Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

The iOS version of BGII:EE is down to 3 bucks, at least for the weekend. Which means I just bought it for a fourth time (original version on CD, then on GoG, then enhanced on Steam and now for my iPad).

It’s 2.50 on Android.

I find it a bit tough to play on a phone screen. I could see this working on something just a bit larger like the Switch.

I had no idea about the Circle of Eight mod for ToEE. Will certainly check this out.

It says, on the iOS app store that it’s not meant to be played on any device with a screen smaller than 7 inches.

Well there ya go :)

My beef with all of the games that used this engine and similar rulesets, was that the AI never took into account how many turns were wasted by your party trying to path somewhere, and it happened almost without fail every fight. Watching one of your melee characters take 5 turns to figure out how to walk 3 spaces, while being bombed by AI mages to oblivion was just about rage-quit for me.

The ruleset for these games is bad at best, but it’s horrible when the bad pathing gets added into it.

Massive patch today

Got to hand it to them, the value offered is questionable, but it’s neat that such a landmark all time great game is being updated so it plays smoothly on modern hardware.

I’ve found I have trouble dealing with how weird the character movement is in these games anymore.

That and 2E is a tough sell for me anymore, but really it’s mostly the movement.

This always bothers me as well - I hate that when you click on a location to send everyone to, they halt for a beat and then start moving again, and you do it a LOT in the game, dozens of time while walking from point to point, and you can’t click to walk into the fog of war, which makes it more annoying. That said, I’m able to ignore it and enjoy my time with these games, but I totally understand it being a source of contention. Plus the herky/jerky animations - mostly a problem now as we’ve seen how smooth this can all work/look and that has never been updated in these older games, which is a shame.