Back home from the hospital

Yea baby! Nice!

Damn, 40+ lbs. I did 20 and was super proud =)

I’m late to the thread, but you are doing awesome John! I mean, I’m sorry that you had the initial problem but like others said it gave you a warning sign that action was needed and damn did you take action! The changes you made are so amazing, along with your progress.

We all probably already know this, and some was mentioned upthread, but restaurants in general serve foods with a crazy amount of sodium. I started watching my consumption more closely as I’ve had some high blood pressure readings and it does seem to go up with sodium intake. I went to Olive Garden the other night and had 2 breadsticks (920 mg), a bowl of chicken gnocci (1290 mg) soup and half of a chicken scampi entree (995 mg - for a total of 3205 mg of sodium). I knew it was bad, but I didn’t think it was that bad. I didn’t even eat the entire entree!

In any case John, keep up the great work and I hope your situation and great example helps other Qt3 people make choices that improve their life. I know sometimes I felt immortal and figured I’d make changes ‘some day’, but we don’t know when ‘some day’ will be too late. Again - great job John, you must be so proud.

Real close to 50 lbs now. Celebrated with massive amounts of pizza and ice cream for my cheat meal, and I’ve been suffering for it ever since. Man, once your body adjusts to eating sensibly, these blowouts kinda hurt. But they’re also great psychological reminders of how bad you feel when you don’t take care of yourself, which motivates me to be good throughout the week. And maybe take it a little easier during next Sat night’s cheat meal.

One thing I like to do sometimes. When you are going to have something like pizza. Eat something else more in line with your normal first, so you aren’t ravenously hungry.

Had a healthy breakfast and then a power bar before that Roman orgy of a feast.

Also did a mile on my elliptical and then lifted free weights for about 30 minutes, then a few hours later took a 2-mile walk with the wife since it’s finally warming up outside here in SW Ohio prior to gorging myself. I forgot to mention the large bag of chips the son and I shared while waiting on the pizza to be made. :)

I meant more like have a sensible dinner before the cheat meal, lol.

That’s awesome that you are able to exercise that much now. I am going to yoga three days a week (you’d be amazed how many calories you burn doing moderate activity in a 90-degree room). I also am doing some resistance work/strength training stuff minus the free weights. I round that out with cardio on a recumbent stepping machine (love this thing because it is very low stress on knees. Hips too).

Anyone else ever pop a nitroglycerin pill? I took one tonight after work, came home having chest pain and my wife talked me into one. For about an hour I felt like my head was going to pop.

Yes. In the ER during my heart attack. My heart stopped, and I lost consciousness immediately after taking it. “Dead” for three minutes. Had to shock me twice to get me back.

You might want to see a doctor about that.
I ignored my chest pain until it was nearly fatal.
It might be nothing, but I recommend not ignoring chest pain.

Yep go get a check up and take a stress test.

Anyone over 40 should get a yearly wellness checkup. :)

I was poked, prodded, stabbed, and tested quite thoroughly three months ago. Today was just stress from work, my mgmt is amazingly incompetent, I could write a book about it. I’m taking the rest of the week off, one advantage of being a silly servant is loads of paid leave.

Nitro is a vasodilator, meaning it relaxes and opens up blood vessels. Opening vessels in your heart increases the blood flow to starved areas of cardiac tissue, relieving pain and discomfort. Opening blood vessels in your brain gives you headaches. Working as intended.

I know, I’m also on Imdur, which is a vasodilator too. Between the two I felt like the top of my head was going to explode.

I missed this thread somehow. Glad to see you are doing well John.

I had an angioplasty on 2017. I thought I had bad back and neck, and was unfit but the clue was pain in throat/neck when running for train and luckily this was recognised when I went to docs on second visit. I do have a bad back and neck too btw and have to be careful to recognise symptoms.

My RCA was blocked 99% and LAD 75%ish. 3 stents put in. I went from 14 to 12 stone and have hovered around that since. Big diet and lifestyle change and I need to lose a few more stone. (see my post about vegetarian options in food argument thread for that)

Had a cardiac MRI last year and stress test which wasn’t too nice. Luckily I’m not claustrophobic but being inside the MRI and having stress drug but pushed me to the limit. Anyway, it was an all clear. Saw my cardiologist last week and he’s moved me to annual checkups.

Never had chest pain or chest agina my only symptoms was the neck agina, a throbbing pain in my jugular after exertion and a pounding headache afterwards so a warning for all there. Only had a few times. My other symptoms were more subtle. I had put in loads of weight (from food blogging) and thought the low levels of fitness, tiredness when walking, breathlessness were just being unfit and fat.

Other things of note. Dad had triple bypass in his late 40s probably about time mine started. He’s since had 14ish angiograms and plastys and another triple bypass.
My bro is in his mid 40s and had high cholesterol and triglyceride, had cat scan and he’s 20% blockages in a few arteries too. If you have family history even if you are super fit and active don’t take it for granted.

I’m back in hospital next week though. My arse is broken and I need fistula surgery. It’s a result of something 3 years ago that nearly killed me, a massive abcess and infection and despite 2 months post-op of exposing my arsehole to nurses and having a big hole right next to it packed daily as it healed its left a tiny track/fistula that’s now infected, not so tiny, and leaking pus and blood. Nice eh. Oh, one thing it did do is remove and sense of embarrassment or shame, lol.

Holy fuck. And I was thinking I was awesome for dealing with a bit of barf. Your ass-doctor deserves a medal of fucking honor lol!

You are at 12 stone and need to lose a few? Just how tall are you?

Average height

For a SE Asian.

In yank terms somewhere between dwarf and hobbit.

Lol23

During my last physical my GP heard something unusual, which led to a cardiac doctor visit which led to a stress test which led to an angiogram last week. A couple near blockages but not bad enough for a stent. I see the doctor again next week to discuss what happens next. I have had no chest pain, except for when I sneeze, then it feels like I have a pulled muscle or something. Then it goes away. But I am now, for the first time in my life, on three different drugs.

My weight now starts with the numeral of 2 as of yesterday’s weigh-in. I’m home from work and haven’t weighed myself in a few weeks and decided to see what the results would be. I was 350+ in mid-Dec when I went into the hospital. Another 75-80 lbs and I’ll be very happy, though that goal will likely take until next spring or summer. But that’s OK, this approach I’m using is very do-able, it’s a lifestyle I can maintain without feeling stressed from it as a result of feeling denial. I wouldn’t be able to do it without the cheat meals on Sat night though, I literally count the days down each week as it gets closer and the wife and kids and I talk about what sounds good each week.

My wife has been buying Cold Stone gift cards at Costco, I think she says she gets $100 worth for $65 or so. Then we show up and she always has buy 1 get one 1 coupons, so that $65 spent goes quite a long ways. I’ve been feeding my chocolate cravings with medium Oreo Overloads, substituting the chocolate chips (I’m a texture person) with lots of caramel drizzled over it. Soooo good.