Baldurs Gate 3?

I have recently played both BG1EE and BG2EE. A few times, in fact.

BG1EE is a bit rough by modern standards. There are a lot of empty areas to explore. A lot of empty houses. The best weapon in the game is a +2 longsword. When they made the city of Baldur’s Gate, they first created it, then just laid a grid over it to create the zone boundaries. Which means you can zone over from one district to another and be stuck in a corner with nowhere to go except back. The main plot is decent, but I can’t remember any side quests there were good. I stopped playing two games in the same spot during a certain side quest because I couldn’t get it to trigger.

BG2EE is vastly better in every imaginable way. It still holds up, despite its crude magic system. What I mean by that is your level 30 cleric will still have level 1 Cure Light Wounds spells memorized, which are beyond useless. BioWare created many of the spells used by powerful wizards for defenses, and the spells used to defeat those defenses. For example, “Breach” is not an original D&D spell. As a result, enemy wizards and liches can be frustrating to figure out which combination of spells you need to use to defeat their defenses. And then use them again once their Contingency triggers and they re-cast them all again.

But the magic system is the only knock against BG2EE. Otherwise it’s utterly fantastic, with a fantastic plot and great side quests. I mean traipsing through the underdark slaughtering drow, mindflayers and beholders? That shit never gets old. It’s a great game and you should play it.