Banner Saga 3 - The Conclusion

Now in Kickstarter!

Per the FAQ at the bottom:

Funded!

And some stretch goals, including playable Dredge!

This is…odd. Twitch is giving Prime members The Banner Saga 1 and 2 for free. If you play either game through the Twitch Launcher, Twitch will donate $1 to The Banner Saga 3 funding, up to $200,000 total.

Summer 2018

Nice! Thanks for the info!

Somehow, and not sure why, i just bounced of Banner Saga 2 :(.

I think I was looking for either an rpg or a strategy game, not a choose your own adventure type thing, although in principle I totally love this kind of game :(.

Also all 3 games got their own combined trailer:

Excellent! Good timing, I don’t (yet) know of any competing games in that time frame.

This is out in 5 days, not much news coming out, so I figured I’d give the thread a bump.

Well I was very wrong here…

It released yesterday!

Is the Trilogy packed into a single executable? That would be cool.

So has anyone played the entire trilogy?

I saw part 3 was mentioned on a few GOTY lists.

I did. Very happy with how they wrapped it up. I didn’t play many new games this year but it’s certainly up there for me.

The final installment is awesome indeed. If you played the first two, no reason at all to wait.

If you have not played any of them yet, I would wait a year or so to see whether they put together a combined-ultimate-edition of sorts. I doubt it, though, as it is a very small company and they seem very exhausted from exclusively working on Banner Saga for so long…

Finally got around to playing the final installment.

All in all, it’s a nice tale. Classic High Fantasy, without being derivative in any obvious ways (though this last part does remind a bit of a classic work of fiction). I like how some of the choices from the first two games came back to have significance in this one. Also the music: 10/10.

Didn’t Like:
The lack of a real denouement. I don’t need to know what every single hero did after, but they could have done more than this. Especially since it seems like they actually produced the assets for some exposition (visible in the ending credits).

What happens to the Ravens? Did Bolverk die? What was his deal, actually? What happens to Eyvind now (and what is to prevent him from going mad a few hundred years down the line and pulling the sun out of the sky again?) Did Juno really tell the truth about what she had been doing to Eyvind (her story doesn’t really fit with what the other Valka say)? What happens now to the balance of power between Varl, Human, Dredge and Horseborn?

Then there are storylines that kind of get dropped by the wayside or which just appear out of nowhere. Fasolt had a message for Alette (or… apparently not). What was Canary doing at the end of TBS2? Bellower appears… and disappears. Oh, Eyvind was the head of the Valka all along? Really!?

I also didn’t think the “Return to Arberrang” mechanic works as intended. There is so much extra exposition in those sequences, but you don’t get to see them if you’ve played effectively - so essentially the game ends up punishing players for playing well.

Also, I found Iver’s magic arm incredibly distracting/annoying. For a game as acclaimed and (presumably) successful as this, I don’t understand the rationale for not spending the relatively small expense to create one extra image for (IMO) the main protagonist of the story.

If you can tolerate or like the combat system (I don’t hate it, but I’ll never like the rubber-banding mechanism they implemented) and the relatively repetitive fights, I’d still say it’s a game worth playing through if you like a good saga. And probably better to play in one go, than spread out over several years.