Baldurs Gate 3?

They call themselves illithids, but ordinary (non-illithid) folk call 'em mind flayers. It’s two names for the same thing, like “Dutch” and “Netherlander.”

They’re listed in the Monster Manual under “Mind Flayer.”

I nearly replied with the same thing, but I think he’s asking if characters in-game (not players) call them Mind Flayers. I honestly have no idea, though if I had to guess I would have thought the phrase Mind Flayer, even in-universe/in-character, to be a more common word than “Illithid” unless you grew up in the Underdark?

I think most characters I’ve ever run in a D&D setting would call 'em “yknow them like uh brain sucky guys with the noodle mouths n stuff”

I don’t run a lot of high-Int characters. . .

I would guess “mind flayer” would be more common in ordinary D&D settings (e.g. the surface in the Forgotten Realms) and “illithid” would be more common in places where they’re out in the open and a more significant part of politics and culture (e.g. the Underdark, Sigil, Spelljammer.)

No comments on this?

This suggests there’s something other than turn-based available… Which is really surprising.

I think it could also mean you can toggle turn-based mode if you are, like in this case from the screenshot, in a room full of traps (non-combat), and combat (“in combat”, as seen in the other screen at the same UI element) is just always turn-based.

I assumed they were contrasting it with “real time with pause.”

Didn’t movement in D:OS have a real-time and a turn-based mode, but then combat was always turn-based? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Movement was real-time until enemies were encountered, then it switched to turn-based. I have a feeling this game will allow you to toggle turn-based mode on even when no enemies are around, is what I think that indicator might mean.

What on earth would be the point of that? I can’t imagine anyone who would want to be in, say, a city moving their party around thirty feet at a time.

Why in the world would you want to?

Imagine your party of… let’s say, four characters, walks into a room and your rogue detects pressure plates all around. He or she can’t disable them (lack of skill, maybe) so but since they have been spotted, you can walk around. Maybe this is how you carefully navigate something like that.

BG solved that twenty years ago; once a trap is detected your characters will never path over it unless you specifically tell them to do so.

That’s fair, I’m only speculating, I don’t have any actual answers.

The thing is, there don’t seem to be any enemies in that particular screenshot.

… lot of traps though…

I was mostly just being flippant. I’m sure there’s, like, one DnD group out there who adheres strictly to 6-second rounds and accurate distance-tracking at all times and loves it. I don’t see any harm in the feature.

This game looks great, by the way!

Shrug, leaked alpha screenshot, who knows what’s really going on there?

In the old infinity engine games traps were triggered by areas on the ground. When your rogue detected them they were outlined in red, and then your characters wouldn’t path over the highlighted areas.

Well, I mean all we have is speculating and making guesses for now, so that’s all I’m doing. If I’m wrong, I apologize in advance?

In the spirit of kindly benevolence for which I am widely known, I accept your apology.

I’ve stopped being surprised when stusser gonna stusser.

You guys see BG. I see NWN in those screenshots, and that is a good thing!

Just hope we get building tools and a DM client.