate movement-based puzzles (especially Sokoban type ones). As much as people on this thread are saying it’s art and another language etc, I have to say that I got SSR and hated it. Played for a couple hours and it’s really clever but it is exactly the type of puzzle I hate. YMMV.

I haven’t played BIY and I’m avoiding it. If you get it let me know if you like it.

It’s like saying one hates reading because he disliked learning the alphabets! I hope you guys get past the tutorial some day.
Man, that allegory is terrific, I just can’t let it go!

I can say that as someone you’re addressing, it’s condescending as all hell. But I appreciate your enthusiasm for the game anyways.

For me it’s more like saying I don’t like tomatoes, and you’re telling me that I’m missing that the tomatoes in this dish are sublime representations of the chef’s dissatisfaction with the current culinary society’s obsession with new flavors and so I should find them delicious.

Edit: If I sound like a jerk at all right now please know that I’m not trying to. I’m just tired at the moment :D