Backing up your phone's SIM card

I’ve got a dated Motorola RAZR v3, with a SIM card. The other day it occured to me how reliant I am on my phone to hold all of my important phone numbers. I really don’t have them written down or backup up anywhere else. If I were to lose my phone, or have my SIM card go kaput on me, I’d be in real trouble.

Some quick Googling shows me that Apple’s OS X can sync a RAZR over Bluetooth to iContact, or whatever its address book is called. My usually decent Google-fu has failed in finding a Windows XP software to do the equivalent.

Do any of you have any suggestions for backing up my SIM card to my PC, ideally over Bluetooth? I’m reliant on Bluetooth because apparently Rogers (my provider) has crippled the USB connection capability of the RAZR. I’m amenable to hacking it if it’s the only solution, but I’d love to hear what other people do to keep their phone numbers safely backed-up.

SIM Card? In a RAZR? Are you sure? I didn’t think there was a GSM version of the RAZR.

That being said, Motorola has a nice app called Motorola Phone Tools for the RAZR. You can use it to download all the info from your phone to your PC. I’m surprised you don’t already have it, that app is what makes a RAZR worth owning. It’s how I upload custom MP3 ringtones, bring my pictures off of it to my PC, etc.

You may of course need to flash the firmware of your RAZR to use this if you have a version with crippled USB functionality. There are sites that will help you with that black art. I’ve never tried it myself, but it seemed quite straightforward when I looked into it last.

Definitely. It’s definitely a GSM RAZR, and it’s my understanding that the GSM RAZR came first, so I find it weird that you didn’t know it exists.

I’ve seen that Phone Tools thing mentioned elsewhere, and I’ve never tried it because I expect it won’t work unless I mess with my firmware. Which I guess I’ll have to poke into. I’ve never had to, because I’ve been able to use Bluetooth to get photos and MP3 ringers to/from the phone, apparently Rogers didn’t lock that up.

I just fired up my copy of Motorola Phone Tools and it does reference connecting your phone via “Bluetooth, IR, or cable” so maybe it will work without mucking with the firmware. But, just on general principles, fuck your provider for crippling your phone. That bugs the hell out of me.

I’m pretty sure I saw a toy on Thinkgeek that does exactly that, with any SIM card.

I don’t have one, but do a search on eBay for “gsm sim usb”, I think that will solve your problem.

One problem - MOST phones in the last 3 or 4 years default to storing the contact information in the phone’s memory, not on the SIM card. I know, stupid, because that’s what the SIM card was designed for, but yea. A lot of phone manufacturers wanted to include more verbose information in the contact lists, so they resorted to using phone memory and a non-standard contact format.

Your bluetooth option is the best one. Walter’s Motorola Phone Tools should be able to do what you need to do.