Baldurs Gate 3?

Not even Noober?

Heya!

Bartleby?

Places seems likely - Baldur’s Gate is an actual city and they’re using the title so. . . yeah. But who knows for sure. I expect we’ll get some more information as we go forward.

Plotlines, I think the whole bhaal spawn thing was basically ditched eventually in the tabletop (by which I mean they just sort of said “ok that happened, let’s move on”). That may be something that shows up but it seems like the Mind Flayer, uh, “incursion” is going to be driving things and so far that doesn’t seem tied to anything specific in 1 or 2.

LOL. No.

BG3 follows a tabletop adventure dealing with the devils and the blood war, so it could very well link into the bhaalspawn at some point. Maybe you ally with the devils against the demons, or vice-versa. Hell you could even run into the Nameless One from PS:T.

Sure they could. But if that module created some sort of link between the Bloodwar and Bhaalspawn, it’s the first such link that exists to the best of my knowledge. The Bloodwar canonically predated (or I should say, existed before; it’s unending of course) the prime-material plane I think. Bhaalspawn were a result of an unreleated incident where the creator god woke up pissy one day and decided to kick most of the other gods out of their home planes and trapped them on the PM in a sort of weird reduced (but not powerless) state. At which point they largely continued to be insufferable assholes and the Bhaalspawn were a backup plan of Bhaal’s that did not go well. Or I guess maybe it did since they eventually reversed the decision to remove Bhaal, now that I think about it.

As an aside, I strongly urge everyone to never ever read the novelization of that whole god kerfluffle thing (a 3 book series no less).

I felt they got a little too much DOS:2 in my Baldur’s Gate what with setting bows aflame, evaporating water, and explosive barrels… But it still looked great. I’ll be there on day 1.

It didn’t, but Bhaal is chaotic evil and aligned with the demons. He’s actually alive again now after all the bhaalapawn were killed. So a story centering on the devils and blood war could logically touch on the demons too. It’s easy to see how they could pull it together with previous games, if they wanted to.

As somewon who lived on books from the DnD universe for about a decade and thinks Neverwinter Nights 2 is one of the best games ever created I am locked in.

Ugh this is such the wrong opinion. 4e didn’t fail because it was like an MMO. It was boring. Every ability was the same. All you got for leveling was more dice and more hp and all the enemies got it too and the game played the same at level 1 as level 10, except level 10 added effects that make you lose your turn.

Seriously be a fighter, wizard, rogue it doesn’t matter. You do appropriate damage for an ability at that level, it has a damage type, sometimes an effect that moves you, and it’s all so formulaic and sterile. Fighter shield bash roll 2d6 push 1 square. Wizard thunder wave roll 2d6 push 1 square. I hit with charisma I hit with strength just put your best stat in the thing your class says and it doesn’t matter at all. I could play a rogue and tell you I’m a wizard and you’d have no idea because the powers all do the same thing.

5e is a blessed system and everyone should try it.

I actually agree with @ArmandoPenblade on 4E. Of course, I’m not a serious PnP player, so rules are just suggestions anyway. I thought 4E was a pretty darned good miniatures game. That said, I can totally see why hardcore 3.5E folks hated it, and I think 5E is vastly better anyway.

This though? Man, I loooooooooooooved Original Sin 1 and 2, so a melding of that with 5E looks glorious. I’m so down.

This is exactly my stance right now.

Day one. But Scott is an eternal optimist for any game. I fear the worst for this one for some reason… a sense of dread.

Plus I haven’t gotten to Baldur’s gate yet on my replay with enhanced… Bandit Camp!

(you are an eternal optimist – just say yes)

This looks great and I desire the pure day 1 experience so much I shut off the reveal video after about 15 seconds of what I assume was the intro video of the game.

I also think I wanna replay BG1 and 2 prior to this launch.

Ok, you guys can go back to arguing over what color codpiece Barbarians are required to wear in D&D 4.5.

Epic, it ain’t.

I am firmly in @ArmandoPenblade’s camp - 4E was great. I keep meaning to check out 5E but it’s hard to work up excitement based on everyone’s description. I don’t think I am the target market.

Though I can certainly get behind a BG3 implementation from Larian. Crazy to think back to Divine Divinity almost 20 years ago.

Go pink or go home.

For me 5e is the best edition yet, and I’ve enjoyed all the editions (warts and all). The main thing 5e does is that it shifts the focus back to the narrative, but keeps all the sane mechanical improvements of 3e and 4e. On the surface is appears to be simpler, but my take is that it has shifted away from complexity for complexity’s sake and hides a lot of it under the hood. When it comes to making characters, you make fewer choices than in 3e and 4e - but the choices you make matter more, in a way I feel makes them more significant. The different classes and subclasses are flexible, allowing for a wide variety of characters.

TL;DR: In my opinion, D&D 5e has the feel of AD&D 2e, but has kept the good mechanical elements of 3e and 4e and combined it a splash of FATE. So: What @ArmandoPenblade said, basically.

As for Baldur’s Gate 3, I wish it manages to feel like it is a version of 5e, but I’m fine if it is not a 1:1 implementation. Solasta: Crown of the Magister seems like they’re aiming for doing that, so we’ll get to see how well or badly that approach will be too.

At any rate; super exited for BG3!

Disputing intentions invites devastation
A tempest must be true to its nature

But yeah, this game is going to be freaking amazing, don’t be afraid to invest your excitement into it!

I don’t remember how the first two games ended. Other than that, I’m not against having old characters reappear in Part 3. (Though having a completely different staff of writers 20 years after the fact is another potential complication. I mean, you can’t really step into the “head space” of a completely different group of people from 20 years ago.)