Baldurs Gate 3?

Not yet, not for me. I’m hoping it feels a lot more fun and polished at launch. Certainly there are aspects to it I enjoy, but I think I spent more time being annoyed/frustrated than actually having a good time.

Inventory is better now with the four characters lined up horizontally and icons look nice. However it’s still DOS in that you are cursor hunting for lootable containers every 60 seconds almost all of which will be empty or contain spoons.

I did. I’m posting that here for the benefit of others. ;)

Yeah, this is spot on. And Solasta shows how much more fun a close adherence to the ruleset actually is when done well.

Lots of good info in those posts above, but I have to say that the ruleset and combat is low on my interest level for an RPG of this style. And when I say it’s low, I mean that, as long as I’m not frustrated by it and it doesn’t get in the way of telling the story, I’ll be fine.

And I don’t mind if it’s just BG in a D:OS2 suit. I really enjoyed D:OS2 and, even if it’s not hearkening back to my BG/BG2 days of yore, that’s also not a negative.

So, I get that folks are looking for features that appeal to their gaming style and I’m hoping that they fix up whatever bugs y’all so you might have fun with it. I just don’t feel, looking at it from the outside, that it’s failing to live up to my expectations (which I’ve learned to always moderate somewhat these days).

Different strokes and all that. I quite enjoyed the bit I played of BG3 so far. The mishmash of DnD and DOS systems didn’t bother me. I also didn’t jump around and min/max my approaches to battles.

I like Solasta’s tactical rules a lot, but everything outside of those battles is a real downer for me.

I love Divinity, but Divinity worked because it had it’s own ruleset, imo.

See, I was non-stop frustrated by it. Oh that cool rogue you liked? He’s fucking useless, you’re stupid for even bringing him along he’s so bad. Also it’s not like combat is a complete cakewalk, so getting chain critted by 5 goblins on top of a house because you were stupid enough to talk to them and see some story isn’t fun either.

YMMV of course, but for me the ruleset was constantly strangling my enjoyment. My Warlock who can see in darkness can’t see in my darkness spell? Well, that’s fun, though hopefully just a bug, but given how long that’s been a thing, maybe it isn’t?

I think one of the bigger issues is the glacial pace of updates and feedback. The last real update was in Feb and it basically added Druids and didn’t change much else. People don’t like aspects of the combat, but the feedback from Larian is literally nothing. No feedback at all. They know about it because they take in tons of info, but they don’t respond to anything so people get into circular arguments about the same things, never knowing if it’s set in stone, will be changed or what the heck is going on.

Hell, I’m doing that myself right now. BG3 is really in the “I want to like this, but I don’t” for me right now. The story is okay, but the gameplay is close to unplayable for me. Like it just is not fun to me. I fact it’s frustrating to me. You know what I do with good games who’s gameplay frustrates me? I don’t play them.

Only I already gave them my money so I guess I’m just fucked at this point.

And, again, I love Larian. I just hate their process for this game right now. People want feedback, not cute videos of cows. Just having Swen do a minute Youtube video about where things are going and what we can expect would do wonders imo.

Magical Darkness overwhelms standard Darkvision in D&D.

Mostly because like every monster ever has Darkvision and they don’t want the spell to be useless…

Yup. If it’s a D&D game, the ruleset is the main reason I’m interested. Hence why Solasta has so much appeal.

As someone that feels very strongly that DOS2 was not especially competent and not at all well written, DOS2.5 would meet neither of those criteria for me.

Hot take: the D&D 5E ruleset isn’t very good, as a TTRPG in a general sense, as a system-vehicle for supporting creative and safe roleplay, OR as a basis for a tactical combat minis game, which is all it really goes out of its way to actually encourage, anyway.

At least 4E was good for the latter.

I do not. And like you, I suspect, I absolutely do not understand those who do. D&D always had the very worst rules for any fantasy RPG we played back in the day. But to each their own!

Same. Very, very much the same.

I mean, if someone wants to make me a faithful Dangerous Journeys or Sun & Storm CRPG I’ll preorder in a heartbeat. It’s not that D&D is the best, it’s just virtually the only PnP system that anyone can be bothered to adapt. And unfortunately, most CRPG’s these days that make up their own systems make up bad ones that lack both depth and breadth.

I find enough of them to be mostly fine, or at least serviceable enough – including DOS and DOS2, frankly. Anything that’s not D&D, I’m willing to be open to liking (which is just a personal opinion, obviously. For whatever reason, I just end up not a fan of D&D rules, though I’ve really liked games that have used them when the story and other elements of the game are strong enough.)

I prefer D&D rules over the Original Sin mechanics, which is I think the real rub here.

Yes, but Warlock’s Devil’s Sight specifically sees through magical darkness.

Like it’s a thing, possibly the most popular thing, to do with Warlocks, especially at low levels.

It’s just that for some reason Larian has coded Darkness as a fog effect. So Warlocks can’t see through it. With their ability who’s biggest draw is that it allows them to see through magical darkness.

Well I can’t help it that Larian are bad at reading, unfortunately 😂 :-D

Worse, it’s the same exact wording on the evocation when you take it on level up in game.

I mean, maybe it’s fixed next patch. But that patch could happen in September for all we know.
Or it could never be fixed.

Flashbacks to being charmed as an elf by Sirens in Baldur’s Gate. (or was I a half-elf?)

Yeah, they never coded the 90% resistance to charm and sleep iirc.

Yeah! Where are my GURPS, RuneQuest or Bushido-based CRPGs, man?