Banished (survival city building)

The lastest dev blog talks about the distance people needed to go to get to their workplace and what he is doing to make it better. I found it interesting after the Sim City problem of getting the sim citizens to their prospective job. Amazing how a one man team can work on fixing a problem that the larger Maxis team seemed to have a problem with. Not trying to pick on the Maxis team as much as praising the Banished Dev.

This game has a lot of promise. Can’t wait to hear about the final version.

Holy crap will this dude take my money and let me play the alpha already?! :)

I am just amazed!

The Dev continues to smarten up the pathing in this game.

I love reading his journal entries.

So its looks more like the release window is EARLY 2014

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=2008

The only thing I’m worried about is the late game. If space is limited, you might end up expanding super fast… And since it seems like combat is fairly limited / no combat, hopefully the game doesn’t get boring as you get bigger.

Yeah, this is kind of my fear too. Combine that with (I think) the inability to delve deeper underground and (I think) little or no contact with an external world, and I’m afraid that the challenge and variety may turn a bit sterile after a short while.

Still, I love his development posts and the engine he seems to have made, so I plan on supporting him with a bargain purchase someday. If I see some amazing reviews and/or if he ever decides to add combat and a greater outer/under world component, then I’d be persuaded to buy sooner and at full-ish price.

According to the Dev (he did a question and answer session on Reddit) the price will be around $20!

He answers a lot of questions I have seen posed here on the boards so those interested may want to read through it.

He has several ideas for expansions, may add combat (but would have a switch to shut combat off etc). Sounds like he will add modding but it will not be ready for release.

He has several other ideas for projects that he may start prototyping for a bit before working on additional content (just to take a break from Banished for awhile).

He also stated that players will probably be able to play on the same map for weeks (for those who were worried about size).

Only $20? Might have to gift a few copies. Sad its not going to be out for the holidays.

Yes, I was hoping to play on my Christmas Vacation. But I cannot fault him for listening to his testers.

Release date announced:

02/18/2014

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=2066

I have to say: I’m really not in the habit of adopting games early these days, especially not ones where I haven’t played a demo or had the chance to see a lot of Youtube LPs, but the joy I get out of reading this guy’s development updates almost has me feeling like I owe him the money for that alone. :)
…That plus his game’s villages with little thatched rooves and trees and sparkling water look too awesome to ignore.

I agree wholeheartedly - I feel like I got to know him through his dev blog entries so I have to buy the game immediately!

Yeah, I’m just waiting for the preorder button to show up :)

How did I never hear about this before? Steam page bookmarked, and eagerly awaiting the date.

Thankfully we still have Limit Theory for frequent, one man game development blog updates.

I also need to build installers for Non-Steam builds. This is pretty easy to do, but the installers also have to be tested on all operating systems and patching support needs to be tested.

• dev blog Dec 6th 2013

Cool, i’m so happy it won’t drift into a Steam-only game.

He put up a little video showing off the visuals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0oxBJPiq4k&feature=youtu.be

I am going to love this.

Just thought I’d let people know that a few LPers have been playing with prerelease versions of Banished as a promotional thing; at least three or four of them have been showing up on the r/Banished subreddit in the last couple of weeks. This game is looking really good…I can’t wait.