Bargain Thread 2018

My daughters would kill for this game.

Microtransactions killed that game for me. I mean, I get all the cute riding outfits and pop culture outfits for Barbie ($0.99-$2.99 each set), but some of it is ridiculous. Like you can only brush your unicorn’s mane once and then your brush breaks and you need a new one (pack of 5 brushes, $1.99). Don’t even get me started on the special Fairy Feed you need to buy ($0.99 per bag) if you want him to fart rainbows as he flies. And the hats…so many hats. Why the fuck does a unicorn even need a hat, he has a fucking horn on his head!!! It’s shameless.

It’s fine if you want to ride a starter unicorn around and look at the tulips, but if you actually want to progress you only get 40 Kenergy per day, which is maybe 4 or 5 blueberry pies or one uncommon mane ribbon if you’re lucky-- not even a rare! Of course you can pay for more Kenergy, that’s how they get you.

Two words: Request Wednesday

That is a very good price for The Elven Legacy Collection. It and Fantasy Wars are games that should still have me playing them, but neither of them ever quite held my attention for long. I think it was the time requirements–so many turns to win the scenarios which made it difficult not only to win but also to find and loot the various treasures hidden on the map.

On the other hand, I have spent many hours playing Warlock: Master of the Arcane.

I’ll throw out there that I completely loved Elven Legacy, even though I can’t argue with it being somewhat puzzly and lacking in a unique soul/spark. Can’t go wrong with it at that price if it sounds remotely appealing.

I do not see a crown anywhere on my twitch app.

The crown is on the website, not the app.

In the app, go to my games, and then click get more games and it should show games where you can claim offer.

I guess that just takes you to a website, and it doesn’t mark them clearly so it is easier to just do it through the twitch web interface.

The app is useless for the Amazon stuff. I wanted to get the link between Twitch/Amazon/Fortnite and could not do it even through my phone. You have to be at a personal computer.

Or you can put your phone browser on desktop mode and go to the twitch website that way.

Yeah, tried that and kept getting shunted to the Twitch app at various points in the process. It’s a nightmare.

Does it have decent Multiplayer capabilities?

No idea, it never occurred to me to check. But much of the appeal of the campaign for me was the persistence layer of striving to keep my units alive and gaining new abilities, so a single disconnected skirmish with units that I have no attachment to doesn’t seem that appealing.

This reminded me that I’d bought the Elven Legacy series but only played the first two games. I got a fit of enthusiasm to reinstall them, went hunting for them everywhere only to find in my email that I had bought them from Stardock back in the day and they are now of course lost. Thanks Brad.

@Coldsteel, you can still install impulse if you really want to play them:

https://www.gamestop.com/gs/popups/downloads_about.aspx

Despite trying all manner of fixes I found on the internet, I am unable to download any games using either the Gamestop or older Impulse apps. It always come back with an “unable to connect to server” message.

I can however still play games that were already installed years ago after I bought this laptop.

Wow, that sucks then.

Well luckily I guess most of the games I either don’t want to play now or are replaceable cheaply. But the principle sucks.

It is worth noting that some can be activated on Steam, such as Supreme Commander and Shogun 2.

I can’t even get a download of the app from the website. Even though it mentions it in the faq for purchases prior to 2014.