Banner Saga: Turn-based Viking RPG

First, I need an app that will construct a tapestry from drunken photos of a night out. Second, I will buy this game for the art style and the Shining Force love.

This game is looking amazing. I’m pretty sure vikings + turn-based is the best combination of things ever. Remember Hammer of the Gods? Loved it!

This looks fantastic, but as far as video games based on stylish Viking-themed animation, I’m afraid this is my second choice.

Have to say that I don’t really see the faintest connection to either King of Dragon Pass or X-Com (two of my favorite games ever) in that trailer, so to me, that all just seems like empty name-dropping for the sake of exciting fans. Is there some other source of information about the game that provides more detail?

Thank you for this link. I appreciate it greatly.

This thing is now on kickstarter.

That’s a bit…uh…weird I think. I thought this was going to be something no matter what? While the game looks awesome, I think they do seem to want to capitalize on riding the kickstarter wave while it lasts.

I mean - They sure did seem to have funding previously - What changed?

Well, I don’t know what their intended budget is, but the kickstarter goal is only $100.000, so maybe they just want some extra funding.

It also means they don’t have to cater to any publisher.

The premise and artwork looks great, so I easily kicked in $10.

They propably realised they would be able to get additional funds through kickstarter, be totally independent and don’t need to “starve”. When they started Kickstarter was not an option now it is. It is fine by me to take advantage of new opportunities. I am in.

Seems odd to put it on Kickstarter now, but it looks good enough to put down $10 on.

Gotta say that poster looks f’'n tight.

-Tim

Tempted to sign up for Kickstarter…I never did get around to it for the Double Fine game.

Only the first episode, though? I really hate this current theme in gaming where buying a game only nets you a tiny portion of the content.

To be fair, $10 gets you all the Chapter 1 content, so it doesn’t seem like they’re overpromising. And multiplayer, so that seems like a decent deal.

Man, that tee-shirt looks really nice.

I thought the same thing.

I’m in for $10 as well.

tiny portion of the content? All the content is the first episode.

It’s just a naming scheme. Would you have a different opinion if instead of being called “Banner Saga: Chapter 1” (with chapter 2 and 3 coming later) would be called “Banner Saga” (with Banner Saga 2 and 3 coming later)??

It does look great. I kind of want one. Not at $100, but I kind of want one.

EDIT: Ooh, it also looks like they’ve created a second $50 tier for just the unsigned poster (w/o the family crest in the game or the button at the other $50 tier).

Well, usually these things ARE actually different.

In the chapter 1,2,3… example, the story is usually paced to leave you hanging in the air after each installation, because - obviously - the conclusion is only planned after the final chapter.
In the (unnumbered),2,3 example, each game usually presents a self-contained storyline which sometimes even can be played just as well without ever having played the previous installation.
(Though the chapter games often also make this possible by reiterating what happened in previous episodes, which can be ok, but can always be somewhat annoying.)
Seeing how many of those chapter games are either canned after the first (couple of) episode(s) or stall indefinately at some point (hello there Half-Life) I can totally see where he’s coming from.

rezaf