Bargain Thread 2016

The Borderlands Prequel is simply terrible - highly recommend not wasting money on it! Voice acting is just atrocious.

In summary of ten minutes’ worth of opinions, feelings are mixed. But it’s probably worth your $3 to find out.

Generally, reviews of the Prequel said it was fine, but not up to the higher levels of the BL2 DLC (Dragon Keep in particular) and in general the reviewers had played enough Borderlands 2 by the time it rolled around.

A score of 75 on metacritic does not qualify as “simply terrible”. I agree with @stusser, if you are sick of Borderlands 2 you aren’t going to like it, but if more of that kind of game sounds cool to you, you’ll like it. (I liked it, but then again I didn’t replay B2 three times as each character class or anything…)

There’s a big Focus Interactive Weekend sale happening on Steam. Lots of games with good discounts there, including some Qt3 “favorites” like Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, Mordheim: City of the Damned, and the Wargame series. There’s even stuff @BrianRubin would recommend, like Space Run.

I need to dive back into Gothic, they’ve done a lot of post-release support for it.

BTW, the daily deal is an excellent baseball light sim:

It got me interested in baseball, so I guess it’s pretty good. ;)

Super Mega Baseball: two very big thumbs up.
Borderlands: The Prequel: fuck this regurgitation of BL2. I’m rarely very pissy about money spent on games that just didn’t make my cut, but I’m pissy about this one. A tired re-hash. Bollox.

Dude, you are always pissy about games you buy that don’t make your cut. It’s kind of your thing. Kind of all of our thing, when I stop to think about it.

I played the game, or attempted to. It was simply terrible (in my opinion.) It ended up being a waste of time and I absolutely loved BL1 and 2. After deleting the prequel, I went and launched into another playthrough of BL2. But yeah, it’s only $3 so not a huge loss.

Rock8man, these guys are a lost cause. Let’s get out of here before we start “trying” mediocre games to see if we like them, as if there aren’t already hundreds of great games to play!

Homefront the Revolution is free to play for the next 2 days on Steam. It is also discounted to $23.99 for the duration.

An even better price (and a method which supports QT3) is the boxed copy from Amazon for $15.48.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCDP7WC/

@AntediluvianArk, you also found it cheap on Amazon, I was just coming to post that! :)

Looks like the box has a steam key in it, so I bought one.

Every time I hear of this game I confuse it with Republic: The Revolution. Someone really needs to remake that and get it right this time.

I just bought Space Run and it’s a really interesting / fun twist on the tower defense genre. I actually was reading more about the latest, Space Run Galaxy, but a lot of people complained it had no tutorial and was hard, so thought I’d go with the original.

it’s fun. 75% off. Only $3.74

I tried it out too not long ago. It is fun but as it progresses becomes quite tedious as you manually control the turrets. One of the possible upgrades you can buy should have been an ai module for the turrets. Anyway I eventually gave up on it. Decent discount on the price you listed though.

I’ve only made it to the 5th mission so far and at the 5th mission, I can see that it’s getting more hectic and re-aligning 4 or more turrets is a PITA, so I can see what you’re talking about.

However, this also reminds me of other TD games that have the persistent upgrades and grading you on how well you did (1-5 stars) - like Orcs Must Die or Kingdom Rush for example, where it is often necessary to revisit earlier levels to 5 star them once you get all the fancy upgrades.

With the new upgrades (shields! / Power!) and the various abilities they have, I’m still learning better configurations on how to plan for these. Just as you layout a path on a normal TD game, you have to put a lot of thought into the planning. And yet there are so many upgrades still gated behind my reputation level, so I am kind of drooling at all the cool toys I will eventually get.

There is a lot more twitchy-ness in this game that other TD games where at most you just upgrade towers. This requires constant tweaking / adjustments but so far it’s manageable because of the information given (what direction new threats are coming & how long you have till they arrive) so you can prioritize your next moves. We’ll see how it’s going in another 10 levels ;-)

Tropico 4 is free on the Humble Store for the next day.