Back to WoW

The barrens can be kinda cool if you already know where you’re going…

The Barrens is probably one of my favorite zones in the game, however, the beginning areas for the Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren all suck. Badly. Anything on the Alliance side is bound to creep me out slightly more because I tend to hear the word “toon” too much when I play Alliance. On the other hand, listening to people RP in the general chat channel on Horde is also painful. That’s what I get for being dragged onto an RP server. People run around with crappy names all the time, and they made me change my Tauren’s name from Dasboots. What’s up with that?

Erik J.

Really? What server? Because on the RP server I was playing on during the winter, there were all sorts of asshats running around with really offensive names that got petitioned by lots of folks and yet would still be around days and weeks later with the same name. Unless Dasboots means something I don’t know of, I can’t imagine that being the sort of name that violates an RP server’s naming conventions… unless it’s a copyright thing since Das Boot is a movie title…

Yeah. Leveling in the Barrens is insanely fast if you’ve already done it a couple of times.

Maybe it has to do with copyrights, but I doubt it. That seems kind of silly, but who knows. I just picked the name because A) I’m German and B) My cat’s name is Boots. So in my mind, a big tauren warrior with a badass two handed sword named Dasboots was hilarious. I’m on Earthen Ring.

Erik J.

Yep. The quests in the Barrens are ridiculously compacted and overlapping. You can shoot through to the low/mid 20’s in no time flat going through the Barrens. Especially insane if you have a friend you play with. All the quests, at most, need two people. Except that crazy one where you have to defend against a Kolkar invasion.

Erik J.

The kolkar invasion was one of my favorites, since I perfer the horde when I was playing, I must have went thru the barrens 4 times. I stopped playing around the STV area, game just didn’t become fun for me anymore.

Dasboots is almost certainly trademarked. Can’t use trademarked names on any server.

Lorini

I don’t know. They felt a little barren to me.

Hey, so does Qt3 have a PvE horde guild anywhere? One with people actually playing? I’m itching to start a horde character again, but I can’t stand playing without people who are at least moderately competent.

So how is Wow turning out with recent patches? I stopped playing around last summer. I heard they changed Hunters since then.

Crap, I just noticed that the expansion is going to cost 40$ . Is it me or is that a bit too much for an expansion, for a pay to play game no less.

True, but in the 2 years it will be by the time the expansion arrives, EQ1/2 would have put out 4 expansions of crap at $20-30 each.

Depends on what you get with it, I guess. So far I’m not sure – the new races, which is where most of the brouhaha has been, are not that interesting to me. They don’t add a lot in and of themselves, and the only part of them that interests me is seeing what they do with the new starting areas, which is maybe a couple days of play each. The 60-70 content is sort of vague at this point, but if those 10 levels are as interesting and fun as 50-60 were, that’s pretty good. And I’m looking forward to the Cavern of Time stuff and seeing how it will work. The new tradeskill could also be interesting to fool around with. In the sense of “Do I think it’s fair?” I’m really on the fence about the price and will wait to see how extensive and different the content is. But in the sense of “Will I pay it?” the answer is unquestionably “Yes.” I got way, way more than my money’s worth out of WoW so far, and if I end up “overpaying” $10 or $15 for the expansion, I am still going to feel like I’ve come out way ahead on the whole deal.

They’ve plenty of classes a talent review since then. Lots of things have been refined, tweaked, changed, updated, or added on to since last summer. It’s still the same game, but if you were frustrated by something like “this talent tree is useless” or “there’s nothing left to do once I beat Molten Core” or whatever, you’d be happy with the changes. Some minor but welcome UI changes, too.

Not that I know of. I play Horde on Silvermoon, which is a pretty high population server but just at the right level - queues only on busy weekend times, and then it’s only about 5 minutes long. No population-related major lag issues. Healthy economy. Etc etc.

I can’t wait for the paid character transfers. Hopefully they’ll be priced right and we can all finally agree on a single PvE server for Horde and Alliance and have a QT3 guild on each side on one nice server.

Yeah, it’s the 60-70 areas that are going to do it for me. But I’m pretty physched about jewlery crafting and socketed items. And I like how all the new areas for 60-70 are supposed to be designed with “world PvP objectives” in them, set up so they don’t really get in the way of questing people, but encourage the sort of freeform large-scale world PvP battles that games like DOAC have. Or something.

Oh, and flying mounts. Awesome.

I like playing on PvE because I hate the gank-fest of PvP servers, and I like the directed-objective PvP combat of battlegrounds. But BGs are getting a little stale, and there’s something fun about those days of big battles between Southshore and Tarren Mill when they first implented the honor system.

Is that going to include a month’s play? I know, that’s only worth about ten dollars or so, but it would sweeten the deal slightly.

Charles, you can always come back to Sargeras. My catassing guild is very closely tied to a casual guild with lots of sub 60s and everyone’s alts. I want to level up an Alchemist anyway so I can make my own pots instead of getting gouged on prices at the AH. Also, if you’re at all curious we still run MC regularly for the new 60s, alts and for the few people who don’t have their T2 pants off Rag yet and you’d have no trouble getting into a run or two once you hit 60, as long as you don’t make a Warrior.

The Barrens is probably one of my favorite zones in the game,

Agreed. It’s sort of an acquired taste but IMO it is one of the most visually well realized zones (along with Dun Morogh and a few others) and there is an outrageous amount of quest content there. Nothing feels like “home” to me in WoW more than seeing the crappy tower of the Crossroads off in the distance.

I’d be interested in this too.

Ok, so I ditched my paladin and went back to the Horde. As soon as I stepped into Ironforge, I wanted to stab myself in the eyes. Anyway, back to Durotar to play an orc warlock, which I haven’t done before. So far, so good. Trying to get your voidwalker solo is a bitch, though.

Erik J.