Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

In an effort to stop using the thread that mis-named this as “Baldur’s Gate 3” I’m just going to start a new one to post these newly released screenshots!

http://www.baldursgate.com/news_2012sep10.en.html

Enjoy! I think it’s looking pretty sharp, though I’d like to see it in action. If Torchlight 2 wasn’t on my radar during that same time period, I’d be picking this one up, plus I played both it and BG2 last year. I do plan on getting it here before the year is out though, I hope it turns out worth picking up!

Well it looks like Baldur’s Gate, that’s for sure. I’m amazed they didn’t change the UI. It’s so archaic.

Desperately waiting for this and Faster Than Light to arrive already. They’ve done quite a lot of bug stomping from reading BGEE’s forum and feature adding. I never had the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion and as I recall my dad accidentally saved over my game as I was about halfway through and I never went back. This time, I shall not be so easily thwarted.

Make way for Tiax!

Baldur’s Gate 2 isn’t out until next year? Hrmph. On the other hand, that means I might hit the level cap in Guild Wars 2.

Delayed until November (well, December basically):

Yeah, I saw that. Sort of a relief really, considering all the great stuff coming out now and very soon. Which might be why they did it now I think about it. Probably a smart move.

http://baldursgate.com/index.en.html

release should be today-ish (whatever time zone)

iPad version delayed AGAIN:

Sucks! It’s nice that PC version releases today but I think I am going to wait for the iPad one.

[edit] BTW does anyone else wish they would have started with BG2? I am not all that excited to play the original to be honest.

No, I feel the same way. Low level AD&D characters (versions 1, 2, and 3 anyway; I know nothing about 4) tend to be dull, especially mages. I think the game’s at its best in the 7-13 range, although a great DM can make both higher and lower levels interesting. BG2’s epic story handles the higher levels really well, so they qualify as a great DM. BG1, not so much.

I’m waiting for the Android version at an unspecified date myself. I’m not that excited to replay BG on the PC. But it would be much more fun to be able to play it on the move (or on holiday).

Wendelius

I don’t know how you expect to play bg on a small touch screen…

That’s a damned shame. I saw that this thread had been updated and I got all excited about being able to grab it from the Apps Store tonight.

And I agree that BG2 is a far superior game, but I don’t mind them doing the first one first. My hope is that they work out the kinks with the smaller game and then the much larger, longer one will not take as long.

Anyone know whether they will/could have the rights for the other Infinity Engine games? I would love to play Planescape: Torment in bed on my iPad, and I never got around to the Icewind Dale games.

Dupe deleted – my anxiety has dwindled enough to only require one post.

So upset you posted it twice ;p

It’s not really a remake anyway, it’s a port. They didn’t update the interface, change to more modern ruleset, and don’t even have high resolution backgrounds. Since BG and BG2 run just fine on modern PCs, there’s no compelling reason to pay for it again. I suppose you might want to get it on your mobile device, but I question how well the UI will work with touch-- I suggest waiting on reviews and not instantly tapping buy in your app store of choice.

I don’t see any value in the PC version, though I think they did say they added some content. But a tablet version of a lot of old games would be interesting to me, this one included.

There are many people who played the original who would never install a bunch of different modpacks, even if they were in a single one click installer, to replay this game. I think it will sell fairly well on the PC.

And for the people who are willing to dig into mods, this version is even more moddable than the original. Supposedly you can yank out the entire UI and things that required major hacks can now be hooked into directly.

Then why didn’t they yank out the ui?