Back to backlogs

The only game here I would make a case to complete would probably be DOS:2. Once you get into about level 16 or so, the combat is complicated and difficult, but overall very rewarding. That being said, I did feel when it was all said and done that the game could’ve been about 20 hours shorter. You end the game at around level 22, if that helps gauge how far you are in…

Those are all big, sprawling games, I can see how you could reach a tipping point on all fronts and feel a pang of anxiety. In the past I’ve tried playing a few of these concurrently, but I eventually found that my focus wasn’t there and I was just grinding through rather than enjoying them (and sometimes, counterintuitively, hoping they would just “end” already).

These days I tend to keep one main course running along with several casual side dishes (TDs, time management, puzzles, etc). This arrangement seems to be working better for me. It’s not just a matter of available time-- my attention and ability to stay engaged are increasingly becoming a factor.

Same here. More than one big game at a time would be beyond me. I can use a shooter as a palette cleanser between rpg chapters or something though.

That’s the best strategy, I think. I can’t imagine trying to play, say, RDR2 and AC: Odyssey concurrently. I played RDR2 to death, forsaking all others, till I was done with it (it was not a perfect game but I loved it, and it had a better story than RDR1 but the earlier title was maybe a better game in some respects).

I agree with what was said. I didn’t intend to have all these going at once. I think the first was Divinity OS2, and when I got tired of it I picked up one of the others. Rinse and repeat. I should have just mixed in others that I could pick up for a little while and put them down, like a 4X, or a shooter. I’ve been drawn to Sky Force Reloaded because of the bite sized chuncks, and ironically I sometimes play that for hours :-)

Like many, thanks to Humble and hardware bundles I have a huge backlog. I’m going to make an effort to at least get some value out of it by actually playing.

Understanding subjectivity and the variety of the games, which do you think is most worth of time? Appreciate any and all input as below is years worth of gaming.

• Far Cry 5
  • Destiny 2
  • Black Ops 4
  • The Division
  • Assassins Creed Origins
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Battlefield 5

AC: Origins: Good, but too long. I would choose Odyssey over Origins because the game play is very similar, but Odyssey is a bit better. Both have likeable main characters. Voice acting for leads is good, side characters can be much less so.

Sniper 4: I’d play until you decide you’ve had enough. Nice looking game and sniping is pretty fun. Depending on how you play, there can be a lot of sneaking around too. I made it about halfway before I started getting tired of it. You won’t miss the story if you quit early.

Far Cry 5: I just started playing this. Cleared the starting area and just reached a main objective for one of the next ones. It sure is nice looking. The pieces of story have been decent so far too. I have to say the game play isn’t really gripping me. The enemy AI seems pretty dumb. I’ve always found the series fairly mediocre, so if you are a bigger fan of it you may find it more appealing.

I’ll help you cull. Destiny 2’s campaign is fairly short. But I didn’t think it was worth my time because it was really easy. They add the ability to replay any of the missions so that they’re more challenging once you finish the campaign, but then, what’s the point? Why didn’t they allow that from the beginning like in the original Destiny? Anyway, that’s just my own hangup. Some here at Qt3 did enjoy the campaign just fine and thought it was plenty challenging. At least it’s short, so you don’t have to make it a month-long commitment like some of the other games on the list.

I’ve only tried Black Ops 4’s Blackout mode, and I didn’t get a single kill in it after many many rounds. But it is interesting to try. Sort of a horror game like playing on Asheron’s Call’s PvP server.

All different mini-genres really. What are you in the mood for? Apart from The Division they’re all sequels - have you played any of the earlier ones?

• Assassins Creed Origins
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Far Cry 5

This would be the order I’d play them in.

Everyone keeps saying Odyssey is a better game than Origins, and I will continue to disagree. I am 30 hours into Odyssey and I have yet to have the omg how awesome is this pyramid feeling that Origins gave me. :)

EGYPT > GREECE

I’m only about a dozen hours into AC: Origins but I’m digging it so far. Fun to see the conspiracy take shape.

Thanks @robc04 @Rock8man @lordkosc and @Alistair . I have space on my drive drive so I installed AC Origins, Destiny 2, Sniper Elite and Black Ops 4.

I’ll start with Destiny. If it grabs me, great. It’s short and I can check that off the list. I’ll insert a couple rounds of Black Ops 4 just to see what the rage is. From there move to Sniper Elite. I like sniping. I’m banking on AC Origins grabbing me and being super long, so that would be last.

I’m surprised though. No love for The Division? It seems to be such a party in the Division 2 thread, but I don’t want to invest since I have and never played the first.

People do like the first Division too. It’s just been replaced in the popular mind by its successful sequel. I’ve heard people say you should choose based on setting, not that the second is much better than the first.

I think @divedivedive needs to be summoned to advocate for The Division. Though he might say crazy stuff like it gets good after level 50, which only takes 30 hours to get to.

Are we talking the first one? Because I will advocate for that game all day. Second one, well, I ran out of steam somewhere around level 19. But I’ll get back to it! … someday.

I finished Subnautica and Kingdom Come so that’s the core ‘backlog’ gone again. I do have Lone Echo to try in VR. With the dawning of the subscription age, I do wonder if I’ll ever buy another game. Maybe I’m done with that, after 35 years.

I wonder if an Oculus subscription announcement is incoming.

Well at least I am making some progress in Odyssey. I have to go to he Olypics or something next for a quest. I feel like I’ve been playing it forever, so I must be half way by now.
Also still playing RDR2 on the PS4, sadly nearing the end of chapter 6.

@Alistair did you enjoy Subnautica, I felt it was a really well paced game.

Pluses and minuses. The whole environment was great but I never really understood how I was supposed to find stuff, and that later lava section was a lot less interesting.

Yeah, eventually I stopped playing Subnautica because I kept forgetting where I built stuff. For example, I built several air tubes that went from the surface down, but if I went a week without playing, I’d swim around and was just unable to find certain ones that I’d been exploring. So I finally quit. I just don’t have a good enough memory to play that game.

Meanwhile, I got a heavy dose of Wolfenstein II this weekend, and actually finished off two sections of New Orleans. The game continues to be excellent. I’m really glad I got that one at launch. It’s been totally worth it. Such a long and great game.

Beacons, beacons, beacons.